JustStarted

family car for 7-8 years ?

Hi Experts,

i am looking to buy a car in next 1-2 months. let me tell you more about my need/usage.

- i have never been behind stering wheel till now.( my driving lessons tart from wednesday).

- i work as freelancer from home itself so car will not be used daily.

- i am really not sure about monthly running it will be first car in our family so we all are very excited and want to drive a lot.

- if you remove highway running dont think it will run more than 100-150 kms in city itself.

- overall i am not expecting more than 10K km running pa.

- i want to keep it for 8-10 years ( if possible) means i will not sell it unless it start giving me too much trouble.

- it will be family car and i really want to take it highways and long runs. so space and comfort is very important.

- i don't care whats the top speed of car or how many seconds it takes to reach 100, just it should be comfortable to drive with 5 people and ac on highway.

- maintenance shouldn't burn my pocket too much.

- i am the only one who will drive the car.

- budget - vista aqua QJ is my limit, nothing more than it. i will buy in cash so even if i save 10k thats great.

i have shortlisted 3 cars.

i10 magna 1.2

+ good city/highway car

+ peace of mind for 7-8 yrs, only regular servicing is needed.

+ good A.S.S.

+ great discount and offers.

+ will cost me 4.5 lakhs with all bells and whistles.

+ isaves around 1 lakh comapre to vista QJ

- space and comfort maybe a issue on long drives.

vista Aqua tdi

+ space and comfort

+ disel economy

+ old engine but good enough to do the job

+ easy on maintenance

+ cheap

- TATA A.S.S

- niggling issues (specially after 3-4 years of running).

- not sure if it will be good for such long term

but on another thought i think its good enough for 70-80k kms. means for my kind of running it will work ok for alteast 7-8 yrs.

vista Aqua QJ

+ all knows the positives.

if i decide on i10 then guess will buy in december or jan first week (because of offers) and if i decide on vista then i will buy it around march.

i am very much inclined towards vista tdi or QJ, it gives me space and comfort plus disel economy (to drive carefree).

this forum has really bad reputation for tata cars in genral but i see so many indicas running (not cabs , private vehicles) so it really leave me confuse.

and now more i read more i get confused.so really need your help .

Thanks

Hi Juststarted & welcome to the forum.

As your specified running isn't much, I think a petrol car would do fine.

For 7-8 yrs. of ownership, i10 should serve you good & is comfortable & burn a hole in the pocket for maintenance needs.

Tata Indica Vista QJ is also a good car, more spacious than the i10, but 7-8 yrs. would be a little iffy for me & Tata ASS cannot match Hyundai's.

Go ahead & buy i10, it seems the best choice for your requirements.

If its gonna be 7-8 yrs, forget about the tata.

The i10 is the car for you..and as far as long drives are concerned, thats the only downside to the i10.but as u have said, its your first car and the running wont be great and will mostly be in the city..go for the i10 I say.

hmm

i read somewhere new diesel engines are good and can run for upto 200k kms specially fiat mjd engine.

also yes car wont be used much daily routines but as its our first we all very excited to take it on long drives and visit places around upto 2000 km round trip.

and for such long tips i10 may not be comfortable that the only reason i am thinking for any other options otherwise i know i10 suits best.

Thanks

If long term reliability is a concern & Fiat MJD is on the mind, why not try the Swift Diesel! It will surely be more reliable than Tata Indica & Maruti's service is among the best.

hmm

i read somewhere new diesel engines are good and can run for upto 200k kms specially fiat mjd engine.

also yes car wont be used much daily routines but as its our first we all very excited to take it on long drives and visit places around upto 2000 km round trip.

and for such long tips i10 may not be comfortable that the only reason i am thinking for any other options otherwise i know i10 suits best.

Thanks

Diesel will prove to be too expensive for your usage. Diesel is for daily usage and app 1000kms per month average.

so in your case, i10 will be the best choice, its a nice car with good looks, performance and features. even i10 has an Automatic Transmission version that you may wanna look into. keep us posted
harryccc2008-12-01 17:25:46

hey juststarted,

i think Vista QJ with regular servicing wil do the job for 10yrs...but if u r still not convinced with Vista reliability..why not Logan 1.4petrol , i think its priced similar to Vista QJ..its spacious n is a petrol so less maintanance..or Hyundai Getz prime 1.1 or 1.3 petrol? its spacious..but getz is not selling that much..

speed>>

swift doesn't offer comfort and space i am looking for.

harry

Diesel will prove to be too expensive for your usage

>>can you please explain a bit your this point, i read that nowdays diesel cars are comparable to petrol cars in maintenance cost. (10-15% high).

tappet.

>>1.1 is underpowered for highway use. and i think once i20 launched getz will be discontinued sooner or later. so parts may not be available after 5-6 years. otherwise getz 1.3 is perfect car for me i think.

do you people think i20 1.2 will come in 5 laks OTR i seriously doubt that.

As of now, i10 is the best petrol hatch in its category & Swift Diesel is the best hatch in its category.

i10 1.1L should be alright for occasional highway use, one won't really find it underpowered, unless one is performance oriented!

i20 should ideally be a little expensive than the Getz.

The initial cost of acquiring a diesel car is high + the heavier maintenance, only the ones who will run it in excess of Lakhs of Kms, will be able to recover the extra costs. Or during resale, diesel would fetch higher, but after 7-8 yrs. costs will get evened out & such a old diesel won't find many takers.

hmm

Thanks

hey... i missed out to read this post! ok am sure i10 IS comfortable for long drives, it is better comfortable than Swift which has space crunch. if you can strech your budget and dont want i10, then i can provide other options.  let me know!

if you are looking for Diesel, Palio Multijet is a lot better than Swift. dont fall prey for the so called "wide service network" and buy an inferior product. Servicing for any car is done by dealers and almost all of them are looters, so it doesnt matter much on a new car buyuing decision. as it is your first car, i would suggest Palio Multijet

but i would still see you a qualified customer for petrol and not diesel and i firmly suggest i10 for you. Try out the 1.2 kappa Automatic version, you will like it. i20 will def be more than 5L range
harryccc2008-12-01 18:04:52

i10 will not be comfortable for long journeys. Space is also less and cannot seat 5 comfortably.

Tata is a strict no for 8 years of ownership. Especially the tdi is the worst of the lot.

Palio multi jet is the best option for you. The 1.3mjd engine is reliable and offers good FE. Palio will be more comfortable and spacious too. Palio is good for highway driving and feels like a big car. I read in ACI december issue that Fiat has slashed Palio price to make it on par with competition. Fiat is solidly bulid to withstand for 7-8 years. Fiat will definitely improve its service network prior to Linea's launch(ACI december issue). Go for Palio multijet.

mjd earlier was in my list but removed it because of issue with parts availability and high cost of ownership.

and once mjd discontinued i think parts availability will be big issue with palio.

otherwise i know its build to last long and comes in my budget.

seems i10 is best option for peace of mind

@Just started- Actually Hyundai Getz 1.1 or 1.3 suits your requirements. I dont think we should expect 1.2 i20 below 5.75 lacs OTR. I guess you should wait for the i20 and stretch your budget a wee bit. You get a new ,bigger & roomier car which could well meet your needs.

JS, with space and comfort u want think abt getz1.1, as wont be ruled out by hyundai. good city car with roomier cabin and also okay for highways, yes a bit underpowered but wont disappoint you, only thing is that its resale value might not be as good at that time, else its a good car. i10 1.2 kappa engine is doin wonders but wont be comfortable for 5. TATA no for 7-8 years of ownership. swift is also a good car but wont be that comfortable with rear seats and small boot.

@ just started. I second Karan raheja. Getz or I-20 will be the car best suited for your use.. wait for I-20 to come.. your all requirements will be fulfilled... I guess they will put I-20 base version with 1.2 kappa engine and will price around 5.30 on road.. However if it is priced too far form your budget, go for Getz 1.3. Once the I-20 is lauched, you will get good bargain.. Santro and Accent, both are selling today after the launch of I-10 & Verna, hence we can guess that Getz will also be available for some time. Generally company will provide parts for 10 years, once the car is discontinued. So you should not bother for Getz parts for your holding of 7-8 years.. I drive Getz and I find it the best Hatche in the town.It has the ideal combination of cabin space and boot space. I-10 & Vista both have smaller boot comapared to Getz. So you have to restrict your baggage, when you are travelling..

Diesel is out of question..your driving do not permit extra money in buying & amitaining the diesel car.. Though current diesel are good like petrol, their maitanance is always higher then petrol. Palio is generation old product and on the verge of disontinuation..So avodi palio. Vista is good only if you decide for Q-Jet Aura model..

All the best.

mjd earlier was in my list but removed it because of issue with parts availability and high cost of ownership.

and once mjd discontinued i think parts availability will be big issue with palio.

otherwise i know its build to last long and comes in my budget.

seems i10 is best option for peace of mind

mjd is doing well and it is already on 5 cars and still counting. I don't think that Fiat will discontinue mjd just like that.

As per your usage, it is wise to go for petrol like others said. In the current range, only i10 kappa suits your requirement. If you can, wait for i20/grande punto.

when i mentioned mjd i meant palio mjd not the engine. sorry for confusion.

how about accent executive ? few days back i read someone got it around 5.1 lakh on road with all discount and all.

Thanks

i know of someone who has got it for 4.75. but why do you want to buy such an old model... Accent is so many years old on the roads, buy a relatively new model, you will feel better when you drive around.

1) i10 is the best petrol option keeping your usage in mind. it is comforatable for long drives, if you think abt 5ppl in the car, even accent is not comfortable for 5ppl. Swift is out of question but Palio comes in handy here.

2) Palio MJD is really performing car, the only issue is the resale value which shouldnt bother you at all coz you are looking for a long term ownership. Apparently fiat will extend its service network with all the new models coming in next year like Linea and Punto

3) If you can wait for some time and strech your budget, nothing like i20. thats the way to go.

@Just started - Accent Executive is good buy. Its sure VFM but the rear bench aint very comfy. Since rear comfort was on your priority i dont think it would be good option also its been around for ALMOST a decade. Since you keeping car for 7-8 years i dont think re sale would be that imp. I would say you shortlist between Hyundai getz or Hyundai i20. I think these two would fit your bill.