vippy81

Advise me on my fist car

Hi,

I am planning to buy my first car.

- Budget capped at 4.5/5 lacs.

- Avg. monthly running roughly will be 600 (in-city) + 300 (highways). though it will increase I guess.

- Car should be comfortable for 1000 kms. round trip once in a while & rough terrains.

- Ownership period roughly 7-8 years. will buy big car after 3 years but will keep this.

- VFM, Comfort,FE are top 3 parameters in decreasing priority

- My auto industry knowledge is close to zero.

Based on my extensive reading I have zeroed in on i10, a-star, Indigo CS (petrol). Swift, getz will be slightly out of budget I believe.

between i10 & a-star, I more or less know about pros & cons however any tips on Indigo CS are welcome.

Also within these three which variant will score more based on my parameters

I would appreciate if gurus from this forum could help me on buying a great new car

Hi Vippy, is it a petrol or a diesel car you are interested in? For around 600km/month petrol is fine though.

How many people would be travelling in the car? As if going to be 4-5, i10 is the one to opt. But if 2-4 would be using it, A-Star it is.

Indigo CS is also a good car, but for 7-8 yrs. of usage, is iffy IMO.  Also if boot is a must for luggage, then Indigo makes sense.

sorry. not 120000 but 12000.

passengers will be at max 3 for 90% time. as for boot at least a normal size suitcate + 1-2 bags should fit and seats should be foldable to allow more luggage sometimes.

Well, diesel qualifies if running is > 20-25 km a day.

Yes, long term ownership of petrol is better than diesel, but modern diesels are sufficiently reliable & comparable to petrols.

For 3 on board, A-Star is also sufficient, but it is lower than your specified budget. In 4-5L range, try i10 & Swift.

These days discounts/schemes are abound, you can even plonk a sedan for hatch's money. Im indicating towards- Ikon/Logan/Indigo, keeping in mind boot capacity.
speed2008-12-07 08:50:12

given ur priorities, requirements and budget, you can first rule out the A star..

I am not sure about the i10 either..such cars are not exactly great highway material..

The vista could be an option, but since u are planning to keep it for 7-8 years, am again not too sure..its hugely improved over the old indica but i have my reservations in terms of long term reliability.

if you think you might have to drive it over bad roads, that almost rules out the swift and i10. both have stiff suspensions and given that comfort is your priority number 1..dont go for them.

that brings us to the getz and u-va.i dont think they are out of your budget..both have very similar characteristics..great comfort, space, an adequate boot..great for highway cruising and nimble in the city as well..FE will be lesser than i10/a star but they offer great comfort..

I would rather advice you to go for Maruti Suzuki A-Star. This is one of the recent innovations of Maruti that has a blend of futuristic technologies. A-Star is designed with technical precision and delivers impressive fuel-efficiency along with unmatched performance and acceleration. It is also said that A-Star is the first car in Indiaon> that is designed with about 85% of its car parts recyclable. It also meets the upcoming emission norms in Indiaon>.

Thanks Speed, Viraj & DTC for your inputs.

I test drove i10 & a-star yesterday. (asta & zxi)

I liked a-star looks and did not have issues with visibility or high dash board. I also felt reasonably comfy in rear seat (i'm 5'8). boot space is less but even i10 is not that great. Interiors, yes plastic quality of 10 seems better but a-star's dash looks more funky.

me & my wife both are newbies when it comes to driving so we drove but could not abuse it. we drove a-star on slightly bad roads than i10 & we felt some structural noises (can it be a demo car issue) while i10 driving was really smooth.

Personally, I am inclined towards a-star because

- Mostly it will be two passengers so rear leg space being slighly less is not that big an issue and since we are not that tall, we can adjust front seats slightly more to get more space at back if required.

- It has similar features to i10 at roughly 60k less

However its new car while i10 is well tried n tested.

What to do?

Welcome Vippy, Maruti has designed A-Star keeping in mind nuclear families, so if 2-3 people are going to use the car, its a good choice. You would get added advantage of High Fuel efficiency & save lot of money in the first place(low selling price).

The structural noises you mentioned could be due to a misused/abused car.But Marutis are prone to noises & rattles too.

if its going to be just the two of u...then the a star makes sense.

as for the noises, you will have to live with it..the demo cars are usually driven quite hard by customers..but you can expect your new a star to make noises as well.its common to all MS cars...even the grand vitara isnt spared..if u can live with it, its the a star for you

Thanks Speed' date=' Viraj & DTC for your inputs.

I test drove i10 & a-star yesterday. (asta & zxi)

I liked a-star looks and did not have issues with visibility or high dash board. I also felt reasonably comfy in rear seat (i'm 5'8). boot space is less but even i10 is not that great. Interiors, yes plastic quality of 10 seems better but a-star's dash looks more funky.

me & my wife both are newbies when it comes to driving so we drove but could not abuse it. we drove a-star on slightly bad roads than i10 & we felt some structural noises (can it be a demo car issue) while i10 driving was really smooth.

Personally, I am inclined towards a-star because

- Mostly it will be two passengers so rear leg space being slighly less is not that big an issue and since we are not that tall, we can adjust front seats slightly more to get more space at back if required.

- It has similar features to i10 at roughly 60k less

However its new car while i10 is well tried n tested.

What to do?
[/quote']

first of all, A Star is not for rough terrains, its just a small car for city drives.

i10 is also not best suited for terrain drives but out of the two i will choose i10.

A Star's engine doesnt quality to be compared with that of i10, and thats why the price difference of 60K, i will say A-Star is expensive for the product what it is!

first of all' date=' A Star is not for rough terrains, its just a small car for city drives.[/quote']

Who said it is an SUV!!

A-Star has good ride among small cars.

For more info. refer to A-Star TD thread by FRG.

Forget the A-star. Its not for you man, not for your usage. I should say its designed for the minority midgets.

For 5 lakhs the best option is smiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gifsmiley4.gif 

INDICA VISTA AQUA QUADRAJET

Torque, Mileage, Features, Style, riding Comfort, Handling, Big Space.

for 30,000 more, you have the Aura version. I can boldly say there is no other CAR in the current market to beat this car in this class.

jbond8302008-12-08 14:46:39

I think Indigo CS GLX is very good at 4.5 lakhs on road price.

Enough boot space and sedan with luxurious features at this rate .5 persons can seat easily . But as You have said you require for only two persons than you can go for small cars at a lower price.

Archit and Mehul, There are strong rumours doing round about the possibility of Ford shutting shop! I am not sure about advising anyone into buying a Ford @this time!

VISTA Quadrajet is the way to go bro!

hey, I too was in the same dilemma as yours (BUDGET 4.5lacs). But when I test drove A-star, i10 (1.1, 1.2) and Vista, I was rather disappointed with A-star when compared to i10 1.1. Vista had a very good engine but poor interior(dull-outdated) quality. I finally decided on i10 1.2 sportz and have no regrets!!

Thanks everyone.

I will test drive vista before making any decision.

@Jeevs: i10sportz does not have ABS+airbags. so between i10 sportz & a-star if we assume that price difference is attributed to i10's better engine, trade-off is between space vs. safety.

am I right or am I missing something ? and if I am right, I will tilt towards safety as we will have two passengers 90% of the time.

Vippy if thats the case than go for A-star Zxi if you think that its fine car otherwise out of the 2 i would opt i10..

And sharash well i dont think that Ford will shut down their shops as recently they have launched ikon Diesel and good amount of investment had been gone into that and these days m seeing some ikons(New diesel) in my city...I think its got decent response though not good..

hello vippy and welcome to this forum. as far as a-star and i10 is concerned, if ur looking for 2 passenger car as u said with 90% usage, opt for a-star with all goodies offered on ZXI, but overall package and refinment i10 provides u with more of space and power. Both of them are good car but a-star is more cramped on rear seats then i10.CHEERS!!!

If you got to drive over rough roads it would better be one among the Getz, U-VA, Palio(try the 1.6!!) or the Vista. Also, a 1000 km round trip in an A-star or an i10 is going to be quite tiresome. However, do remember that the 'big' cars don't come with adequate safety features for the budget that you have. romeo_1592008-12-11 10:43:01