sudeepd

Suggestion to Indian Government to Reduce Pollutio

Hi friends,

I have an idea for Indian Government to REDUCE

1. Pollution and

2.  Loss Faced by Oil Companies.

All Fuel Pumps should be fitted with Latest PUC Machines to Check the Pollution of ALL VEHICLES (>=2 Wheelers, Petrol, Diesel, LPG, CNG) >=2 Wheelers include (2, 3, 4, 5, 6,.......)wheelers.

The Government should announce Concession in Prices of Fuels to those Vehicles (Yes Vehicles and Not the Vehicle Owners) whose PUC is below the LIMIT stated in PUC Norms. The Concession should be given corresponding to the PUC Reading of the Respective Vehicle.

And for the vehicles whose PUC Reading is more than as per stated for

that particular vehicle should be charged FINE in the form of EXTRA PRICE for the Fuel he fills.

Example.

Whenever a Driver or a Rider (as the case may be) comes to fill fuel at the fuel pumps the Pump attendent will check the PUC of the vehicle at the Pump (and not agree to the PUC card available with the Driver or Rider) and verify with the chart provided to the Pump. If he finds that the PUC is well below the Norms applicable for that vehicle, the Pump will give concession "corresponding  to how low the PUC of the vehicle is" in the Fuel which is filled in that vehicle.

Suppose a Petrol car comes for filling Fuel. The Pump attendent will check the PUC of that car by using the machine available at the Pump. [He should not agree to the PUC Card available with the Car Driver which the Car Driver has drawn before from any PUC Center.]

Then the PA (Pump Attendent) will verify that PUC Reading with the Reading available in the Pump Chart.

Suppose the PUC Reading of the car he checked comes to about 2%.

The PUC Norms for Petrol Cars state that the PUC should be less than 3% for Petrol Cars.

Now the PA will give concession to that Driver as per the Government Announcement made for the Petrol Cars PUC Norms.

Suppose the Govt. announced that for every Percent below the PUC Norms Re.1/- Per Liter Concession will be given to the Petrol Cars, then in above case, the car driver will get Re.1/- Concession for Every Liter of Petrol he fills in his car.

If he fills 20 liters, he will get Rs.20/- OFF on the bill that would have been normally resulted.

If the PUC of the above car would have been 4.5%, the PA (Pump Attendent) will charge Rs.1.50/- EXTRA ( above the Petrol Price at the Pump) for Every Liter of Petrol that is filled in above car.

If he fills 20 Liters he will have to pay Rs.30/- above the bill that would have been normally resulted

As the Pollution of most of the vehicles is more, this idea will help the Oil Companies come out of LOSS because the FINE will be charged more than that of Concession Given.

Same goes for Cooking Gas.

The More Months you use a single cylinder before refilling, the more Concession you will get at the time of Refilling. The Lesser days you use a single cylinder, the more Fine you will be charged at the time of Refilling. 

but here in delhi' date=' almost every Petrol Pump already have a PUC machine!:-)

[/quote']

In Delhi, there may be machines at every Pump. But how many cities in India have PUC at the Pumps THAT TOO GENUINE & THEY ARE NOT FREE.

What I say is that the Pumps should check the PUC Levels every time we go to fill fuel that too free of cost and match with the PUC Norms (Say Bharat III or Euro III Norms) and then Give Concession or Charge Extra as the case may be.

THE PUC MACHINES FITTED ON THE FUEL PUMPS SHOULD BE TAMPER-PROOF, WEATHER-PROOF, AND MAINTENANCE-FREE. THE MACHINES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE REPAIRS FOR ITS FULL LIFETIME. ONCE THE MACHINE REQUIRES REPAIRS, IT SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN AND SHOULD NOT TURN ON EVEN IF ITS REPAIRED. ONLY REMEDY ON THIS IS TO REPLACE THE MACHINE WITH A NEW ONE. LIFE OF A SINGLE MACHINE SHOULD BE 10-15 YEARS ATLEAST.

I can just imagine the scenery of India when my suggestion is passed in Central Government Bill.

Pure Air, No Global Warming, No Lung Dieases,Etc,Etc....... The List is Tooooooo... Long........
sudeepd2008-12-10 13:01:51

Very nice topic and I appreciate your intention to reduce pollution.

Your ideas are good, but remember that we are in India, a place where more corruption takes place and politicians rule for their own pockets and don't care about its lovely citizens. Only when people stop voting for persons who give more free things as election promise, India will improve. TN govt has given(in process) colour TV sets to all ration card holders and that costed Rs. 2300 crore. This RS. 2300cr could have been used for many good purposes instead. Only if a miracle takes place, we can see these changes work fully and we can breathe pure air.

Hope this changes and government implement good ideas like you have suggested.

How about increasing the price of Kerosene to realistic levels. Somewhere between 69% and 93% of all faor price kerosene goes to adulterate fuel. The BPL people can be subsidized with 'Food Stamps'

Good suggestion but the issue i see is the extra time taken to fill up the fuel in the vehicles. At times there are huge queues at the pumps anyway. adding this extra time would surely result in unsatisfied people and surely there will be pumps not following this system who will benefit.

Adding to your point, something even i have been thinking, when a traffic cop catches someone without a PUC, his license should be taken into custody and should be returned only after he produces a PUC. even if he goes and gets a new one it serves the purpose. the purpose of the PUC is to reduce pollution and increase corruption, right? even the person who is caught would realize that he will get away by producing a PUC for Rs. 30/- (for a two wheeler) rather than 50 or 100 bribe. But then again, the PUC issuing centers have to stick to their. I have seen PUCs being given even without the vehicle.

the issue i see is the extra time taken to fill up the fuel in the vehicles. At times there are huge queues at the pumps anyway. adding this extra time would surely result in unsatisfied people

Only those People whose vehicles produce more Pollution will be unhappy and whose vehicles are in good condition will be BENEFITTED for Maintaining their vehicle in Good Condition.

surely there will be pumps not following this system who will benefit.

I did not understand what do you mean by this. But Still I will say something.

I am sure Fuel Pumps will benefit from this as MOST PEOPLE Dont Treat their Vehicle Properly.

"the purpose of the PUC is to reduce pollution and increase corruption' date=' right?[/quote']

You got half of it wrong, my dear friend. The purpose of PUC is to "reduce pollution" is CORRECT but increase corruption is WRONG(Please explain if I am wrong).

the PUC issuing centers have to stick to their. I have seen PUCs being given even without the vehicle

Yes I agree with this. The PUC Centers give false Card if there is Power Failure or if the Machine is damaged.

If suppose a cop catch a rider or driver and if he is unable to produce PUC, so the cop will keep his license & ask him to bring PUC. The rider or driver goes to PUC Center and ask the Attendent to give False PUC Card (Such as CO=1%,etc.INSPITE of That his vehicle is polluting the Environment) and show it to the cop. Then the cop will return the license and let him go.

ONE MORE SUGGESTION.

The Government should also give Concession to those people whose vehicles' all lamps are in working condition.

Example= 1.(All) the Headlight bulbs (all refers to two For >=4 wheelers)

2. (All) the Tail lamp Bulbs ( One refers to 2 Wheelers,Two refers to 3-4 wheelers, and More than Two for Heavy Goods Vehicles Like Trailers)

3.(All) Outer Turn Signal Bulbs (Right and Left).

And also check that the above Bulbs GLOW Enough Bright to see from Fair (Yes its FAIR and not Far) Distance, especially the Turn Indicators and Tail Light Bulbs.

Whose Vehicles Bulbs are not working they should be charged More for Filling Fuel.
sudeepd2008-12-11 14:27:46

Any disparity in fuel pricing and segregation of classes of motor vehicles will lead to large scale corruption and misuse of privileges by all concerned. In India we cannot think of such laws under any circumstances.

The font size of the posting is abnormal and so are the bold and capital letters. Mods may please edit.

Well the PUC thing in a pump will be a time killer the govt. should have emission tax at the time of manufacturing.

But what if One Buys a Minimum Polluting Vehicle (MPV), mix Kerosene in the Fuel and use it. It does not make sense if MPVs (mentioned above) are taxed less if they are going to spread pollution more on the road rather than in the Manufacturer's Factory.

Ok its a time killer. It will require about 4-5 minutes Extra than normal per vehicle. But cant we sacrifice those 5 min to reduce pollution.

The autorickshaws and transport vehicles use kerosene in fuel more often.

Even I have seen Bajaj CT 100s, Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion, Hero Honda CD 100 using kerosene in petrol. The blue smoke can be seen coming out of silencer.

Or atleast the manufacturers should develop such Engines which should not work when the fuel is adulterated. Only then the vehicles will use fuels designed for the particular engine.

How about increasing the price of Kerosene to realistic levels. Somewhere between 69% and 93% of all faor price kerosene goes to adulterate fuel. The BPL people can be subsidized with 'Food Stamps'

I've seen some Dipper lorries in my locality, which does duty for Blue metals runs on Kerosene mixed diesels. It sounds like a 2 stroke lorry and emits a huge amount of Smoke.

Kerosene prices should be increased to realistic levels.

first of all a law should be made that no vehicle older than 15 years will not be allowed to ply on the roads...and stop the bloody three wheelers should be regulated cause many of them run on kerosene.....

Well the PUC thing in a pump will be a time killer the govt. should have emission tax at the time of manufacturing.

But what if One Buys a Minimum Polluting Vehicle (MPV)' date=' mix Kerosene in the Fuel and use it. It does not make sense if MPVs (mentioned above) are taxed less if they are going to spread pollution more on the road rather than in the Manufacturer's Factory.

Ok its a time killer. It will require about 4-5 minutes Extra than normal per vehicle. But cant we sacrifice those 5 min to reduce pollution.

The autorickshaws and transport vehicles use kerosene in fuel more often.

Even I have seen Bajaj CT 100s, Kawasaki Bajaj 4S Champion, Hero Honda CD 100 using kerosene in petrol. The blue smoke can be seen coming out of silencer.

Or atleast the manufacturers should develop such Engines which should not work when the fuel is adulterated. Only then the vehicles will use fuels designed for the particular engine.
[/quote']

In the 5 mins that I wait in queue don't I burn more fuel and negate the effect of  reducing pollution. If I'm on a bike, I can push it along in the queue, but in a car, I cannot turn of the engine while in queue.

At an idealistic view the ideas are good, but when it comes to implementation, the reality is that its a corrupt system out there. Reducing/removing subsidies on the sources of adulteration would be one solution, may not be the best, but at this point, it'll work

darklord2008-12-16 12:21:51

THE MACHINES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE REPAIRS FOR ITS FULL LIFETIME.

I doubt if any manufacturer can produce such machinery

ONCE THE MACHINE REQUIRES REPAIRS' date=' IT SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN AND SHOULD NOT TURN ON EVEN IF ITS REPAIRED. ONLY REMEDY ON THIS IS TO REPLACE THE MACHINE WITH A NEW ONE. LIFE OF A SINGLE MACHINE SHOULD BE 10-15 YEARS ATLEAST.

[/quote']

From an investor's point of view its pretty much impractical. I'll be losing business big time if there's any problem with the machine. And imagine the chaos that would ensue if this happens during rush hour

darklord2008-12-16 12:36:33

For your info the actual price of kerosene is Rs.36/litre almost double the subsidised price.

Better infrastructure can help a lot as better roads mean fewer gear changes and better utilisation of the fuel.

In the 5 mins that I wait in queue don't I burn more fuel and negate the effect of  reducing pollution. If I'm on a bike' date=' I can push it along in the queue, but in a car, I cannot turn of the engine while in queue.
[/quote']

You cannot keep the engine running for 5 mins. It does not practically make sense to burn the fuel for 5 mins when you dont travel for any distance for that much time and also it is not good for the engine to run it at idle rpm for more than 1 min. I think you must be keeping your vehicle running at idle at signals and traffic jams, right?

And at most pumps there are many re-fuelling outlets (may be around 5-6) so it should not take more time once they get used to it.

THE MACHINES SHOULD NOT REQUIRE REPAIRS FOR ITS FULL LIFETIME.

Sorry' date=' darklord

But by this post , I wanted to mean that the machine should require very Less Repairs. I know most machines require some maintenance (however low it may be).

ONCE THE MACHINE REQUIRES REPAIRS, IT SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY SHUT DOWN AND SHOULD NOT TURN ON EVEN IF ITS REPAIRED. ONLY REMEDY ON THIS IS TO REPLACE THE MACHINE WITH A NEW ONE. LIFE OF A SINGLE MACHINE SHOULD BE 10-15 YEARS ATLEAST.

By this post, I wanted to express that the settings of the machine should not be able to be modified without any security code because modifying the settings will be easy for the pumps to set and they will show the vehicles are polluting (even if they are not) to earn more money.

In the 5 mins that I wait in queue don't I burn more fuel and negate the effect of  reducing pollution. If I'm on a bike' date=' I can push it along in the queue, but in a car, I cannot turn of the engine while in queue.
[/quote']

You cannot keep the engine running for 5 mins. It does not practically make sense to burn the fuel for 5 mins when you dont travel for any distance for that much time and also it is not good for the engine to run it at idle rpm for more than 1 min. I think you must be keeping your vehicle running at idle at signals and traffic jams, right?

And at most pumps there are many re-fuelling outlets (may be around 5-6) so it should not take more time once they get used to it.

[/Quote]

Nops, I don't keep my engine idling at signals or traffic jams and I do know that the amount of fuel consumed for the engine to be start is roughly the amount consumed in 3 secs while idling. So anything beyond 15 secs and I switch off the engine.

Ok its a time killer. It will require about 4-5 minutes Extra than
normal per vehicle. But cant we sacrifice those 5 min to reduce
pollution.

I didn't randomly pick the 5 min value; I just repeated a number which you quoted as a response to rssh. So in that context how do I avoid idling?

Thanks for clarifying the other two questions. As I said in my earlier posts, I have nothing against your ideas, in fact I like them. Am just being the Devil's advocate and looking at the problems in implementing them.

darklord2008-12-18 20:59:38

Govt. is distributing approx. 10 ltrs of kerosene/month to BPL families through PDS. But most of it gets siphoned off by corrupt people and finds its way to diesel/petrol adulteration, which affects economy, encourages black money and also pollutes the environment. Further, in the aftermath of tragic incident of burning of an upright govt. official, the petroleum minister has said that it it very difficult to remove subsidy from Kerosene.

In my view, there an alternate can be:

Remove complete subsidy from K-oil.

Issue one 8-10 kg LPG cylinder/month to BPL families and provide some additional subsidy on these LPG cylinders which is, anyway, already subsidized for middle class families.

No doubt, the problem of pilferage will remain but will reduce to a large extent.

One major advantage will be that a major source of adulteration of auto fuels will be plugged, which in turn will help reduce environment pollution.

Please share your views.