piyush123

City,Civic,Jetta,Laura & Corolla - Help me choose

Hello,

I'm looking to buy one of the following:

Honda City - Any of the trim levels (E MT, S MT or S AT)

No discount

Honda Civic - 1.8 E MT

Approximately Rs. 40,000 discount

Skoda Laura - 1.9 PD Ambiente

Three year maintenance package

Rs. 50,000 discount

VW Jetta - 1.9 TDI Trendline

Three year maintenance package

Rs. 50,000 discount

Toyota Corrola Altis - 1.8 G

Read in one of the other threads that a discount of Rs. 35,000 is being offered.

My monthly commute will be 2,000 kms.  A mix between city and highway. 1,800 kms will be chaffeur driven.

I've test driven the Civic, Laura and Jetta so far.  I'll probably test drive the City and Corolla in the next week or so.

So far the order for me is:

Jetta, Corolla, City, Laura, Civic. 

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Piyush

I think the New Honda City is a better option. The new City has brilliant styling and the most efficient engine, i-VTEC engine. This new engine by Honda delivers excellent power, unmatched performance, and impressive mileage.

If the car is chauffer driven, I would suggest you to make sure the rear of the car does not fall all around the road and make sure the seats are comfy with the largest legroom for extra comfort! and the car should not be noisy..

Jetta, Corolla or the Civic would match up to ur expectations! sharash2008-12-11 09:27:00

May i suggest you something which is not in the list and is totally different?smiley2.gif

You seem to be predominantly chaueffeur driven. Why not choose a Toyota Innova? It's going to get a facelift soon with automatic climate control and new ICE. It's reliable and will beat all the others hollow in terms of passenger comfort. I would put my money on that if you are not looking for snob value and you are not fixated on a sedan.

If you are, then I would say stick to Altis; it seems to have got the better rear seat comfort among the shortlisted ones. Though Laura and Jetta would save you at the fuel station, they will rob you at the service centre smiley36.gif

Thank you for all the replies!  Does any one know of any better deals than the ones I have listed?

with montly running of 2000 u need an diesel so it comes down to jetta or laura

and jetta can make head turn which laura fails to do so :D

Volkswagen  is known for safety features

Yah.  I liked VW for the safety features' date=' diesel and trim finish quality.

I think the New Honda City is a better option. The new City has brilliant styling and the most efficient engine, i-VTEC engine. This new engine by Honda delivers excellent power, unmatched performance, and impressive mileage.

Agreed!

The only issue with the City is that once you start adding things such as a CD player, Alloys, etc it's not much cheaper than the Civic or Corolla. 

If the car is chauffer driven' date=' I would suggest you to make sure the rear of the car does not fall all around the road and make sure the seats are comfy with the largest legroom for extra comfort! and the car should not be noisy..

Jetta, Corolla or the Civic would match up to ur expectations! [/quote']

Less than 20% will be self drive, at least in the first 1 - 2 years.  All the cars I've test driven so far were decent in rear space.

May i suggest you something which is not in the list and is totally different?smiley2.gif

You seem to be predominantly chaueffeur driven. Why not choose a Toyota Innova? It's going to get a facelift soon with automatic climate control and new ICE. It's reliable and will beat all the others hollow in terms of passenger comfort. I would put my money on that if you are not looking for snob value and you are not fixated on a sedan.

If you are' date=' then I would say stick to Altis; it seems to have got the better rear seat comfort among the shortlisted ones. Though Laura and Jetta would save you at the fuel station, they will rob you at the service centre smiley36.gif
[/quote']

I actually thought about the Innova too but even for the 200 or so kms I would drive it would be a pain.  Especially since all of those kms would be in crowded city traffic.  For now I think I'm going to limit myself to a sedan.

Laura/Jetta are currently offering a 3 year maintenance plan so don't have to worry about service for 3 years.  Having said that both of them are considerably more expensive than a similarly trimmed Corolla.

Piyush, as per your requirements a diesel sedan makes more sense.  Do mention how long you planning to keep the vehicle. If its Jetta vs Laura , i would suggest the Laura. Jetta looks good but the front could have styled better. Also not many VW dealers available right now compared to Skoda. Overall IMO Laura is a better buy.

P.S: Laura facelift might come to India next year. Dont bother if you want a car immediately.

Does this help any NHC tyre bashers :(

As a part of its focus to strengthen its presence in the country, Michelin India Tyres Private limited today announced that they will supply the Energy XM1 tyre to the New Honda CITY. Michelin India is already an OE supplier to Honda Civic. Through this partnership, Honda Motors and Michelin, leaders in tyre technology expect to bring an ultimate driving experience for its customers in India.

"This initiative is part of our long term strategy for India and has also strengthened our relationship with Honda and we hope to continue with this relationship" said Mr. Jean Paul Caylar, the CEO of Michelin in India.

"Michelin Energy XM1 tyre complements this new model Honda city car and provides the best overall performance the customers expect from their vehicles like safety, low-noise level & low fuel consumption" added Mr. Caylar.

Mr. T. Natsume, Director, Sales & Marketing, Honda Siel Cars India, said "We are extremely pleased to have Michelin as the OE partner for New Honda CITY too. With this partnership, we are confident that our customers will enjoy a satisfying driving experience on our cars."

The Energy XM1 is designed for cars in the midsize segment. The Energy XM1 range of tyres have been developed using the Green "X" silica based compound, which not only reduces the rolling resistance, thereby reducing fuel consumption, but is also replacing Carbon Black, which is a fossil fuel derivativ

Also consider civic hybrid when its price has been slashed drastically if you are prepared to wait till march 2009( Prices around 14lacs) as the next batch is expected around that time. Its running cost is low and environment friendly.

Piyush' date=' as per your requirements a diesel sedan makes more sense.  Do mention how long you planning to keep the vehicle. If its Jetta vs Laura , i would suggest the Laura. Jetta looks good but the front could have styled better. Also not many VW dealers available right now compared to Skoda. Overall IMO Laura is a better buy.

P.S: Laura facelift might come to India next year. Dont bother if you want a car immediately.
[/quote']

I plan on keeping the car for ~ 7 years.  I like that the Laura has more goodies for the same price as the Jetta.  The lack of dealerships is also a big concern for the Jetta.  Hopefully they will open some more soon as planned!  Personally I prefer the looks and feel of the Jetta though.  Tough choice.

I want to have the car before February so the new Laura is probably out :(

Does this help any NHC tyre bashers :(

As a part of its focus to strengthen its presence in the country' date=' Michelin India Tyres Private limited today announced that they will supply the Energy XM1 tyre to the New Honda CITY. Michelin India is already an OE supplier to Honda Civic. Through this partnership, Honda Motors and Michelin, leaders in tyre technology expect to bring an ultimate driving experience for its customers in India.

"This initiative is part of our long term strategy for India and has also strengthened our relationship with Honda and we hope to continue with this relationship" said Mr. Jean Paul Caylar, the CEO of Michelin in India.

"Michelin Energy XM1 tyre complements this new model Honda city car and provides the best overall performance the customers expect from their vehicles like safety, low-noise level & low fuel consumption" added Mr. Caylar.

Mr. T. Natsume, Director, Sales & Marketing, Honda Siel Cars India, said "We are extremely pleased to have Michelin as the OE partner for New Honda CITY too. With this partnership, we are confident that our customers will enjoy a satisfying driving experience on our cars."

The Energy XM1 is designed for cars in the midsize segment. The Energy XM1 range of tyres have been developed using the Green "X" silica based compound, which not only reduces the rolling resistance, thereby reducing fuel consumption, but is also replacing Carbon Black, which is a fossil fuel derivativ

[/quote']

What were they using in the past?

Also consider civic hybrid when its price has been slashed drastically if you are prepared to wait till march 2009( Prices around 14lacs) as the next batch is expected around that time. Its running cost is low and environment friendly.

I would love to buy the Civic hybrid.  In fact I wanted to buy it the day they announced the decrease but the dealer kept giving me the run around.  I'm pretty sure Honda will increase the price when they import the next lot!

i. 24,000km per annum economy should predispose you towards a diesel.

ii. Seven years at 24,000km per annum means about 165,000km. The maintenance costs may start becoming excessive after four years or so.

Diesel means that the Honda and Toyota products are not in favour. I love them but then reality comes in.

Of the others I would also opt for the Jetta - it is a generation ahead. Image in India notwithstanding one must accept that the Skoda is the 'el cheapo' label of VW.

You have not indicated your location, so I believe that service for VW is available.

sgiitk2008-12-12 04:29:23

Seems like you mostly inclined on Jetta right now. I heard Jetta also has  a decent maint. package. I think you must have read about Skoda s free 3yrs/50,000 kms free maint. package till end of Dec. So if by any chance you going for Laura , take the plunge in Dec. To me it looks like mostly Jetta for you.

i. 24' date='000km per annum economy should predispose you towards a diesel.

ii. Seven years at 24,000km per annum means about 165,000km. The maintenance costs may start becoming excessive after four years or so.

Diesel means that the Honda and Toyota products are not in favour. I love them but then reality comes in.

Of the others I would also opt for the Jetta - it is a generation ahead. Image in India notwithstanding one must accept that the Skoda is the 'el cheapo' label of VW.

You have not indicated your location, so I believe that service for VW is available.

[/quote']

Seems like you mostly inclined on Jetta right now. I heard Jetta also has  a decent maint. package. I think you must have read about Skoda s free 3yrs/50' date='000 kms free maint. package till end of Dec. So if by any chance you going for Laura , take the plunge in Dec. To me it looks like mostly Jetta for you. [/quote']

I shuttle been Bombay/Pune.  Economic Times has an article today that the government might stop regulating fuel rates.  If that happens the difference between Petrol and diesel will go down to Rs. 6/litre.  I've started leaning towards the Corolla now since the Jetta is Rs. 3 lacs more than the Corolla.  I'l test drive it over the weekend.

Both the Jetta and Skoda are currently offering a free maint. package!

Well Mr.Piyush why dont u go for the Chevys Optra Magnum LT (diesel  )

its really good VFM car

I do like the Chevy Optra but have driven the petrol version earlier and want something different :).

So far the offers I have received are:

1.8 G corolla - Rs. 11,50,000 on road Pune

I might be able to get this down another Rs. 10,000 - Rs. 20,000.

1.9 Trendline Jetta Rs. - 15,00,000 on road Pune.  Includes extended warranty + 3 year maintenance package.

I might be able to get this down another Rs. 30,000 - Rs. 50,000.

If any one knows of any better deals out there please let me know.

Thanks!

well jetta is the best choice u can have , there is one more car that is sonata , well the resale value is bit of a concern but the car is great .

if u are ready to spend 15 lakhs u can look for a pre-owned merc c200 ?

I would be surprised if the differential between diesel & petrol will come down. There taxation is different and the transporters lobby is very powerful. I would love to see fuel priced by energy content. This will make diesel marginally costlier than petrol as inUK, US, Germany, and Switzerland.

If you are seriously looking at the petrols then I would definitely go for the Corolla Altis. You may wish to see the discussion in my thread on Rs.9-15 lacs car. The overwhelming view was the Corolla. Only the distance was about 8000 per annum. Other parameters were the same.

Good idea but the maintenance costs will also be very high. According to Hormazd on the TV a regular service of the three pointed star is about Rs.25,000, i.e. King Sized!

Ya dude! If you are going to keep it for long then forget about second hand.

For the petrol / diesel debate - Annual fuel cost

Corolla - 24,000kms/8 (fuel average) x Rs.45/litre = Rs. 135,000

Laura - 24,000kms/12 (fuel average) x Rs.35/litre = Rs. 70,000

Annual saving with diesel car = Rs.65,000

Over 5 years you save = Rs.325,000

So the additional cost of the Laura/Jetta is pretty much covered by the savings. Plus if you're getting the 3 year maintenance free option then its a great deal.

Between Laura and Jetta I find the backseat of the Laura more comfortable.

You might also be able to squeeze a discount of almost a lac on Laura from what I hear. Their sales have become almost negligent ever since the new model was announced.

well merc don't need to go for service every 5000km and if u spot a good one there are chances u don't have to go to the service centre for 50,000km

the only expensive thing on merc is the engine oil top-up & coolent rest is cheaper than ford and even skoda in some department

regular service doesn't cost RS 25000 , my 3 star costed 7000rs per visit to auto hanger (service centre for mercedes) at every 10,000 km

and once i had an gear box issue on my a class , they towed it to andheri(where the service centre is located) for free , since they did not have any spare parts for a class , my dad got annoyed and wrote a complain to merc germany and the next day i get a call that my gear box would be send for free and a man from germany would come and install it for free of cost .

well jetta is the best choice u can have ' date=' there is one more car that is sonata , well the resale value is bit of a concern but the car is great .

[/quote']

Actually I'm not a big fan of the Sonata so will have to pass on that.  I'm not very concerned with resale value since after 5 - 7 and 150,000 kms years the difference will not be significant.

I looked around for a good deal on a C class or 3 Series but couldn't really find one.  Don't want to go in for a very old one as repairs of Germany luxury cars are always very expensive.  If you know of any good deals.  I'm all ears!

I would be surprised if the differential between diesel & petrol will come down. There taxation is different and the transporters lobby is very powerful. I would love to see fuel priced by energy content. This will make diesel marginally costlier than petrol as inUK' date=' US, Germany, and Switzerland.

If you are seriously looking at the petrols then I would definitely go for the Corolla Altis. You may wish to see the discussion in my thread on Rs.9-15 lacs car. The overwhelming view was the Corolla. Only the distance was about 8000 per annum. Other parameters were the same.
[/quote']

Well they will not increase the price of diesel but just reduce the price of petrol.  Who knows though it might never happen.

I did check out your thread.  Has a lot of good information.

i think laura would do great according your requirements!!
or as sarabjeet said maybe a used C220 CDi would do!!

Ya dude! If you are going to keep it for long then forget about second hand.

For the petrol / diesel debate - Annual fuel cost

Corolla - 24' date='000kms/8 (fuel average) x Rs.45/litre = Rs. 135,000

Laura - 24,000kms/12 (fuel average) x Rs.35/litre = Rs. 70,000

Annual saving with diesel car = Rs.65,000
Over 5 years you save = Rs.325,000

So the additional cost of the Laura/Jetta is pretty much covered by the savings. Plus if you're getting the 3 year maintenance free option then its a great deal.
Between Laura and Jetta I find the backseat of the Laura more comfortable.
You might also be able to squeeze a discount of almost a lac on Laura from what I hear. Their sales have become almost negligent ever since the new model was announced.
[/quote']

Wow Rs. 100,000 discount might just bring the Laura back in play.  The best I've been able to get so far is Rs. 50,000.  Will talk to a couple of Laura dealers. 

Is there that much difference in the mileage?  I thought it was more like 2 kmpl?

well merc don't need to go for service every 5000km and if u spot a good one there are chances u don't have to go to the service centre for 50' date='000km

the only expensive thing on merc is the engine oil top-up & coolent rest is cheaper than ford and even skoda in some department

regular service doesn't cost RS 25000 , my 3 star costed 7000rs per visit to auto hanger (service centre for mercedes) at every 10,000 km

and once i had an gear box issue on my a class , they towed it to andheri(where the service centre is located) for free , since they did not have any spare parts for a class , my dad got annoyed and wrote a complain to merc germany and the next day i get a call that my gear box would be send for free and a man from germany would come and install it for free of cost .

[/quote']

Merc has always been known for their great service :).  I'm more worried about repairs than servicing cost!

Thank you to every one for all the suggestions!

If petrol than Corolla is the winner else i would prefer Jetta..i drove that and car was really good in looks, comfort, quality, interiors, features department...

Well do you know what are the features missing on Jetta when we compare it with Laura Ambiente

If petrol than Corolla is the winner else i would prefer Jetta..i drove that and car was really good in looks' date=' comfort, quality, interiors, features department...

Well do you know what are the features missing on Jetta when we compare it with Laura Ambiente
[/quote']

Rear Parking Sensor, Rain Sensor, Aux Jack.  There were more but can't remember them right now!