Robojerk

Advice on accesories/music system

I am buying my first car I 10 1.2 kappa Magna. Could you suggest what type of & which music system brand with rough cost should I opt.[My lookout  is for basic type not the high end].Also which are the other accesories should I opt for.

Hello Robojerk and you are welcome to AUTOCAR India forums!

Congrats on your first car - Hyundai i10, you have opted for a very nice car!

So, now you want to add some accessories in it!could you please specify your budget for Music system but as you said you need a basic MS, so ill suggest you the Sony Xplod!...its a very nice product at reasonable cost!...and for other acc. it depends on your personal choice, which type of accs. you want to install in your car!smiley1.gif

vibhor2008-12-11 10:00:11

Welcome buddy!

Well, the sony Xplod, which i have installed in my car priced about 7-8k and it has Front AUX-IN, AM/FM, CD, MP3 Player!...also, i've installed rear 6X9 Xplod speakers and front aswell!..I am very much satisfied  from it!..it has very nice and clear sound!...n also few more li'l features+3yr warranty!:-)

You can get it installed from any good accessory shop near you.smiley1.gif
vibhor2008-12-11 10:55:35

Thanks Vibhor.

Regarding your suggestion of Sony Xplod---What would be the cost and what do they provide. Head unit. Shouls I put the front speakers.and where should I buy it.

Dude, you get pioneer Head units for 5k with MP3/USB or MP3/IPOD. And for the speakers, I prefer front component speakers and a sub-oofer in the back. Another 5k.

Component speaker - 3.5k

subwoofer - 1.5k

The component speakers will sound better than 3 way speakers. may be even better than 4 way speakers

If you want to buy with B&W, then go in for a Blaupunkt/Kenwood/Sony for the HU. If you are ready to buy from the grey market then a Pioneer HU will be the best as it is great value for money. You can buy speakers also of Pioneer.

I am also getting my first car very soon and am looking for advice on music system. But this forum and all others are using so much jargon that it seems that I am looking for a flight to moon. Please help me in demystefying these:

1. ICE ??

2. HU

3. Sub

4. Component speaker

Once i understand some of these, I might be able to ask more sensible questions!!!

I even looked up google dictionary for ICE but nothing came even close to a car audio system. Closest one was "Internal Combustion Engine" !!! smiley32.gif

lol

HU --- Head unit

Sub --- Sub woofer

Components Speakers ---- These r combination of speaker , tweeter and cross over which perfors 5-10times better dan normal speakers , they produce extreme clarity n crispness . I will also prefer Components at front .

Yesterday only we gt components installed in my frnd's car

Jbl Power series p6050c + jbl GTO 1004e 4channel amplifier .

if u want i can post the pics ;p

thanks trojan.. (i am sure you are not a trojan in real sense... ;-)

you added few more to the jargon:

1. What is head-unit?

2. tweeter

3. cross over

4. ICE??? still dont know

In good old days when my dad bought car we used to buy a good stereo and get couple of speakers fitted in car. Now it seems even after doing an engineering degree, I am ill equipped to understand all the jargon.

Please help me get the basics first...! :-)

Head unit means d thing in which u insert the cd's , pen drives etc ,(STEREO )

Crossover are part of component speakers which cut different freq to produce ultimate sound experience.

A tweeter is a loudspeaker designed to produce high frequencies which crossover sends to it . 

1) ICE is In Car Entertainment.

2) HU is Headunit which is the main source of the audio system. Like the CD / Cassette player and nowadays USB drive and Ipod player.

3) Sub is short for Sub woofers, which are big speakers starting from 8" and normally going up to 15" and which play low frequecies from 150 Hertz down to 20 Hertz if I am not wrong.

4) Component speakers, trojan has given a fair description. But I would like to add that they are not always better than regular full range speakers because there are speakers which are better than component speakers. And they are a combination of a mid range woofer, tweeter and crossover.

Garg.Vineet, it would have been better if you would have started a new specific thread instead of using this. It would have been useful for others like you.

Crossover are part of component speakers which cut different freq to produce ultimate sound experience.

A correction here, Trojan. Crossover don't cut but channel the correct frequency to the right speaker. The mids and lows to the woofer and the highs to the tweeter.

Some stand alone tweeters come with their own small crossover which cut off all the frequencies except the highs, which it is meant to sing.

A correction here' date=' Trojan. Crossover don't cut but channel the correct frequency to the right speaker. The mids and lows to the woofer and the highs to the tweeter.

Some stand alone tweeters come with their own small crossover which cut off all the frequencies except the highs, which it is meant to sing.

[/quote']

Well i meant the same ;p

Though presentation n words went wrong ;p

Now i get 2 knw y i score less . hehehe

Hi All,

I am from Kolkata ..&...planning for Music System for my i10 which is an year old now   (infact i had been doing without it for such a long time !!). The config as i have thought of is  :

1. Hertz DCX130 for the front Doors,   Peak-80W, Continuous-40W, Impedance - 4 ohm. ---4K

2. Hertz DSK165 for Rear - Peak-160W, Continuous-80W, Impedance-4 ohm-------5.5K

3. Pioneer Basic Model HU.---------------6K

My query is :

a]  Do i need an amp for the above selection?....Sub-woofer  is not in my  plan at the moment & can be added up later.

b] What brand of Cable to be considered & Prices...

c] Is Damping required.

d] Incase i go for a little high power rear oval ones (say 160-180 Watt RMS of    Kicker make ), in that case again, would i require an AMP, if so pls. suggest power handling capacity of the same / suitable brand with part no. / tentative Price...

Hoping for reply..

Thanks.

a) If you don't listen to loud music all the time you won't need an amp, if you do you may need an amp. Also depends on what you listen.

B) Speakers come with thier own wiring and for the other things normal wiring will do. For four speakers and a HU, you don't need to buy separate cables.

c) No damping required.

d) If you want to go in for those Kicker speakers you will definitely need an amp but I think you don't need those speakers.

One suggestion would be to use the DSK165 for the fronts and the DCX130 for the rears. Always use the better speaker in the front and components are a must for the front.

Dear 5u3zEr0,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

Can you be a bit elaborative on when an Amp is required and when not. And particularly, how we determine the size and no. of channels required in  the Amp when the Speaker rms wattage are given. What is bridging?

With regards me i mostly like rock/acoustic/country music and some times metal..More specifically -

-Eagles, Limpbizkit, Metallica, Poison, dire straits, scorpion, guns-n-roses, Pink Floyd, John denver, garth brooks, mltr, bryan adams, billy joel, backstreet, anthony marc.....

Also, please guide on, where exactly are the components installed on the front door. Would welcome suggestions on other type of config that can produce good amount of bass, however i am particularly not willing to go for sub since its a small car..

Regards,

Hi raj,

If you listen to loud music regularly and want clean, crisp sound without any distortion (disturbance) then you need an amp. The kind of music you mentioned, makes me think you will defintiely listen to loud music :)!

If your speakers are rated at 80w (continuous power or rms) you will ideally need an amp which makes atleast 50watts per channel or bridged. You can give even more power like 100w rms to the speaker that is okay. If you have 4 speakers you will need 4 channels and for 2 speakers 2 channels, basically one channel is for one speaker. But there are exceptions.

Bridging is adding two channels of an amp to get one powerful channel. This is possible only if the amp is bridgeable. For eg: If an amp makes 2 channels of 50 watts each, they can be combined to make one channel of 125 watts each.

Component speakers comprise of the cross over, the woofer and the tweeter. Normally the woofer is mounted on the door and the tweeter on the a-pillar or the corner of the dashboard.

Your system like you have mentioned in your previous post looks fine to me but seeing the kind of music you listen to an amp would make the sound better. A 4 channel amp or even a 2 channel amp just for the front speakers (components) will improve the sound.

Thanks for the promp reply 5u3zE3r0,  i was eagerly looking at it...

Would like to let you know my final configuration along with the description and prices that i have got from a Glix Dealer :

1. Pioneer DEH 3190UB (With 2 RCA Preout : 1 front + 1 rear) = 9K.

2. DSK165 Component (Front Door, 80W RMS) = 6K.

3. ECX165 Coaxial (Rear Door, 70W RMS) = 5K.

4. JBL 4 Channel Amp - GT5-A604 (60W X 4) = 9K  (???)

Presently, I will feed 1 channel to each speaker. In future, the Coax will be de-wired for a bridgable output combining two ...for a small (around 250Watt Rms) Subwoofer through the 2nd Preamp of the HU (will hang it on the tray).  This will give my car a reasonable bootspace & a lovable sound depth though my budget has overshooted & i will have to wait some time for my small sub.

Any advice on the chosen 4 Ch Amp?...Can u suggest some 250-300 Watt Sub with Prices. This would help me to plan in advance...

Any last minute comments...plzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Regards,

You are welcome Raj. What is a glix dealer??

The Pioneer 3190 at 9k is prettty expensive. If you buy from the grey market you will save a lot of money. I bought the same unit (only change is model number which is 3150) for 5800 a couple of months back.

The front speakers are fine but for the rear I would prefer you install 6 x 9 2 or 3 way speakers in an enclosure in the trunk or ideally on the parcel tray. I think there will be better bass than when installed on the doors. Also 6 x 9's will cost you around 3k so you will again save money.

The JBL amp looks fine but also look out for a Blaupunkt or a Kenwood 4 channel, the sound quality would be more subdued.

If you want your sub to be mounted on the parcel tray, you will need to find a sub which can be used in a free air installation. Kenwood/Pioneer make them or you can find out what choice is available to you in Kolkata.

Pioneer 3150 has 2 preouts?...

Even i have some concern with the price of 9K....how about Kenwood KDC-MP439...6.5K ??

Their is a problem with buying from grey market....that is of installation....guys who just do the install job @grey market, lacks in the expertise level....

6X9 of 3K....which brand?

Thanks..

Yes, the 3150 has 2 pre outs, its the same thing as the 3190 except for the model number. You can always buy your stuff from the grey market and then ask a decent installer to install it. They will do it as I have done it so many times.

I was infact thinking of suggesting a Kenwood instead of the Pioneer and you yourself have asked it. The Kenwood 439 looks good the only thing missing is the USB port. It is a bargain for 6.5k but you can also look for a 4039U or a 4036U which should cost you a little more. Otherwise for 8.5k you can get a 5039U which looks like a great HU.

For around 3k you should get Kenwood 6 x 9's. Pioneer and JBL too.

Thanks buddy...i am managing a KDC-MP543 @6.5K (with b&w). Now, what i don't understand is the preout thing. what is the difference between preout & aux?...the manual of 543 talks of 2 preouts. when i see the back side of the HU, i can see 2 nos. of RCA female coneector mentioned "AUX" -  "L", "R".

My basic idea is to connect the front compos with 1 rca preout through a 2ch amp....and rear oval without any amp & direct to HU.   For future expansion, i will have a rca preout free which can be connected to a sub through a monoblock..however this is all mine theoretical knowledge.....& am preety much confused,........how is the preout connection established...

@ the back side of 543 i can see 2 RCA connectors...nothing mentioned (pre / aux??)...should it be clearly embossed as "preout" on the baseplate?

If i am connectiong the front compos through a 2ch amp to a preout, will i hav to connect the the rear ovals to the front aux o/p?...one i will reserve for future sub..