Tata Indigo and many others have dethroned the mighty Lancer. So while
the rest of the world was getting new updated lancers and the special
edition ones like the EVO, India was still living with the sixth
generation Lancer which hardly sells and this is the reason why most of
HM-Mitsubishi dealers have shifted to serving other manufacturers. In a
desperate attempt, HM launched the 7th generation lancer in 2007 called
the Lancer Cedia which also failed in the India, the primary reason
being Mitsubishi

Wow is the word to describe this marvel!

Both petrol & diesel motors sound good, diesel especially will hold the key.

Is this due in January & will diesel variant be launched from the start?

Taking the Indian market seriously and launching the new Lancer are two different things for this HM Mitsubishi dinosaur. By the time they bring out this product it'll be another two years and the game would have moved on. Who know's with the way the auto industry is turning out, HM may buy out Mitsubishi. When Tata can buy JLR, why not this? Think of it, guys...

Who know's with the way the auto industry is turning out' date=' HM may buy out Mitsubishi. When Tata can buy JLR, why not this? Think of it, guys...[/quote']

the new HindustanMitsubishi Ambasador. I shudder to think it...

Well i think till April 09 it should be launched and if they want instant success they have to bring in diesel either from the very beginning or within 6 months at the max...

This car looks awesome and promising, with sporty looks and good interiors ofcourse with Mitsubishi rally type dynamics and solidity..

if this car gets launched in india it will surely make a big fusss....the 8 th gen lancer looks really cool with all those cuts and everything...i dont know why mitsubishi has no interest in india when everyone is wanting to enter into india !!!!

Actually i think Mitsubishi has no interest in many markets including India coz till date i have been to 5 developed countries and everywhere you can see only few Mitsubishis...i think they are interested only in rallies!!

I don't think they want to bring in the diesel as being rally company they concentrated on fine tuning their 2.0lt petrol engines .Also they could have launched the Outlander with both P & D engine options to become the segment leader they are too stupid to not launch the 7 seat option nor the diesel like the captiva.

Bumping up this thread after very long! 

The Lancer is dead in most countries but Mitsubishi's going to still sell an updated on in Taiwan. I like the updated car, it maybe a bit old, but the styling is good! 

Mitsubishi will officially unveil the Grand Lancer sedan soon.  The Mitsubishi Grand Lancer sedan is actually a heavily updated car based on the previous generation Lancer sold in some international markets.  The Mitsubishi Grand Lancer has been developed by Mitsubishi’s Taiwanese partner, China Motor Corporation.

The Grand Lancer now adapts the company’s new styling language, dubbed Dynamic Shield Design which is also seen on the brand’s modern day products like the new Mitsubishi Pajero Sport SUV.  It gets subtle does of chrome surrounds on the grille and on the bumper as well along with LED daytime running lights. Moving on to the sides, the Grand Lancer continues the earlier car’s look and gets added creases on the front door that tapers towards the front wheel well. Moving on to the back, the car gets new shaped taillamps with LED inserts which look similar to the Volvo S60 sedan.  The rear bumper is also all new and the license plate holder has now been moved on the boot lid.

Source

Let the pics do the talking >>

grand6.jpg

Grand4.jpg

Grand3.jpg

grand2.jpg

grand1.jpg

The new Lancer is looking good, but off late Mitsubishi has become an unexciting brand globally as well as in India. I remember the days when I used to be awestruck looking at the early generation Pajero (the original imported one, way before it was made in India).  Recently I had a drive in one of the Indian made examples and was really irritated, to say the least.  It felt so utilitarian and crude like the old Tata Sumo, and was really glad to hand over the keys back.  I realised that it really had seen better days, and gone is the aura surrounding it.  Even our XUV 500 feels so much more modern and sophisticated.  Of course it has good off-road credentials, but so does our bare-bones Mahindra Thar!  Its successor the Montero is also hardly seen on our roads.  

The WRC Lancer Evo models were a boy racer's dream always.  The Lancer in India was hugely popular, even today the old ones command some respect.  Sadly that popularity was not cashed in properly and it died a slow death.  Now the sedan market as a whole is threatened, when people are opting for cross-overs and mini-SUVs.  In today's cut-throat competition, I doubt whether Mitsubishi can find firm ground in India. 

Hi..

HM-Mitsubishi want to get back into the luxury car game badly. On paper,the Lancer has all it takes to take to steal the crown from the present leader, Civic. It will be exciting to drive, right size, great looks the spec the features etc..So let the battle begin.All that is left is that HM-Mitsubishi have to play their cards right.