Gurkha

Most dependable cars

Top Gear did a good test' date=' they bought equal mileage and vintage second hand Lexus LS400 and a S class Mercedes, guess what, the MB had way more rattles and trim failures than the Lexus, need some more reassurance on so called German quality,[/quote']

this is a generalisation right

made on the basis of a comparison of two cars

but that all depends on how the cars have been used or abused

can find you a Tata that has had less problems than a Toyota

EASY

content and accurate reporting suffering horribly at the hands of a good story

lots of masala, no meat

but that's not to say LExus is not well built  - far from it

Top Gear did a good test' date=' they bought equal mileage and vintage second hand Lexus LS400 and a S class Mercedes, guess what, the MB had way more rattles and trim failures than the Lexus, need some more reassurance on so called German quality,[/quote']

?

this is a generalisation right

made on the basis of a comparison of two cars

but that all depends on how the cars have been used or abused

?

can find you a Tata that has had less problems than a Toyota

EASY

?

content and accurate reporting suffering horribly at the hands of a good story

lots of masala, no meat

?

but that's not to say LExus is not well built? - far from it

?

Their maintenance records were checked, both had similar upkeep so no generalisation, Top Gear certainly won't overlook that fact and Clarkson made it quite clear before the test and assessment, and if you go by Consumer Reports rating, Lexus scores way higher than MB.

Under normal circumstances I would take the Land Cruiser anyday anywhere - dependable and gives the built to last feeling all the time I drive it. It just cannot be called tinny - mind-blowing road presence. No, I would not dare take a X5 or a Cayenne or a Q7 (all Germans) to Leh talk about better engineered or whatever.

That said, I love the feel about the German cars and feel they are very evolved. They just do not do things that you expect a car to do but much more - you develop a bond with them. You look after them and you plan to gift them to your children. My office does not have a good parking and is on a very congested road (and I do not like being driven around) otherwise I would have loved to drive a German car to office everyday.

I do not know whether I could make the point but maybe a new perspective.