sudeepd

Does the Turbocharged Engine need to be idled.....

Hi friends,

Does a Turbocharged Engine need to be idled for 30 seconds before and after running the vehicle?

The Owner's Manual of Tata Indigo recommends to run the Engine at idle for 30 seconds before and after running the vehicle (IRRESPECTIVE OF ENGINE TEMPERATURE) TO LUBRICATE THE TURBOCHARGER AND AVOID DAMAGE TO IT (Turbocharger) AS THE TURBOCHARGER SPINS AT SPEEDS IN EXCESS OF 1,00,000 RPMS. IF THIS IS NOT CARRIED OUT (Running the Engine at idle), SEVERE DAMAGE CAN OCCUR TO THE TURBOCHARGER.

But recently I read in the Owner's Manual of our Dad's friend's Maruti Dzire VDI = When the vehicle is run on Highways or if the vehicle is made to climb on Steep Slopes, then run the Engine at Idle Rpm for 1 minute (The reason behind this is not given in Dzire's Manual, although I know it).

Please tell me whether the Turbocharged Engine requires to be idled or not?

And why Tata recommends running the Engine at idle for 30 seconds before and after running the vehicle and Maruti-Suzuki recommends running the Engine at idle "after driving on Highways or climbing Steep Slopes" Only (and not in other conditions)?

I think that it should be idled in order to avoid damage to turbo unit. Even for Logan, they said this. I usually idle the vehicle after a drive(long or short, anything) for about 20-30 seconds with AC off. While starting I won't rev harder until the temp. needle comes to its normal position.

Even if not given in the owners manual, it is always a good idea to let the turbo cool down before stopping the engine. I do it every morning during the first start and during every shutdown.

It gives me time to set things right in the cabin, put my favourite songs or just collect stuff which I may need.

FRG

Means a car fitted with Turbocharger cannot be shut off at signals which are less than 2minutes. Because before shutting off, you have to idle for 30 seconds and after starting again you have to idle for 30 seconds. So no point in shutting off at signals, right?

Edited: Does the Turbocharger require lubricating (Idling of 30 seconds) even when you switch off the Engine for 5-10 minutes? If no, after how long if the Engine has shut off, the Turbocharger requires lubricating (Idling of vehicle for 30 seconds)?

1.  Suppose I drive for 5kms and then shut off the vehicle for 5-10 minutes.

2a.Suppose the Temperature Gauge did not reach the Half Mark before shutting off. Will I have to idle for 30 seconds before driving again?

2b.Suppose the Temperature Gauge reached the Half Mark before shutting off. Will I have to idle for 30 seconds before driving again?

3. TATA RECOMMENDS IDLING FOR 30 SECONDS IRRESPECTIVE OF TEMPERATURE AND DISTANCE COVERED DURING PREVIOUS DRIVING. Means if I drive for 5kms then I will have to idle for 30 seconds before and after driving those 5kms. OK after driving 5 kms, I shutoff the Engine for 5 minutes. Then again I will have to idle for 30 seconds before and after my next journey (again back 5 kms).

My one question is still left unanswered. How is that TATA advise,  irrespective of Temperature and Distance covered, the Turbocharged car should be idle for 30 seconds and MARUTI-SUZUKI advise that only after driving at high-speeds or if the car is made to climb steep slopes, the car should be idled for 1 minute?

Why there is different advice from two different manufacturers about a (Not Same) Turbocharged Diesel Engine Car?
sudeepd2009-01-09 08:09:59

The basic point is that the turbine is running at high speed. Oil has the dual functions of lubricating and cooling the turbine.

At startup (esp cold) you need to get the oil circulating. If the engine is warm them the oil viscosity is low and this time is far less.

At the shut-down the main reason for idling is to remove the heat from the turbine area.

You will not blow up the turbine if you do not follow the advice, but you may reduce the life significantly.

Mr sgiitk is absolutely right..

theres a very thin layer of lubricating oil..which flows while the turbocharger is active..

but as soon as you switch off the engine..it takes time for that oil to settle down..and so 30 seconds is supposed to be a standard time so that the oil can come back to the sump and then you can reignite the engine..

so its better to practice the 30 sec process..

oh! thats a very interesting topic. I normally dont read manuals for most things. This topic surely encourages to read maual of my new ikon tdci before using it. tdci is tubo-charged right? are there any other such precautions?

The turbine is a high precision component and as such requires a little more care. The Turbine rotors are mounted on very delicate bearings which are alloys, and the oil functions for cooling and for lub purposes.

When the turbine is running at max cap. the metal with in the turbine heats up this heated metal requires to be brought down in temperature in a gradual manner which will happen only if the process as mentioned in the manual is adhered too. If you cut off the engine the moment you stop the oil flow to the turbine will stop and the temperature will in fact increase in this case before cooling causing warping of the rotor/stator or the blades thus reducing the life of the turbine.

More so while starting in the winter seasons. If you notice the rpm needle closely you will note that the rpm rises by approx 100-150 rpm after @30 secs which should give you a fair idea of the turbine coming up to temperature.

Even when you drive off take care not to reach the max rpm in each gear but let it gradually build up temprature and say after about couple of mins of driving you can then max the rpm if you want.

This topic surely encourages to read maual of my new ikon tdci before using it. tdci is tubo-charged right? are there any other such precautions?

Yes, you have to idle for 30 seconds everytime after you start the engine and before turning it off IRRESPECTIVE OF THE TEMPERATURE OF THE ENGINE AND THE DISTANCE COVERED BY THE CAR BEFORE TURNING IT OFF.

@ Vineet Garg

Sorry, I did not congratulate you on your Brand New Ikon TDCI.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Please carry out the Periodic Maintenance Schedule Properly.

And yes Please get the work carried out on your car before you, so that you will know which works are carried out upto your satisfaction. DONT TRUST THE AUTHORISED WORKSHOP IF THEY SAID/REQUESTED YOU "TO SIT AT THE RECEPTION OF WORKSHOP TILL THE WORKS ARE CARRIED OUT". You will never know what works have been carried out (IF ANY) on your car while you are sitting at Reception and reading Magazines.

The Wheel Alignment is not carried out properly if we dont pay attention.

My friend owns a Swift Dzire VDi. Inspite of the wheel alignment carried out every 5000kms at the MASS, the front tyres were worn unevenly.

So if this is case with MARUTI, then you can imagine with FORD.

I live in Solapur. But I carried out Wheel Alignment on our Indigo XL at a Tyre Store located at Hirabaug Chowk, Tilak Road, Pune. Our car (Indigo) has covered 16000+kms after that Alignment and still no uneven wear seen on tyre and the aligment is still good (the car does not pull to any side if the steering is left untouched). So it is the matter of QUALITY Of Service.

If you have any problems regarding your Ikon, feel free to PM me as I have too much Experiences in handling the Dealers and ASS(Authorised Service Stations). If I can help you, I surely will.
sudeepd2009-01-21 14:09:05