garg.vineet1

Car Service prices

For the same manufacturer, it varies from city to city, dealer to dealer.

I'd rate like this:

1. Maruti

2. Tata

3. Hyundai

4. GM(but they offer some free maintenance packages for 3yr/45000km)

5. Ford

For Maruti and Tata, sourcing genuine spares outside is easy. The difference in spares of Maruti, Tata and Hyundai shouldn't be much. But Ford is on the expensive side.

For the same manufacturer' date=' it varies from city to city, dealer to dealer. 
[/quote']

I second CC. I enquired about Indigo XL's Front Fog Lamps price at two different TATA Dealers in my city. The Dealer from whom we purchased the car told me Rs.4100/- each and other Dealer told me Rs.1000-1500/-.

Edited part:

The same goes for labour charges. Different Dealers charge you different rates for same piece of work. Even some (NOT MANY) Non-Authorised garages charge you more than that of Dealer (and the Quality of work is also not good).

Also be Careful from some dealers and garages. They tell you to carry out some work even when the car has some other different problem. I HAVE VERY BIG EXPERIENCE ABOUT THIS.
sudeepd2009-01-10 14:11:41

Also be Careful from some dealers and garages. They tell you to carry out some work even when the car has some other different problem. I HAVE VERY BIG EXPERIENCE ABOUT THIS.

I can second that - (read my thread about "Overheating M800" for details) smiley1.gif

But in the interest of fairness - I should say that I've had a couple of good experiences too - Driveshaft replacement for my M800 was cheaper at a dealer owned workshop (parts + labor) at Rs 4100 for both the driveshafts. The price for new driveshafts (ACDelco) was quoted as Rs four hundred higher (parts cost only, labor another couple of hundred) when I enquired about the prices from a friend's auto spares store.  When I showed him the bill for what they cost me at the Dealer - he was speachless as he was already giving me his best price.

That was hard to explain smiley5.gif

Just check. Many extended warranties only cover the drive train and vurtually nothing else. Clutch and brakes are considered routine maintenance items and are hence out of the purview. If this is the case one should forget it. The engine & transmission can certainly be expected to last in excess of 125,000km

For the same manufacturer' date=' it varies from city to city, dealer to dealer.?[/quote']

I second CC. I enquired about Indigo XL's Front Fog Lamps price at two different TATA Dealers in my city. The Dealer from whom we purchased the car told me Rs.4100/- each and other Dealer told me Rs.1000-1500/-.

?

Edited part:

The same goes for labour charges. Different Dealers charge you different rates for same piece of work. Even some (NOT MANY) Non-Authorised garages charge you more than that of Dealer (and the Quality of work is also not good).

?

Yes I have been facing these problems with some tata dealers here in Mumbai too... I sent my car for Clutch replacement. He replaced the clutch for me and after 2 months the car was having the same problem and I sent the car to TATA company workshop and they told me that the clutch plate was not replaced by a new one where the AUTH. Dealer charged me for a new cluthc plate. Also I got my rear power window replaced as the windor broke and after a week my front window was starting to give me problems after replacing the rear window. My experience with TATA's have been worse and I HAVE decided to never buy any TATA car again nor recommend anyone for the TATA car.

For my I have owned a TATA, FORD, MARUTI, SKODA

According to me No car gives you maintanence for the first 3 years, after 3 years the maintenace of TATA, FORD and SKODA is the same where else maruti is a little cheaper.

I checked with ford dealer and they say that "Extended warranty" does not cover clutch/brake etc as they are routine maintainence. My car is not going to run like 10-15k per annum. So i am confused if i should buy extended warranty or not.

@garg.vimneet1. I drive about 8,000km a year on each of my cars. I opted out. In fact I was thinking about the extended warranty when a family friend pointed this out. As mentioned earlier you should not have any transmission/engine problems for at least 125,000km, so IMHO there is no point donating money to the company.

For the same manufacturer' date=' it varies from city to city, dealer to dealer. [/quote']

Edited part:

Yes I have been facing these problems with some tata dealers here in Mumbai too... I sent my car for Clutch replacement. He replaced the clutch for me and after 2 months the car was having the same problem and I sent the car to TATA company workshop and they told me that the clutch plate was not replaced by a new one where the AUTH. Dealer charged me for a new cluthc plate. Also I got my rear power window replaced as the windor broke and after a week my front window was starting to give me problems after replacing the rear window. My experience with TATA's have been worse and I HAVE decided to never buy any TATA car again nor recommend anyone for the TATA car.

That is why one should get the work carried out before himself (in front of himself).

I dont trust any Dealer or Local Garages any more. Whenever I want to carry out some work (Repairs eg. Replacing Part or Routine Maintenance eg. Oil Change), I get it done before me, so that I can know what was the cause behind that problem and what parts were replaced during carrying ou the work.

I ADVISE YOU TO STAND NEAR YOUR CAR AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORKS CARRIED OUT ON YOUR CAR WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER OR LOCAL GARAGE.

You can read my car's story below.

The works carried out in above post are carried out before me.

For the same manufacturer' date=' it varies from city to city, dealer to dealer.?[/quote']

?Edited part:

That is why one should?get the work carried out?before himself (in front of himself).

I dont trust any Dealer or Local Garages any more. Whenever I want to carry out some work (Repairs eg. Replacing Part or Routine Maintenance eg. Oil Change), I get it done before me, so that I can know what was the cause behind that problem and what parts?were replaced during carrying ou the work.

?

I ADVISE YOU TO STAND NEAR YOUR CAR AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE WORKS CARRIED OUT ON YOUR CAR WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER OR LOCAL GARAGE.

?

?You can read my car's story below.

?

The works carried out in above post are carried out before me.

I totally Agree with you

agreed that extended warranty might be waste for average users who do not run their car over 1 lac km in first 2-3 years.

But their are total maintainence plans too, like ford has one where they take 10k for 2 years/ 30k plan. Therein they claim that nothing will need to be paid during any service or repair.

However, since car will anyways be in warranty for first two years, what is the point of total maintainence plan?

I guess the total maintenance includes the consumables as well. Price out the filters, oil, etc. and then see. The suspension typically needs to be redone in about 50,000+km and the clutch in even more unless you ride it.