ahdesai

Run in neutral... saves fuel?

If I run my car in neutral it saves me fuel since neutral is the gear where the car uses the least fuel.

Now when I am going down the hill on a road or approaching a red traffic light, if I shift my gear to neutral and just control the car with  the breaks, some questions related to this approach:

* What is the implication of this on the engine? Does this approach damage the engine in the long/short term?

* Does this really save fuel? If so, how much?

* The usage of breaks is done without pressing the clutch in this approach, does this have any negative implications?

Hello ahdesai!Welcome to ACI forums!

Well, NEVER try to do this!..its not a wise idea to run your car in neutral when going down hill! I hope your life is more important for you than saving fuel!

Better you use gears while driving downhill, If you drive it in neutral you may loose control from your car and also brakes clutch etc may fail!So as i said its better to use gears!

But on a road when a red light is approaching you can shift to neutral before, but it really doesn't saves much fuel though!smiley1.gif
vibhor2009-01-09 11:30:56

Dear Ahdesai

Do not do this.

IF you neutral your Car , if are not saving on fuel  but you are putting your life and the car at greatest risk.

your power stearing , breaks , clutch may not work in imergency and u may land up in big trouble.

Please dump this idea and drive safe.

on downhills or slope , put your car in 3rd or 4th geat and take your foot from acc pedal, the car run fine and use least fuel

Coasting <as it is called> is dangerous, can lead to brake fade. Better to use engine braking when going down hill. Everyday I say a prayer for my family, me, my home and my vehicle, in that order. So if you want all of them intact, don't coast.

I fully endorse the views put forth by vibhor,bhalchandra and Durango Dude.Thats the difference between a hand cart and a car. The hand cart is always in neutral and does'nt guzzle any fuel, whereas a car does.So we must remember that we are not propelling a hand cart but a car!

One must never try such pranks at all. NEVER!

Golden rule for hill driving is:- Use the same gear while coming down, which you used while going up. This is best for the health of your passengers and your car.

So it you climbed a particular hill in 3rd gear then descend the same in 3rd gear also. It will keep the descent speed in check, put less strain on your brakes. Dont use the clutch while breaking till you are close to stalling.

This rule is followed by all professional drivers of buses, taxis and trucks who regularly drive on hills.

And the engine does not use much fuel till you press the accelerator.
akj53in2009-01-09 21:52:16

Funny Topic!!

Run in Neutral, you will burn the brake shoe rubber!

You can save 2 rs of fuel, but will pay for the brake maintainance and can be very dangerous...You may also end up paying huge bills to the hospital!!

my replies may be

1.This has no implication on engine.It does not affect your engine in long / short term.

2.Yes this saves a considerable bit of fuel.

3.U can very well use ur brakes without depressing clutch pedal.No Implications.

My Suggestion:

NEVER EVER TRY THIS EVEN FOR ONE OR TWO TIMES.

THE MOST DANGEROUS DRIVING PRACTICE WHEN U R DRIVING DOWN HILL!!!

No, running in Neutral does not effect your engine in any way, although it is a popular misconception that running the car in Neutral saves fuel which is not true, when you let your car run in neutral the engine keeps running on its own and hence burns some fuel, whereas if you need to slow down then instead of shifting to neutral you should rather gearshift downwards, in this case the engine instead of running on its own is run by the momentum of the Car hence consuming Zero fuel, this you can verify from someone who is having a skoda or the likes which come with a real time mileage indicator.

although it is a popular misconception that running the car in Neutral saves fuel which is not true' date=' when you let your car run in neutral the engine keeps running on its own and hence burns some fuel, whereas if you need to slow down then instead of shifting to neutral you should rather gearshift downwards, in this case the engine instead of running on its own is run by the momentum of the Car hence consuming Zero fuel[/quote']

In Neutral any vehicle consumes less fuel as compared to that of in a Gear Other Than Neutral and THAT IS WHY WE IDLE AT SIGNALS IN NEUTRAL AND NOT IN A GEAR (Although it is different thing that idling in Gear eats up Clutch also with more Fuel).

Now for the Bold and Underlined Letters instead of shifting to neutral you should rather gearshift downwards, in this case the engine instead of running on its own is run by the momentum of the Car hence consuming Zero fuel. If this can happen that Downshifting can cause cars to consume Zero Fuel instead of shifting to Neutral, everyone would keep on downshifting every now and then to save fuel.
sudeepd2009-01-10 14:24:40

If I run my car in neutral ...
* What is the implication of this on the engine? Does this approach damage the engine in the long/short term?
* Does this really save fuel? If so' date=' how much?
* The usage of breaks is done without pressing the clutch in this approach, does this have any negative implications?

[/quote']

budy one advice save your and others life rather than saving fuel. coasting in neutral is going to jeopardise your control over the vehicle.

Unfortunately lot many bus drivers seem to do this. this is my personal experience in Pune. I commute to office in office bus and the driver seem to always coast at 60 kph just the moment they see a consistent slope. tried to speak it out to them but no use. they continue to do that...

not downhill but when you are approaching a red light and you have momentum i shift the car to nuetral and roll the car to standstill at the signal...even i have done this while coming downhill buy my speed was just around 40-50 kmph.

The rule of thumb is that when in motion the car should be always in Gear. Try coasting at any point in a UK driving test, and you will be instantly failed.Even the very common habit of coasting into a turn is not allowed. You are expected to slow down and then 'gently' accelerate out of a turn.

sgiitk2009-01-15 08:35:07

So what? I have driven in India for almost 40 years and I think I should know. I have also held a UK (now EEC) license for almost 25 years. Driving in neutral is a BIG NO-NO. As simple as that.

Correction: UK/EE license for almost 35 years. Age does slow down the mind!

sgiitk2009-01-15 08:52:17