sudeepd

Pulsar 180DTSi With LCD Speedometer.

Hi AAA,
           I am very Sorry to say but I am very disappointed with the forum members of Autocar India. None of them is able to solve my queries Satisfactorily.

I OWN A PULSAR 180DTSi WITH LCD SPEEDOMETER. 

1. My First query is related to the gearshifting noise.
When I downshift the gears (Read it Carefully WHEN I DOWN SHIFT THE GEARS) the gearbox makes irritating noise (Tong) as if I am down shifting without depressing the clutch lever. Infact I depress the clutch lever fully every time I shift (be it up shift or down shift) the gears. The noise doesn't come while up shifting. I repeat THE NOISE DOESN'T COME WHILE UP SHIFTING. I got Chain and Clutch Adjusted But in vain.
               I showed to a mechanic at Authorized Service Center. He said the clutch plates are not getting fully released. So he said to check whether they are getting released fully or not. The mileage of my Pulsar is 4700kms. And I dont want to get the clutch mechanism opened so early (at 4700kms).
But I didn't understand one thing. If the clutch plates are not getting fully released what that has to do with the noise that comes only when Down shifting and not when Up shifting.

I showed to another Authorized Service Center. The head supervisor said " ALL TWO WHEELERS IN INDIA SUFFER FROM THE SAME PROBLEM OF NOISE COMING WHEN DOWN SHIFTING THE GEARS, LEAVE ALONE YOUR PULSAR".

2. How much chain slackness should be kept and how to measure it (Should it be measured just by moving the chain up and down and measuring that distance)?

3. How to find out the air-fuel ratio is correctly set or not?
How much turns should the air-fuel ratio screw be turned anticlockwise after fully tightening the screw for proper combustion (i.e how to set the air-fuel ratio of 14:1)?

4. How to adjust the idle rpm. If the rpm is kept a little bit high (to avoid stalling the engine when it is cold) then the rpm rises too much when the engine has warmed up. If the rpm is kept a little bit low (since the rpm rises too much when the engine has warmed up) then the engine stalls when it is cold.

I Didn't Expected Such Down market Service from A Reputed Brand Like Bajaj Auto Limited.

So If Anyone Listening Out There, I Request PLEASE HELP ME Solving the Problems My Darling Is Suffering From.
Bye.
FuelRunGod2007-10-11 12:11:52

hey there. Please accept an apology for a late revert.

The noise cause while downshifting on any motorcycle most probably has more to do with your riding habits than the bike having any problem. Maybe you should request a more experienced rider to take you for a ride and help you practice how to blip the throttle a little (raise engine rpm suitably) at the same moment as downshifting with the clutch pulled in. This should cure the noise. You can also check to see that the bike has its chain properly lubricated and adjusted.

This is a job best left to the mechanic. The air fuel ratio is again a job that has to be attended to by an experienced mechanic and should not be attempted by you. Every bike requires a different number of turns to its air-screw on the carb to find the correct state of tune, so its not possible to provide you a fix on this. You could however adjust the idling of your bike yourself, by simply turning the adjusting screw provided on the carburettor for this.
FuelRunGod2007-10-11 11:52:03

Hi FRG,

1. U said that blip the throttle a little while down shifting the gears of Pulsar 180DTSi with LCD speedometer. But as far as I know gears should and must be shifted (may it be up shifting or down shifting) with throttle fully closed. Only the truck drivers shift by blipping the throttle a little ( may be because of the mechanism of the gearbox of the trucks).

Also U did not answer my this question.

2.How much chain slackness should be kept and how to measure it (Should it be measured just by moving the chain up and down and measuring that distance) in case of Pulsar 180DTSi with LCD speedometer? One of my friend advised me to keep slackness of just 5 mm. The manual does not put light on this. Please help me FRG.

Thanking U in advance,

Sudeep.