FuelRunGod

Scorpio Vs Safari

for me invariably its the Scorpio- me too a Mahindra loyalist and I've learnt driving on a Mahindra jeep (CJ 4A petrol) . I simply admire their toughness and have travelled tens of thousands of kms all over the country. Scorpio is a good Indian R&D example. The Safari needs to make up on the reliability front. Its resale value plummets once its out of a showroom. The Scorpio retains its value (not like the Qualis or Innova) much better than the Safari or even the Bolero. And the second hand market resale value and demand  for any car is the best source to be informed about its TRUE VALUE in every sector. 

Ok I'll tell you guys where I am coming from.

I use the Scorpio to travel to all the INRC Rally's.

The car is laden to the brim with stuff' date=' most of the times it spill's over to the rear seat as well.

I have three people in the car, including me.

I get an average of about 7-9 kmpl depending on how hard I press the loud pedal on the highway. I generally cruise between 90~130 km whenever I can.

Overall package.. I'd say the scorpio wins over the truck.. oops I mean Safari.

FRG I know you have your loyalties to the truck.. and me to mine..so I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

[/quote']

Just to decide this contest - Try sitting on the backseat of your scorpio on a bad road. Bumpity bumpity bump all the way. Now on the same road, sit in the back seat of the Safari. You wont even know u hit a bump.

Scorpio is a good package overall but the suspension really sucks. Till they sort that out the Safari is a far superior vehicle.

Ok I'll tell you guys where I am coming from.

I use the Scorpio to travel to all the INRC Rally's.

The car is laden to the brim with stuff' date=' most of the times it spill's over to the rear seat as well.

I have three people in the car, including me.

I get an average of about 7-9 kmpl depending on how hard I press the loud pedal on the highway. I generally cruise between 90~130 km whenever I can.

Overall package.. I'd say the scorpio wins over the truck.. oops I mean Safari.

FRG I know you have your loyalties to the truck.. and me to mine..so I think we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

[/quote']

Just to decide this contest - Try sitting on the backseat of your scorpio on a bad road. Bumpity bumpity bump all the way. Now on the same road, sit in the back seat of the Safari. You wont even know u hit a bump.

Scorpio is a good package overall but the suspension really sucks. Till they sort that out the Safari is a far superior vehicle.

try the new mHawk. the suspension is almost as good as the safari. as for me, suspension and space are not everything in a SUV. stunning looks, awesome performance, superb features and good reliabilty is what drives me in favour of the scorpio.

The Safari for me it is.

The Scorpio has a lot of street presence and a powerful engine now even more powerful with the new engine but its looks just dont appeal to me. Plus the famous Scorpio handling.

The Safari is beautiful to look at. The new pearl colour is really nice, its huge, spacious and has got a much needed engine upgrade too.

Also I believe the Scorpio hardly sells in 4x4 versions!

I do not know how many of you know of the product Mahindra launched somewhere in the early 90's " COMMANDER ". It had a longer chassis than the MM540.I had driven the Commander almost everyday from home to my site near Sahapur ( 120 kms to and fro ) for 6 months.

I changed to an esteem after that stint and have changed many vehicles after that but have never thought of drving an SUV till date. I drove the Scorpio and somehow the feel of the Commander is still there,either the seating position or the position of the clutch and brake or something I cannot figure out.During rains it was a mess, absolutely horrible handling on slightly wet roads the steering would simply disconnect with the jeep, you would be steering it to the right and the jeep would be moving to the left. The center of gravity of the vehicle was not considered as an important aspect while designing this vehicle. The product definitely is not as bad as the Commander but Mahindra still have a long way to go.

The Safari feels better on the handling and the ride front.

Now thats an insult to the Scorpio! smiley36.gif

We own a 2004 Commander and yes its quite a handful! Its used for delivering goods to customers and we are planning to buy another one if Mahindra still makes them.

well with new 2.2lts engine of safari its almost 3 sec faster than the previous 3.0 ltr engine when acc. from 0-100...

and the difference btw scorpio 2.2 and 2.6 ltr engine is marginal....

safari wins hands down from its predecessor in terms of engine refinement , fuel efficiency...rest comfort has always been its U.S.P

new scorpio wins marginally in terms of engine refinement but has better handling and whole load of stuff  added.

if u r going for higher version and are going to drive yourself go for scorpio i.e in the bracket of 9-10 lacs.

if ur going for lower version i.e 7-8 lacs bracket then go for safari because of better engine ,comfort.

We own a 2004 Commander and yes its quite a handful! Its used for delivering goods to customers and we are planning to buy another one if Mahindra still makes them.

Sorry made a mistake, we used to own a Commander but now own a Maxx, both are a handful anyways!

i would go for safari, its been on roads since long but still doesnot looks dated.now it has got much needed refined engine n handling is also improved..on the other hand scorpio lacks comfort, handling is not upto the mark.so i think safari is now having upper hand over scorpio.

well with new 2.2lts engine of safari its almost 3 sec faster than the previous 3.0 ltr engine when acc. from 0-100...

and the difference btw scorpio 2.2 and 2.6 ltr engine is marginal....

safari wins hands down from its predecessor in terms of engine refinement ' date=' fuel efficiency...rest comfort has always been its U.S.P

new scorpio wins marginally in terms of engine refinement but has better handling and whole load of stuff  added.

if u r going for higher version and are going to drive yourself go for scorpio i.e in the bracket of 9-10 lacs.

if ur going for lower version i.e 7-8 lacs bracket then go for safari because of better engine ,comfort.
[/quote']

the scorpio for me

i would like to tell you that the scorpio 2.2 is faster than the safari 2.2

maybe its because of it lower kerb weight or shorter gearing

also the scorpio 2.2 is more refined and efficient than the safari 2.2

yes, space and comfort is better in the safari though

This thread was started when I had put a question to FRG regarding which one (Safari Vs. Scorpio) to choose back in January.

Having bought the Scorpio finally and having driven it for the last 5 months, I have to concede that I agree with your comment. It's indeed "to each his own".

I love my Scorpio not only because its technically perhaps a superior vehicle than Safari but also "it's my car". I brush aside comments (which may be true in a lot of cases) such as "bad handling", "needs better suspension", "poor man's SUV", "loose steering wheel" etc. and love the damn vehicle coz I have bought it with my hard earned money and it's my first new vehicle!! (have owned and driven 2nd hand cars earlier).

So while the debate may rage on - the fact of the matter is that I love being the king of the road with a mileage of approx. 11 kms per litre in city traffic conditions!

This thread was started when I had put a question to FRG regarding which one (Safari Vs. Scorpio) to choose back in January.

Having bought the Scorpio finally and having driven it for the last 5 months' date=' I have to concede that I agree with your comment. It's indeed "to each his own".

I love my Scorpio not only because its technically perhaps a superior vehicle than Safari but also "it's my car". I brush aside comments (which may be true in a lot of cases) such as "bad handling", "needs better suspension", "poor man's SUV", "loose steering wheel" etc. and love the damn vehicle coz I have bought it with my hard earned money and it's my first new vehicle!! (have owned and driven 2nd hand cars earlier).

So while the debate may rage on - the fact of the matter is that I love being the king of the road with a mileage of approx. 11 kms per litre in city traffic conditions!

[/quote']

GOOD. PURCHASE HAS BEEN MADE , SO NO MORE POSTING HERE. MODS PLZ CLOSE THIS THREAD.