dtandon

More power for the Logan 1.5 Diesel

The intention behind this thread is NOT to go about adding Pete's boxes or K&N intakes to the car.

Allow me to explain how this thought entered my head -

Was going thru Autocar's 2009 wishlist - saw the one about having more powerful diesel car's to drive in 2009 - agreed with itsmiley2.gif.

Also saw the article about the more powerful 85bhp K9 series 1.5 diesel engine (and one touted at 105bhp) that new launches from the Renault stable are going to bring to india.

This got me thinking about the potential for getting more power out of my 1.5 logan diesel.

Anyone know what the fundamental differences are between the engine sold in India(68bhp) and the more powerful variant(s) ?

Do the 85bhp (and the 105bhp) engines have bigger turbos or is it just the ECU running different maps ?

I'm looking at the feasibility of getting the same kind of power from my 1.5 logan - lets just discuss the powertrain for now.

The project would ofcourse be dead in the water if the engine internals differ a lot.

With Euro-IV coming in next year, a very large number of cars will see an upgrade/replacement of the engines since a large number of the current crop of engines cannot meet E-IV regulations.

Do the 85bhp (and the 105bhp) engines have bigger turbos or is it just the ECU running different maps?

I think the size of turbo will vary if the output difference between the small and bigger engines is high (I cannot specify how much HIGH).

The ECU is also tweaked to match -the bigger engine output and also the emission norms.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks sudeep, I think we all agree on what you mentioned.

I'm trying to find out the specifics of how the indian engine has been detuned - and hence evaluate if something can be done to enhance the output smiley1.gif .

FRG ?

Thanks sudeep' date=' I think we all agree on what you mentioned.[/quote']

You are Welcome.

I'm trying to find out the specifics of how the indian engine has been detuned.

I also dont know exactly how the engines are detuned.

I just know that an engine with higher output requires high octane/cetane fuel.

But what is the logic of detuning (means how the engines are detuned)?

Detuning is not just limited to ECM mapping but still it starts from there...

Apart from that based upon the requirements,it varies from engine to engine.

Take the case of  i10 kappa. its detuned in India for 1.2L where as export kappa's are made with 1.25L.

Here detuning is done to get excise duty benefits.

The stoke length of the piston is decreased so the parts affected maybe inlet cam shaft, lash adjuster and ECM.

So Export Kappa's are more torque than the one in India.

In ur case of 1.5L Lagan's 68BHP engine and 105BHP engine, the power differance of almost 30% increase is certainly not possible from the std engine with changes jus limited to ECM.

There will be major changes in the Valve trains, bore and stroke of cylinder and Turbo(may be VGT inplace of FGT).

So if at all u need to tweak ur logans engine its difficult uness other wise we know wat has exactly happened.

And further in my view we must not say them as detuned engines rather variants of same engine.

Detuning is not just limited to ECM mapping but still it starts from there...

Apart from that based upon the requirements,it varies from engine to engine.

Take the case of  i10 kappa. its detuned in India for 1.2L where as export kappa's are made with 1.25L.
[/quote']

Reducing 1.25L to 1.2L will generally not be called detuning. Detuning/tuning is normally meant the take the same engine and then look at the settings (carb size, type etc. in the past), ECU settings, turbo type and settings. For example one common trick to get more power in turbo engines used to be to increase the poppet valve setting.

Most engines which are on sale in India and abroad are detuned to compensate for our petrol. Since 93RON is standard abroad while we have 91RON in E-III towns (with IOC XP at 93RON) the ECU can be 'chipped' to use the more aggressive overseas settings.

Would have done that - but its my dad's everyday ride and I use it only on the weekends for those long drives.

Can't really do extensive mods on my dad's car - can I smiley24.gif - he's already said NO to adding a pete's box.

Looking for something as inconspicuous as getting the European spec ECU maps (if the ECU remap alone will make a difference).