Sign in to follow this  
bluesapphire

COME BACK - TATA SIERRA

Hey guys should tata SIERRA do a come back...  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Hey guys should tata SIERRA do a come back...

I will give you one good reason why it should not come back,

The temperatures in most parts of India are unsuitable for this vehicle. The sun heats the glass roof and the car bakes to unbearable temperatures with no windows at the back.

I have been from bombay to pune in the sierra and God knows, i tell no lies, i have been sweating all the way.

Yes one reason is what shriraj24_7 said the other is its poor handling and economy .Sierra is for those who live in cold areas in our country and want something different. The earlier engine was underpowered but the DICOR can help it ,Tata will have to invest high on R&D to give it an upmarket look.

Sierra was a model whose time has come.

I think it was based on some Ford model?

As usual it suffered from the normal Tata problems of underpowered engine,poor reliability, bad electricals and handling.

Dont think u can improve much on such a platform.

The Sierra was really a fancy to many like me at that time.  The concept and attitude of the car was great - a go-anywhere personal lifestyle vehicle.  But the actual car was way off from the concept and everyone knows about the problems associated with the car.  Bringing back the Sierra is not going to work as the average Indian consumer is well informed and is ever more demanding. 

But Tata, or any other manufacturer in India for that matter, could tap this yet untapped segment for niche vehicles.  The Indian market is doing great but there is still a hunger for concepts like the Sierra.  Car companies are seemingly not encouraged by the low volumes of such cars.  The pocket-rich young generation of India will certainly take up any such car given at the right price, like when the Sierra was launched.  It should have the Sierra's virtues and more - style and luxury, the "i-have-arrived" stance and looks, off road ability and it should be personal.  It was surprising that a two-door car like the Sierra  could actually become so popular in India.  Hope some kind manufacturer takes note. 

Jitz

The Safari is really a family car and would not classify as a personal vehicle.  The Sierra with its two-doors and sporty looks was like a style statement at that time.  At present we don't have any car that will replace the Sierra and hopefully some company would come with one. 

Jitz

Obviously we aren't talking about bringing back the exact same Sierra. It will have to be new and far improved, possibly positioned a rung higher than the Safari. I liked it's wide stance and chunky proportions, the Safari seems overtly tall and narrow in comparison. Panel gaps and build quality would have to improve to incorporate something like the glass bay windows of old, I'd prefer regular windows and a glass panoramic sunroof. The 2-door 5-seat config was nice, they should stick to it. ABurner was right about the 3.5L DiCOR, it should be good for at least 200bhp? (Ok, wishful thinking) And please, a glovebox that doesn't slam open at every speedbump...

launch.png

Great motorjedi, that's the kind of car I'm talking about.  A Gypsy is too basic and utilitarian.  Even the Suzuki Jimny would be a good bet as a lifestyle vehicle.  The funny part about these cars is that you would be expecting college dudes and the like to be driving them, but most often than not you will be finding successful middle aged or even old folks trying to make a statement! 

Jitz.