reddy

cars & ground clearences/ india ?

hi friends this topic will be valid one i feel as some of the cars luanched in india ,are still having  ground clearences as low as 130 mm,  what will be ideal clearence we can think of , i still have problem with my skoda octavia,

hi friends this topic will be valid one i feel as some of the cars luanched in india ' date='are still having  ground clearences as low as 130 mm,  what will be ideal clearence we can think of , i still have problem with my skoda octavia,[/quote']

I do not think you can define an 'ideal' ground clearance.

As critical as the clearance are the 'entry and exit angles'. This is essentially the angle of the lowest point of the front (rear) overhang with respect to the horizontal, and defines the maximum slope which can be tackled without rubbing.

Ideally we will like a car with a clearance of the Willy's Jeep and the road grip of a Formula 1 car. Unfortunately, we cannot have both. Many cars are now coming with a variable suspension so that you can optimize the ground clearance. I was tempted to say high-end cars but then remembered the Citroes DS (from the 50's!), which had a hydro-pneumatic suspension allowing the height to be varied.

The adjustment range was huge, so a bonus was that wheel changes were a cinch, and you did not need a jack. Raise the height, push in a wheel stand and then lower the height. Bingo, the wheel goes into the well and off the road. Change the wheel, and reverse.

hi friends this topic will be valid one i feel as some of the cars luanched in india ' date='are still having  ground clearences as low as 130 mm,  what will be ideal clearence we can think of , i still have problem with my skoda octavia,[/quote']
I do not think you can define an 'ideal' ground clearance.

As critical as the clearance are the 'entry and exit angles'. This is essentially the angle of the lowest point of the front (rear) overhang with respect to the horizontal, and defines the maximum slope which can be tackled without rubbing.

Agree. It's the angles of 'approach' and 'departure' that are more important. Ground clearance is measured as the lowest point in the car. this is not necessarily the point which will will always hit the road. For example, the lowest point is often the lower suspension arm but since this rides up with the wheel over a speedbreaker or out of a pothole, it rarely touches the road. It is usually cars with a long wheel base and overhangs that are more vulnerable. Case in point: The Honda Civic. It has a seemingly adequate 170mm ground clearance but the reality is that it grounds a lot, the side skirts particularly.

Agree. It's the angles of 'approach' and 'departure' that are more important. Ground clearance is measured as the lowest point in the car. this is not necessarily the point which will will always hit the road. For example' date=' the lowest point is often the lower suspension arm but since this rides up with the wheel over a speedbreaker or out of a pothole, it rarely touches the road. 

[/quote']

Excellent point. I missed this one out. Thanks

ground clearance cannot be commented on because the hit in the bumps depends on the wheel base and angle of approach and exit.

Precisely what 325i and I have been discussing!

hi  i understand the front & rear overhangs ,approach & dep angle plays vital role in defining the ground clearence, but just imagine taking your ,bmw ,audi mercs  off  our high ways ? except s -class & lamborghini ( where suspension can be raised ) i had noticed many skoda octavias bottoming breaking the oil pans ? i hope all the above cars should give the height control suspension  as option,  i heard the  new audi A4  has got that option hope it comes to india ? bye

A height adjustable suspension is mostly hydro-pneumatic, or pneumatic and must be  electronically controlled. It cannot be retrofitted. Cars have to be designed with it.

Added:

I guess the Old Citroen DS was not, since it has a lever in the wheel well, but times have changed in the last 50 years!

sgiitk2007-10-12 09:20:07

What is the actual ground clearance of Logan some say its not fit for Mangalore roads as the roads are horrible and clearance is just 155 mm but some say the ground clearance of Logan is 172mm. ??

Yes actual ground clearance is 155 mm but to drive more customers they have kept a Code that is 172 mm (UNLADEN) which most of them dont put thier head. soo i think Logan should relly improve this one if not what can we(customers) do to improve the ground clearence? Bigger tyres?