dtandon

Fake USB drives (pendrives)

Just posting this for everyone's information - Since most entry level ICE setups now have USB support and lots of people use pendrives in cars.

There are a lot of fake flash drives (aka pendrives) available in the market and a friend of mine was recently duped - he bought what seemed to be a 32GB pendrive from a reputed brand for 2000 Rs (too good to be true) while getting his ICE installed in the accessories market. He even checked it by plugging it into a laptop - it showed up as a 32 GB drive.

But when he copied his music collection onto it - files were getting corrupted. Turns out that the drive was a fake and was hacked to show 32 GB capicity even though it could only hold 512MB.

Buy pendrives only from reliable sources with bill and warranty (most brands have a website where you can look up the serial number to verify the warranty). Check them by copying data to the drive and then back to the computer - Don't go by the displayed capicity.

A friend of mine just bought a 32 GB pendrive for 4.5K. Its really amazing how much Technology has advaned. tons and tons and tons of informatio in the size of a finger. Luckily it works just fine.

4-4.5K is what the genuine ones sell for smiley1.gif .

But beware of deals that sound too good to be true - Especially when buying online and or without a bill. The fake I mentioned was purchased with an ICE setup (grey market) and the store refused to replace it.

64 GB capacity is available too - for upwards of 7K

Better buy an external hdd instead of paying 7k for 64gb pen drive . 

A Hard Disk Drive (hdd) has moving parts - the disk rotates at

5400/7200 rpm and can get damaged easily due to minor shocks. Hdd's for

mobile applications have sensors that lock the components when they

sense sudden shocks - so the playback skips as the drive can't read data

when you are driving over a broken road (similar to CD's).  You can

notice this with any modern laptop being used in a car.

Flash memory(pendrives) don't have any moving parts and are better suited for car's as they are immune to bumpy roads.

Also, most common HU's have a limitation on the size of the media

supported by the USB input. So your hard disk may just be too big for

your present HU.

Modern Hdd based HU's are just entering the mainstream ICE market and are

still beyond the reach of most buyers.  The best thing about technology

is - it gets cheaper and commonplace over time smiley1.gif. So I'd wait for those just a little bit longer.

Better buy an external hdd instead of paying 7k for 64gb pen drive .?

A Hard Disk Drive (hdd) has moving parts - the disk rotates at

5400/7200 rpm and can get damaged easily due to minor shocks. Hdd's for

mobile applications have sensors that lock the components when they

sense sudden shocks - so the playback skips as the drive can't read data

when you are driving over a broken road (similar to CD's).? You can

notice this with any modern laptop being used in a car.

Flash memory(pendrives) don't have any moving parts and are better suited for car's as they are immune to bumpy roads.

Also' date=' most common HU's have a limitation on the size of the media

supported by the USB input. So your hard disk may just be too big for

your present HU.

Modern Hdd based HU's are just entering the mainstream ICE market and are

still beyond the reach of most buyers.? The best thing about technology

is - it gets cheaper and commonplace over time smiley1.gif. So I'd wait for those just a little bit longer.

[/quote']

Hi what are u saying brother i bought an external hardisk from delhi nehru place for a genuine shop 1.5 years back it is 80 gb hard disk with warrenty for 2500rs.

now these days the computer market has gone to a toss a 8gb transend one cost for only 999rs. and if u wana go for a external hardisk with a capacity of 160gb then it will cost u 4000 rs.

Arjun - I'm talking about head units that come with inbuilt Hard Disk Drives for storage - I believe that Sony India has a couple of them for sale but they are priced upwards of 20K

External hard disk drives have been around forever - but they are not the best technology since they are not immune to shock damage.

Well i never heard of 32 and 64 Gb pendrives...Its good that we are having those in our markets..

And if we buy a seal packed from a reputed brand like Hp, Moser baer, Sandisk, Sony, Etc, then there cant be such problems and it should be from some good stores or some chain stores like Croma, Ezone, etc..

But yes in our market chinese pendrives are also available and some ignorant persons or in greed of low price, can get into these non-working pendrives..

Anyways that was useful info Dtandon..

Well I had seen the pen drives like 32 gb in palika bazar. Well to my surprice I saw a customer buying it and it acctually showed 32 gb but one more thing I saw it was a catch these people they run a software before showing to the customer which I dont know what it does it changes the file to show 32 to 64 gb.

Yeah.. Like I mentioned - these show incorrect capacities when plugged in but are actually a lot smaller and generally unreliable - they are programmed to show 32GB 64GB.. etc. but you realize that they are useless once you actually try to store data on them.

i can trust any place on this earth..except for palika bazar..

i live in delhi but never visit palika..atleast if i go there i avoid purchasing anything from there..

besides...,nice information Tandon..

thats why when u buy pendrives of flash drives alwyas stick to reputed brands like Transcend, Kingston. though their prices are a bit higher compared to local and chinese made pen drives , but these reputed companies dont cheat customers. Best among the two is Transcend which gives lifetime warranty to all its pendrives..

thats why when u buy pendrives of flash drives alwyas stick to reputed brands like Transcend' date=' Kingston. though their prices are a bit higher compared to local and chinese made pen drives , but these reputed companies dont cheat customers. Best among the two is Transcend which gives lifetime warranty to all its pendrives..[/quote']

The fake product I am talking about come in perfect/almost perfect Kingston and Transcend packing !!

Anyone without prior experience can mistake these for the genuine branded product. Beware!

@swiftvxi06

The lifetime warranty in case of transcend will not work here, it will give only 3 yrs warranty, in my experience I have faced many problems with Transcend rams and pendrives regarding replacing under warranty.

Well Sandisk are best for pendrives ..Although Moserbaer, Hp are also really good..

Year back i came across to a company APACER which claimed to have 5gb storage capacity in 1gb pendrive, on more info from the sales guy i came to know that it can store all Word, PDf, Excels file, Notepad,etc files using 5Gb capacity but for anything else the capacity is just 1Gb...

Yes Rssh and it was just a sales gimmick..There was a software inside which compresses the files which i said in my above post..

And yes there is no use of this much space for small files like Word/Excel/Notepad, etc..