thackervijay

Tata Aria, now launched pg10

Aria+Ladder on frame chassis=retrograde step=increased weight=atleast 2.2tons=atleast 600kgs penalty over the monocoque Innova, which will feel nimble as a hatch compared to the Aria which will be nothing but a 'disguised' truck. For an upmarket MUV in the range of say 12/13 lakhs this will be a big minus.

No doubt, Aria will be heavier than the Innova but I believe Tata would have made some strides since the Safari times. Safari is 1900 something Kgs, Innova is ~1600kgs. I guess Aria should better Safari & the difference between Aria & Innova could be smaller.

I also think, Aria would be bigger in dimensions than Innova. In such case going a little heavier would be acceptable. Its altogether another story that Tata would be hard-pressed to match Toyota standards which has a history of evolution behind it, while Tata comparatively is in its nappies still!

Tata Aria Caught During Testing

What you see here is the Tata Aria an MUV yet to be launched in

India. The car is being doing rounds with any cover on its body while

testing on the roads with the Temp registration from Pune to Mumbai

highway. It seems the company is testing out all types of speeds, twist

and turns to make it perfect before it launch.

Tata Aria Spy Pictures:

tata-aria-spy-pictures-150x150.jpg

tata-aria-spy-pictures_1-150x150.jpg

tata-aria-spy-pictures_2-150x150.jpg

[source: Link]

sb-alto2010-07-06 17:57:17

Aria's looks have 'Something' factor associated with it,

Its having Some sharp styling bits lifted from the LR Freelander.

It'll definitely create Ripples, when it'll be launched.

Tata's 2.2l DiCOR is also a Scorcher..  

Wish they lay some 'Alpine' roads in the Himalayas, then probably can think of a driving holiday in the Himalayas. The road surface and traffic looks pretty scary and if a blizzard hits: sure recipe for disaster. By the time you make your way via the Himalayas to the plains the car will be a total wreck, creaking like a senior citizen with severe arthritis.

Durango Dude2010-07-07 02:48:51

@DD: The pics reminded me of Chang La in Ladakh. What is the state is that the roads are by and large excellent, until you reach the bulldozer territory. At and around the high passes they regularly use bulldozers to scrape the snow off the road. here the road is unpaved - in terms of Tar Macadam, but still eminently drivable. This is typically 3-5km before and after the pass.To give you and idea more and more taxi operators in Ladakh are switching to 2WD Innovas. I even saw an Alto at Pangong!

Border Roads Organization known as Himank is doing a fantastic job.

Today I have been to Malik Cars workshop here in Hyderabad. I spoke to the SAFARI mechanic who incidentally have visited TATA center in Pune for updates for the ARIA.

He told me that they have been only given a brief up about the vehicle but they will be called up for the service training again.

As per him this car is full of sensors and ghizmos to the brim. Even a door open will give a lot of indications and beeps to the cock pit. He says the car has a good ground clearance and longer than the Safari. Fit and finish and fabric too is good, but the last row has not much of space. He expects it to be priced at around 12-15L range. Major mechanical update he says is that it has a totally new slick gear box mated to a refreshed 2.2 DiCOR engine as informed by TATA personnel.

Apart from the a new SAFARI was also placed there but was fully covered in a green cover and these people were prevented from peeping into the covers. But what they have identified is a flat front and the wheel cover tucked under the vehicle. He has no information about the mechanicals or engine.

" He told me that they have been only given a brief up about the vehicle

but they will be called up for the service training again."

This means that the launch of ARIA is still sometime away. Godd to know that TATAs are still trying there level best to improve the product before launch.

As per him this car is full of sensors and ghizmos to the brim. Even a door open will give a lot of indications and beeps to the cock pit.

This feature is available in all Fiat cars like Linea & Punto.

@NAREN64: With modern cars you have lights and warnings galore. If only one more was there - Punch you in the nose every-time you answer your mobile while driving.

sgiitk  Sir,

After the electronics have come into play in modern cars, time will tell when there is going to a punch on noses while attending mobile phones during driving & not allowing to drive cars while drunk.

Sir we are going off topic, anyway this has to be emphasised.

NAREN642010-07-21 08:24:35

I seriously feel that this TATA vehicle will do a lot better once launched

reason. This is the first TATA vehicle to be totally built by its TATA Europe Research Center and has been tested in european centers like in Sweden, UK and other countries in Europe for years and later has come to India for testing in Indian conditions only short period before its Launch in 2010 Delhi Auto Show in India.

Even the gear box is all new and has been designed from scratch i suppose. Only if the Engine is problem-free and refined, it will be a sure hit.

I am terribly curious but highly sceptical about what kind of quality Tata provides in the car. If the car has decent quality it will be a serious contender for the large family marker. Lets see!

Seeing the photos above, I wonder how brilliant would it be for ACI to organize a drive to himalya for its forum members.

As we have see from the launch pics, This vehicle has good plastic quality and except few bits. If they too are improved then we can expect it to do well.

There are many who fear that they need to run pillar to post after buying TATA vehicles and that was true then. But times have changed and with TASS too improved in service and spares. So we can expect better quality.

I have maintained 3 TATA vehicles am satisfied and though had to get some minor plastics repaired and replaced. 

So even with to new 2.2 VTT engine stablized in quality with vehicle post 2008 i see there should be no problem with this one and with JLR inputs shoud have become more problem free.

Aria looks great & seems this time Tata's have tried too hard to give almost perfect & niggles-free product to its customers. With its nice & upmarket looks, good fit & finishing, some real high-end & attractive features, its sure gonna be a attractive product & first of its kind India Product in automobile history.