sudeepd

Does excess quantity of Gear Oil do any harm??

Today I got the Gear Oil of our Indigo LS (1,58,924 kms) replaced with new one.

But I doubt the mechanic poured 4 litre oil instead of 3.3 litre (Recommended by TATA Motors Ltd). Will the excess 0.7 litre Gear Oil do any harm to the Gearbox in short or long run?

If yes, then I will have to remove the excess oil from the "level check" hole.

I know that if Engine Oil is excessively poured instead of Recommended Quantity, then that excess EO (Engine Oil) flows into exhaust chamber. But what about Gear Oil.

Please guide me.

excess oil should not harm u in short run but its always better to stick to manufactures recommendations.

And I am not sure weather ur TM(Transmission) assy will take additional 700ml of oil.smiley3.gif

Even if u try to drain make sure right amount of oil in TM assy and ensure proper closure of drain plug.

If required use gaskets or air drying sealant.

The capacity of the Engine Oil Chamber (SORRY I DONT KNOW WHICH WORD TO USE) and Gear Oil Chamber is usually more than the Capacity Recommended by Vehicle Manufacturers.

I had once read on this forum that one person had Toyota Landcruiser. He went to the ASS (Authorised Service Station) to replace the Engine Oil of his LC. The service center guy poured 2 litres more Engine Oil than that of Recommended by Toyota.

From this story we can understand that the capacity of Engine Oil and Gear Oil is more than that of specified in Owner's Manual (Manufacturers).

I am not sure weather ur TM(Transmission) assy will take additional 700ml of oil.smiley3.gif[/quote']

So now you know that the Gearbox of Indigo can take additional 700-1000ml more than specified by Tata (3.3 litres specified by Tata Motors Ltd.).

Today I got the Gear Oil of our Indigo LS (1' date='58,924 kms) replaced with new one.

But I doubt the mechanic poured 4 litre oil instead of 3.3 litre (Recommended by TATA Motors Ltd). Will the excess 0.7 litre Gear Oil do any harm to the Gearbox in short or long run?

If yes, then I will have to remove the excess oil from the "level check" hole.

I know that if Engine Oil is excessively poured instead of Recommended Quantity, then that excess EO (Engine Oil) flows into exhaust chamber. But what about Gear Oil.

Please guide me.
[/quote']

The gearbox should not be overfilled with oil - It will cause excess pressure in the gearbox (more than what the oil seals are designed to handle) and the seals will leak. In other words - more business for the mechanic/service station.

You'll need to use some kind of syringe/siphon to remove oil through the inlet (The "level check" hole). Its much easier to take it to a mechanic and let him drain the excess oil from the oil drain nut at the bottom.

By and large the gearbox is filled through a hole near the top. Once you fill it then the excess will drain away. In any case the volume of oil changes quite a bit with temperature.

It should not really matter if you overfill a bit.

With ATs watch out. The oil level is checked with the engine running and gearbox warmed up. Remember a static engine will give you a far higher oil level than what is correct. Too little oil will impact the torque converter as will too much. In case of the former efficiency will be impaired, in the latter the tendency to 'creep' will increase.

There are four holes for Gear Box of Indigo.

1. The Inlet,

2. The Level Check,

3. The Reverse Gear Switch plug ,

4. The Drain Plug.

Even if I pour 4 liters instead of 3.3 liters from Inlet hole, the excess 700ml will not overflow from Inlet.

Same applies for Engine Oil. Tata Motors Ltd. recommend 5.5 liters Engine Oil for Indica and Indigo. Even if 7-8 liters is poured, then also it will not overflow.

But coming back to my topic, I removed excess 700 ml oil.