sgiitk

Euro-IV Fuels?

When E-III came into the picture the Octane Rating of Petrol had to be upped to 91.Also, Also, Sulphur content, etc. of  Diesel was cut dramatically. Remember old Diesel used to be blackish and it is now almost clear.

What are the fuel specifications for Euro-IV when compared to Euro-III (and Euro-II)? Also, how will it effect then man on the road.

Will the gurus please provide the information.

what wub be the status of palio 1.2 el 2002 model . will it be accepted or out in a Euro IV environment

Good topic. Also read the Euro-IV casualties.

Well, Fiat or any other car which is already on road wont be taken off. The restriction only applies to the manufacturers. They should stop the production of those non-compliant cars.

These days all the auto manufacturers are gearing up to meet the Bharat Stage IV emission norms. Many car manufacturers like Tata and Maruti have already produced cars that meet these norms and others are revising their production strategies and introducing new techniques.

Thats encouraging news that i can use my old car palio. but will these restrictions mean that i cant drive my car in a typical euro iv city

No anirudh, there will not be any problem to you. You can take it anywhere, like you do now. As said by Jbond, this restriction is only for manufacturers. They should not sell any more EIII vehicles after 2010 in EIV cities.

Let me add a bit. At the moment vehicles have to be E-III in select cities, and E-II in the rest.

Next year this will become E-IV and E-III. The good thing will be that the Octane rating of petrol will have to be at least 91RON everywhere. So may be the detuning in cars sold in India will be reduced/ removed. Of course this assumes that the unofficial additives (like Kerosene) in fuels can be controlled!

How to identify the Octane and Cetane Ratings in case of Petrol and Diesel, respectively?

Means how to identify which Petrol is having Higher Octane than the other?

and which Diesel has Higher Cetane than the other?

Should I put it this way How to identify which Petrol is available at the Fuel Station where I fill Petrol (Bharat-II, Bharat-III)?

and which Diesel is available at the Fuel Station (Bharat-II, Bharat-III)

sudeepd2009-02-03 14:37:46

Should I put it this way How to identify which Petrol is available at the Fuel Station where I fill Petrol (Bharat-II' date=' Bharat-III)?

and which Diesel is available at the Fuel Station (Bharat-II, Bharat-III)

[/quote']

As per law only E-III fuels can be sold in E-III cities. So the safe assumption is that while E-III cities have E-III fuels other are  unlikely to have them. IOC clearly claims on its site the Premium is 93RON with no E-II/III distinction. . I hear that Reliance probably markets the same stuff across the country, so one can assume it must be E-III.

My dad works in IOC and he says that the technology to make E-IV is ready and once applicable E-III wont be sold in cities with E-IV regulations. How do you expect illiterate people like truck drivers and auto rickshaw drivers to differentiate between the two? So to avoid the confusion no E-III fuel shall be sold along with E-IV fuels

But Still my doubt is left uncleared.

I live in Solapur (Maharashtra). How should I find out whether currently my city is E-III or E-II?

How to find Octane and Cetane Ratings for Petrol and Diesel, respectively because the fuel station attendants dont know much about it?

1. What is Octane rating of Bharat Petroleum's Normal Petrol and Normal Speed (Normal Speed does not have Octane rating mentioned on it)?

2. What is Cetane rating of Bharat Petroleum's Normal Diesel and Hi-Speed Diesel (Both do not haveCetane rating mentioned on them)?

3. What is Cetane Rating of IOCs Xtra-Mile Diesel?

In short, Please give details of the Octane and Cetane Ratings of Petrol and Diesel, respectively, available from all Fuel Companies in India.

We have two Indigos. Indigo LS (May 2004)crossed 1,60,000+ kms.

Indigo XL Grand Dicor (May 2007) crossed 69,000+ kms.

Indigo LS requires E-II Diesel and Indigo XL Grand Dicor requires E-III Diesel.

So which Diesel should I go for:- Bharat Petroleum's Normal Diesel, Hi-Speed Diesel,

OR                         

IOC's Normal Diesel, Xtra-Mile Diesel.

@sudeep. I am quite sure you are not in an E-III location.

I there are links to the IOC site which give the fuel specs for E-III and E-IV. I am sure yo can find this in one of my posts in other threads, or through the IOC site or Google for it. Also, most of the data may already be there in my posts.

I see no real reason for the same pump to sell both E-n ane E-(n-1) at the same time. Only as per IOC XP is 93RON. This alone may not make it E-III though.

Next year all patrol and diesel will have the same Octane/cetane ratings across the country. E-III and E-IV will differ in the maximum Benzene content and sulphur, etc.

The below pdf document tells that there are two types of Normal Petrol available in BS-II Category. namely. MS88 and MS93.

And there is one type of Normal Petrol available in BS-III Category. namely MS91.

The BS-II MS88 has 88 Octane, while BS-II MS93 has 93 Octane, and BS-III MS91 has 91 Octane.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf

How is that BS-II has 93 Octane but not BS-III (See above Document).

The below pdf document tells that there are two types of Normal Diesel available in BS-II Category.

One has Cetane of 48 and another has Cetane of 51.

But both Diesels are of BS-II and none is of BS-III.

We have Indigo XL Grand Dicor whose Owner's Manual says that it is BS-III Compliant. That means I SHOULD AND MUST USE BS-III COMPLIANT DIESEL ONLY in our Indigo XL TO KEEP THE ENGINE FREE FROM DEPOSITS AND PERFORM BETTER EVERY TIME.

http://www.iocl.com/Products/DieselSpecifications.pdf

Can someone tell me why IOCL has not yet launched BS-III Fuels (Atleast the above PDF Document says that BS-III Compliant Diesel is not available)?

sudeepd2009-02-04 12:51:36

@supeepd: There is no contradiction.

93ON is XtraPremium. They advertised it as high octane. Also, others used to have 93ON as a premium petrol in some territories. After E-III being 91ON now the limited sales premium is 97ON.

Strictly it should be RON but we all know what we are talking about.

As for the diesel both column headers say BS-II. AFAIK the second column header is wrong and it is for BS-III, The give away is the lower sulphur content!

I do not see any reason why we cannot use a lower grade of fuel (within reason). Only emissions may be somewhat higher.

sgiitk2009-02-06 04:33:11

But how will I come to know, whether the Diesel contains 0.05% (500mg/kg) Sulphur or 0.035% (350mg/kg) Sulphur or any number?

Because on Fuel Pumps, there is no written note "This Diesel Pump contains XX% Sulphur". How to find the Sulphur Contents without any Big Laboratory Test?

Hey. the sulphur content in all Indian diesel is 2%. 

Only few countries have 2 parts per million of sulphur content. Just read it in wikipedia. Singapore, USA, Europoe, Sweden and few others have that one.

Again, Indian diesel has 2% sulphur content and hence polluting.

By the way. How is the Indigo XL grande going??? Have you written a review? please provide link...

Hey. the sulphur content in all Indian diesel is 2%. 

Means it is not suitable for any Modern Diesel Vehicle as they require Diesel which contains Less than 0.035% Sulphur.

So I regularly use Iftex System D in our both Indigos (Indigo LS-May 2004=1' date='60,000+ kms and Indigo XL Grand Dicor-May 2007=71200+kms).

But still the noise of Dicor is unbearable. Now I am thinking of doubling the Dose of System D from 1ml/liter to 2ml/liter.

By the way. How is the Indigo XL Grand Dicor going??? Have you written a review? please provide link...

Well its great car. I LOVE this car no matter all of you ACI members curse the car.

The review can be seen at

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/autocar_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3610

@sudeepd: You are safe in assuming that Fuels sold in E-III cities (you can easily Google out the list) is E-III. E-II cities shall in general be at least E-II. Due do distribution reasons it is possible that some of these are also being supplied E-III at least occasionally.. There is no law against supplying a higher grade of fuel than legislated.

One small observation - when we went E-III Diesel suddenly became almost colourless from being blackish. Obviously the E-II to E-III change had a very visible effect!

I think you are also safe in assuming that the sulphur content is what is stated on the Bharat Stage II and III specs.

sgiitk2009-02-09 04:21:11