pryas

Crash Safety?

Well what do you all think about best crash safety car. in economical hatches-

Alto, Spark, WagonR, Santro, Indica, Palio stile , Zen Estilo.

in Premium Hatch    Swift , Getz prime , UVA

In sedans  - Indigo , Logan  ,Fiesta ,Aveo ,SX4 , Verna , City ZX  .

To me its

Palio they are known to set the highest in safety.

Swift -because it has strong chassie

Fiesta- It has strong build quality Sx4 is not that safe.

Rssh, SX4's platform is an evolved version of the Swift's.. So i dont think it would be right to say that its not very safe..

A small doubt: Do all the cars listed above have crumple zones? This is the most crucial factor for crash safety..

Yeah, the implementation does vary greatly from manufacturer to manufacturer.. i've just come to know that even having a single cross-member of softer steel in the engine bay qualifies as a crumple zone.. so that accounts for the gross variations in safety..

Rssh, SX4's platform is an evolved version of the Swift's.. So i dont think it would be right to say that its not very safe..

swift is safer in its segment but Fiesta is more better built

Dear Priya,

U seemed to be hell bent on crash worthiness, airbags and safety. First of all, we all should pray for to keep our cars out of harms way. In my daily prayers I pray for my family, myself, my home and my car in that order. In India, besides all the safety kit u need divine intervention for the car to be dent free. And look what happened to Diana and Dodi Fayed, they could not survive a crash in the best car in the world: an S class. If u really like to know, I think Hyundai Elantra is a safe car in it's price range, for the kit it has. It's the only car that has TCS, though, I don't use TCS much, 'cause it will increase the fuel consumption. Even the 2.4 iVTEC Accord doesn't have it. But should help if the surface becomes slippery. 

Dear Priya' date='

U seemed to be hell bent on crash worthiness, airbags and safety. First of all, we all should pray for to keep our cars out of harms way. In my daily prayers I pray for my family, myself, my home and my car in that order. In India, besides all the safety kit u need divine intervention for the car to be dent free. And look what happened to Diana and Dodi Fayed, they could not survive a crash in the best car in the world: an S class. If u really like to know, I think Hyundai Elantra is a safe car in it's price range, for the kit it has. It's the only car that has TCS, though, I don't use TCS much, 'cause it will increase the fuel consumption. Even the 2.4 iVTEC Accord doesn't have it. But should help if the surface becomes slippery. 
[/quote']

Let me Make one thing clear who is OUR FAMILY.All the Citizens from all over the Country include in Our family so we should Pray for ALL.

You can see the European (and other) safety ratings. Just make sure as to what are the standard fitments in the cars tested.

Also, airbags are great, but then you should not have young children and infants in the front seat. The number of toddlers I see in the front seats (or even worse standing on the front seats) makes me shudder.

Mr Tata said the Nano qualifies for crash test , but i still doubt , and i think the Indians should come up new crash testing , and should approve cars that is suitable for Indian conditions and should allow from 3 stars

Omni will be the frst one to fall out , followed by Versa, Ikon

I doubt the nano , hope they have strong impact beams , but if this was provided then how did they keep the production cost down????

Cheers!!!

There is an old thread on Crash testing Mandatory or something like that. The first casualties will , if I recall correctly, be the Omni, Ikon, Amby and Esteem.

Size of the car does not have much with crash worthiness. I remember seeing recently on the box where they crashed one of the Ford (?) SUVs against the Renault Espace. The latter came out tops by a mile!

Even today the Accent rates lower (2*) than the Alto (4*) in euro testing

I quote from my original post in Crash Testing Mandatory on the 18th September 2007. Should answer some questions about specific cars.

This is todays ET (web edition)

Maruti 800,

Esteem, Versa, Omni, Ford Ikon and the half-a-century-old Ambassador, in their

present form, are likely to fail the proposed crash tests. These together sell

around 2-2.2 lakh units annually, with the M800 selling the most