alok.shankar.m

degrading milage of swift diesel

hey i own a maruti swift diesel LDi brought in 2006 march

since i have brought it the performance and milage of the car has kept decreasing.now it giver about 11-14kplon the average even when i drive it smoothly, not accelerating or breaking too hard.

can someone suggest to me on how i can improve my cars milage

thank yousmiley1.gif

If the car was properly run-in and the periodic services are properly carried out, the engine normally should not give any trouble.

Any ways, average mileage of 11-14 is respectable for a swift. though you could get as high as 18kmpl on highways (without AC)

2 year old car means, you could also try adjusting the valves.

Dear Alok,

ITs really shocking ..

Get the car back to the Dealer and ask for its inspection. I am sure a proper inspection will fix the issue.

How about your driving style, do you excessively use clutch or drive on lower gear? since this may affect the mileage to a great extent.

hey i own a maruti swift diesel LDi brought in 2006 march

since i have brought it the performance and milage of the car has kept decreasing.now it giver about 11-14kplon the average even when i drive it smoothly' date=' not accelerating or breaking too hard.

can someone suggest to me on how i can improve my cars milage

thank yousmiley1.gif

[/quote']

1. Clean the Air Filter Element. Dirty Air will increase Fuel Consumption.

2. Check the PUC. By doing this you will know whether there is any problem with Engine or Fuel.

3. Dont carry unnecessary luggage in your car.

4. Check whether the tyre pressure is correct as per recommended by Maruti in all four tyres.

5. Check whether the brakes are dragging.

6.Change Engine Oil as per Maruti Recommendation. The interval must be followed strictly.

7. Drive at speeds below 70kph on highways.

8. Dont strain engine by running at higher rpm in low gears and vice-versa. Shift up gears as below

2nd-15kmph,3rd-25kmph,4th-45kmph,5th-60kmph.

9. Avoid Driving for distances less than 4-5kms.

How much your car has clocked?

Has all the service undertaken properly in time?

Driving pattern changes for most drivers when the car becomes old. We drive it with care, when it is new.

Traffic is increasing every day and it coud be a reason too.

Yes I second CC. on

"Driving pattern changes for most drivers when the car becomes old. We drive it with care, when it is new. Traffic is increasing every day and it coud be a reason too".

Drive the car as you drove when new.

Avoid shortcuts which are crowded. Instead take a little longer but less crowded route and see your car mileage will increase by around 25-30%.

Staying in higher gears doesn't result in higher fuel efficiency. Staying in higher gears at low speeds will actually result in poor efficiency. If the car is driven at relatively low RPM, you will give more throttle(diesel to the engine) resulting in less FE. Maintain in the region of 1.8k to 2.5k RPM, you may find the difference. Or try adopting difference driving techniques, do some researches yourself and you may find a sweet style which gains you more economy.

Always maintain some distance with the vehicles ahead of you. If they brake, you could just do with lifting off Accelerator and braking is not necessary for most occasions(If you maintain proper distance).

Remember low speeds at high RPM will give load to the engine and will result in less FE.

Happy Driving smiley1.gif

Remember low speeds at high RPM will give load to the engine and will result in less FE.

You mean to say Low Speeds in High Gears will give load to the engine and will result in less FE.

We own a Tata Indigo LS (May 2004) which has clocked 1,60,000+ kms.

On 31st Jan 2009, we went from Solapur (my city) to Shani-Shinganapur, then Shirdi, then Pune, then back to Solapur. All the time, the Air-Conditioner was ON (except in city areas because I dont like to travel with AC ON at low speeds). We travelled a total distance of more than 800kms.

Our Indigo returned Fuel Efficiency of around 19kmpl at speeds of 100-110kmph with AC ON. If I drive around 70kmph, the FE will be more than 24kmpl with AC OFF.

@sudeepd, Hope this makes you clear, staying in Lower RPM at higher gears. In this condition, if you accelerate, you'll press the pedal more resulting in more fuel loss. Instead shift one gear less, then accelerate.

I'm not talking about cruising. I'm talking about accelerating.

On the road, you hit brakes for something, then while accelerating most drivers will just floor the accelerator. This will make some vibration(jerk), then the car moves cleanly. But if you shift one gear down and accelerate, there is no need to floor the pedal, just light foot is enough. This happens mostly on speed brakers, people will never shift down and just move in 2nd.

Remember low speeds at high RPM will give load to the engine

@sudeepd' date=' Hope this makes you clear, staying in Lower RPM at higher gears.

[/quote']

CC, I corrected your mistake. First You posted Low Speeds at High RPM. Does this mean low speeds in high gear or low speeds in low gear. Infact Low RPM (below 1500RPM) in higher gear give load to the engine and not high rpm at low speed give load to the engine. When the Engine is at high rpm it will pull load without hesitating. That is why we need to downshift to ease the load off the engine and the engine may accelerate briskly.

In second post, you are trying to make me clear. In fact you have posted OPPOSITE matter in Post 2 as against Matter in Post 1.

In Post 1 you say Remember low speeds at high RPM will give load to the engine. This post is totally baseless. I really dont understand how can an engine will be stressed at high rpm and not at low rpm.

In post 2 you say downshift to accelerate better. This means when the speed decreases, we need to downshift. This in turn increases RPM (Downshifting increases RPM) and hence the car gains momentum again instead of stalling

So why did you say low speed at high rpm puts load on engine. See the below example=

When you accelerate from rest in 1st gear (high rpm) put more load on the engine or accelerating from rest in 2nd gear (low rpm) put more load on the engine? Driving at speed of 20 kph in 2nd gear (around 1200rpm) put more stress on engine or driving at 20kph in 3rd gear (below 1000rpm) put more stress on the engine?

sudeepd2009-02-03 12:54:50

CC, I gave my car's example just to tell Alok, that my car is so old

and has crossed 1,60,000+ kms and still gives around 19kmpl with AC.

I posted that my car gives 19kpl with AC at speeds of 100+kph.

but it gives more than 24kpl without AC at speeds of 70kph.

The reason behind this difference is Wind Resistance.

At speeds of 100+ kph, the air flowing against the car is more as compared to the air flowing against the car at speed of 70kph. So the Engine will have to consume more Fuel to oppose the air flowing against it and travel at speeds of 100+ kph as compared to the Fuel Required to oppose the air flowing against the car at speed of 70kph.

But his rule does not apply to DICOR Engines of TATA Motors Ltd.

We have another Indigo. Indigo XL Grand Dicor (May 2007) which has clocked 69,000+kms. I tried driving at speeds of 70kph and 110-120kph, respectively.

But this Dicor Engine consumes more Fuel at speed of 70kph (19kpl with AC) as compared to the Fuel consumed at speeds of 120kph (23kpl with AC).

sudeepd2009-02-03 13:06:04

You quoted my post and gave the example. You corrected my mistake and then gave the example. This naturally means that you are narrating something to me. That's why the confusion. There is no difference in both of my posts. they both give the same meaning. It states that don't drive at very low RPM. Very low RPM puts more load on the engine. Maintain a RPM at which the engine feels relaxed.

Yeah I made a mistake by stating "low speeds at high RPM", it should be "low speed at higher gears". I regret for the mistake.

It states that don't drive at very low RPM. Very low RPM puts more load on the engine. Maintain a RPM at which the engine feels relaxed.

I also meant to say this only.

Yeah I made a mistake by stating "low speeds at high RPM"' date=' it should be "low speed at higher gears". I regret for the mistake.[/quote']

Good to see you got it correctly.

I posted that my car gives 19kpl with AC at speeds of 100+kph.

but it gives more than 24kpl without AC at speeds of 70kph.

The reason behind this difference is Wind Resistance.

At speeds of 100+ kph' date=' the air flowing against the car is more as compared to the air flowing against the car at speed of 70kph. So the Engine will have to consume more Fuel to oppose the air flowing against it and travel at speeds of 100+ kph as compared to the Fuel Required to oppose the air flowing against the car at speed of 70kph.

But his rule does not apply to DICOR Engines of TATA Motors Ltd.

We have another Indigo. Indigo XL Grand Dicor (May 2007) which has clocked 69,000+kms. I tried driving at speeds of 70kph and 110-120kph, respectively.

But this Dicor Engine consumes more Fuel at speed of 70kph (19kpl with AC) as compared to the Fuel consumed at speeds of 120kph (23kpl with AC).

[/quote']

Can someone tell me why there is such a difference in the behaviour of a Normal Turbocharged Diesel Engine and Direct Injection Common Rail Turbocharged Diesel Engine?

Normal Turbocharged Diesel gives more Mileage at speed of 70kph than at speed of 110-120kph.

But Common Rail Turbocharged Diesel Engine gives more mileage at speeds of 110-120kph than at speed of 70kph.

Please clear my doubt.

That depends on various factors. No. of gear shifts, traffic, driving pattern, etc.. and also both engines are different. The DICOR is completely new, it might be designed to run well at those speeds.

That depends on various factors. No. of gear shifts' date=' traffic, driving pattern, etc.. and also both engines are different.

[/quote']

I drove both the Indigos (Indigo LS and Indigo XL Grand Dicor) on same part of road for similar distance at 70 kph. with AC OFF.

In fact I drove Indigo LS with Windows ROLLED DOWN (This Will Increase Wind Resistance and give less Mileage). Still it returned me 24+ kpl.

But I drove Indigo XL Grand Dicor with Windows ROLLED UP (This Will Decrease Wind Resistance and give more Mileage). Still it returned me 19 kpl.

The DICOR is completely new' date=' it might be designed to run well at those speeds.[/quote']

But the Owner's Manual of Indigo XL Grand Dicor Recommends to drive at below 80 kph in 5th Gear to get Maximum Fuel Efficiency.

But I get Maximum Fuel Efficiency at speeds of 110-120pkh.

How is that?

You said Indigo LS returns less FE while driving at 110-120 than at 70(1st post). That's because you have rolled the windows down(2nd post).

As you rolled up you DICOR's window, it returns better FE at 110-120.

There are some mismatch between both your posts. Please correct them.

CC, I said I drove both the cars at speed of 70kph on same road for similar distance.

Means I drove Indigo LS at speed of 70kph with windows Rolled Down. It gave me 24+ kpl.

I drove Dicor Indigo XL at speed of 70 kph with windows Rolled Up (I did not Turn ON AC in spite of windows Up). It gave me 19 kpl.

How this can happen?

One more point I said Dicor returns around 24kpl at speeds of 110-120 kph (With AC)

while Indigo LS returns around 19kpl at speeds of 100-110kph (With AC).

Here I agree that Dicor Indigo XL is modern as compared to Indigo LS. Hence at speeds of around 110kph, Dicor gives more mileage than LS.

But at speed of 70kph, how can old Indigo LS give more mileage than Modern Dicor Indigo XL?

Now Please clear my doubt.

sudeepd2009-02-04 11:36:22

Did you take all these tests at the same time?

Was the traffic same?

Does the no. of passengers same in all tests?

It can also be like LS' engine's(may be slow speed) sweet spot may be around 70kph and Dicor's(may be high speed) may be around 110kph.

On 29th Jan 2009, I drove Indigo LS. We were in all three passengers.

I was driving. So excluding me there were two other persons.

On 30th Jan 2009, I drove Dicor Indigo XL. We were in all two passengers.

I was driving. So excluding me there was only one person. This other person had come with me on earlier day also (i.e.29th Jan).

So on 30th, Dicor Indigo XL had to carry one person less as compared to Indigo LS on 29th.

The traffic was also identical.

It can also be like LS' engine's(may be slow speed) sweet spot may be

around 70kph and Dicor's(may be high speed) may be around 110kph.

AGAIN I REPEAT MY WORDS.

I INTENTIONALLY HAD KEPT THE SPEED OF DICOR INDIGO XL AND INDIGO LS BELOW 75KPH. TO CHECK THE MILEAGE AND COMPARE IT WITH EACH OTHER.

sudeepd2009-02-04 12:14:09