sudeepd

Lubricants Questionarie

Anijog,

you know Mobil is World Class Lubricants Company.

I was thinking if their oil can provide me with More Drain interval, its better to use them. I know they are costly but if they justify this with higher drain interval, I will go with them.

Period.

Anyways can someone Please tell me which Specification Oil should be used for

E-II and E-III Diesel Cars.

CF4 or CG4 or CH4?

Which is recommended by You Experts?

As mentioned above we have Indigo LS TDi (E-II) and Indigo XL

DiCOR (E-III). Which of the following Engine Oil should be used in them

CF4, CG4, CH4?

I have read that if Diesel with 0.05% Sulphur and 0.035% Sulphur is used in BS-II and BS-III Diesel Vehicles, respectively, the Drain Interval of Engine Oil gets reduced.

What is the effect of Sulphur on Engine Oil Drain Interval?

Also what are the precautions which should be taken if Diesel with more than 0.05% and 0.035% Sulphur is to be filled (since we cannot assure about the Sulphur %age at Fuel Filling Stations) in BS-II and BS-III Diesel Vehicles, apart from Less Drain Interval?sudeepd2009-08-05 12:14:40

Today for petrol engines there are only three valid grades as per API. They are API-SJ (obsolescent), API-SL and API-SM. Diesel oils are Cx and higher the x the superior the oil. We are up to CJ-4.

I was shocked to find that the Servo MGO is only SC! SL caters for Mineral Oils, while SM is primarily for semi- and full synthetics. I have seem a mineral (Petronas Mach5) which is SM! Whatever you use it should be equal or superior to the specs.

Personally, as long as the oil is API-SL or higher I do not care.

As for the grade for a car it depends also on the sophistication of the engine. By and large all modern petrol engines should (Honda are you listening) be happy with 10,000km / once a year (whichever is earlier). Diesels can be bit more finicky. During the warranty period stick with the recommendations.

Added: Jsut checked the API list. For diesels the currently valid grades are CF, CF-2, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4 and CJ-4.

sgiitk2009-08-06 05:13:19

@sgiitk

But my question is still unanswered.

My Post goes this way--

I have read that if Diesel with 0.05% Sulphur and 0.035% Sulphur is

used in BS-II and BS-III Diesel Vehicles, respectively, the Drain

Interval of Engine Oil gets reduced.

What is the effect of Sulphur on Engine Oil Drain Interval?

Also what are the precautions which should be taken if Diesel with

more than 0.05% and 0.035% Sulphur is to be filled (since we cannot

assure about the Sulphur %age at Fuel Filling Stations) in BS-II and

BS-III Diesel Vehicles, apart from Less Drain Interval?

Please answer the above Queries if you don't mind.

Thanks in advance.

sudeepd2009-08-06 08:17:27

Higher sulphur should result in more particulate matter. This will be present in both the exhaust as well as the engine. I suspect the drain intervals are specified with this in mind.

In any case it is a matter of a few more months since BS-II will be dead wef 1 April 2010, when everything will be BS-III or BS-IV.

I am only making an educated guess since I am a confirmed Petrol wallah.

sgiitk2009-08-06 10:35:07

Higher sulphur should result in more particulate matter. This will be present in both the exhaust as well as the engine. I suspect the drain intervals are specified with this in mind.

The Owner's Manual of BS-II Diesel Indigo recommends to replace the Engine Oil every 7' date='500kms and there is a note as below--

Engine oil and oil filter should be changed earlier if

the vehicle is operated under conditions such as in sandy/dusty conditions, short distance driving, extensive idling or in regions where sulphur content in diesel is very high (>0.05%).

That means if the Diesel with more Sulphur content is used, the Interval will reduce. I will Replace the Engine Oil every 6,000kms henceforth.

The Owner's Manual of BS-III DiCOR Indigo recommends to replace the same every 10,000kms and there is a note as below--

Engine oil and oil filter should be changed earlier if the vehicle is operated under conditions such as in sandy/dusty conditions, short distance driving, extensive idling or in regions where sulphur content in diesel is very high (>0.035%).

That means if the Diesel with more Sulphur content is used, the

Interval will reduce. I will Replace the Engine Oil every 8,500kms

henceforth

In any case it is a matter of a few more months since BS-II will be dead wef 1 April 2010, when everything will be BS-III or BS-IV.

One cannot assure about the Quality of Fuel available at Fuel Filling Stations. It is a Puzzle to find out whether the Fuel we are filling is Really BS-II/BS-III in the respective cities.smiley24.gif I doubt some filling stations may even be selling BS-I Quality Fuel in BS-III Cities.

THIS IS INDIA. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN AND SOLD HERE WITHOUT MUCH HASSLES.smiley7.gifsmiley3.gifsudeepd2009-08-07 08:23:51

You are free to do what you like. I will not change my interval on a hunch. I have used a certain regime since 1979 (at least) and have no reasons to regret.

As for the quality of fuel, in most cities the good pumps are known or can be ascertained by talking to the people. One can get taken for a ride occasionally - happened to me recently with Premium Petrol. By the amount filled I am sure the meter was running somewhat fast, also the economy has dropped so may be the petrol was adulterated. I am not going there again! I am quite happy with the other two pumps I patronise.

Avoid fuel on the highway, though often busy pumps just on the outskirts of cities are Ok. In general if a pump has plenty of custom it should be Ok.