archit

Why 800???

I have noticed that that there is some amount of car thefts going on India!!

I have also noticed that most of the unfortunTe vehicles are the Maruti 800!!

Why do thieves only aim at the 800??

Ohh you are mistaken Archit. The Maruti 800, though extremely easy to break into(i have broken into my own car when my mom forgot to take the keys out of the ignition and locked the door by mistake), is not the most stolen car in India. I believe that honor would go to the Scorpio. Also, an SUV/MUV is a batter target for theives as there are a lot of buyers for these bigger cars in small rural districts of states like Bihar, Jharkhand,etc.

@archit: Ease of breaking in, anonymity, and demand all come into the picture. Also, I hear that dismantling for spares is also big business, esp. for 2-wheelers.

Take an exotic car and leave it with the keys in the ignition, the most that is likely to happen is that some fellow will pinch it for a joy ride and then abandon it. He has no resale potential for it.

Archit, well its not just for 800... any cars and mostly muv/suv segments is seen higher rate then with sedans and hatchbacks. I know in east i.e kolkatta, the most number of stolen vehicles is hero honda splendour and bajaj pulsars for their engines used on small boats and ferries..

The 800 is as common as the Bajaj Super of the 1980's and 1990's and hence anonymity reigns supreme.If an 800 is stolen it will take lots of efforts to trace it out, if ever.They attract the most buyers in the second hand car market.

Mostly only small cars are stolen in Metro Cities and sold in Rural Markets as small cars are easy to sell compared to Luxury Cars like BMW, Mercedes-Benz,etc.

No person will dare to buy a Big Car without Original Papers. Small Cars dont grab much attention. So small cars are stolen most.

Mostly only small cars are stolen in Metro Cities and sold in Rural Markets as small cars are easy to sell compared to Luxury Cars like BMW' date=' Mercedes-Benz,etc.?No person will dare to buy a Big Car without Original Papers. Small Cars dont grab much attention. So small cars are stolen most.[/quote']

This is exactly is my point too. And also there are pleanty of 800s on-road. 800 can find buyers easily in second hand market. So it is easy to sell these stolen cars too.