anjan_c2007

Booked Dzire CANCELLED: Now Scorpio LX!

Car rattling in India is a given. With such poor road condition's even the a luxury marc can't escape this. It all boil's down to the compliance of the suspension and profile of the side walls and the thickness of the antiroll bar's and the speed's your able to carry. In the city' date=' the speed is restricted, but on the highway it make's a big difference as the speed's rise the ride improve's. 'If the car rattle's; then pump up the volume'. Also help's if the tyre pressure is reduced say some 2psi than the ideal, for the ride to improve; if the road's are real poor.[/quote']

For Indian roads. Tata cars do the job best.

Today I cancelled the DZire booking with a local dealer. The  salesman took my application for cancellation (booked 28/01/09) and spoke quite decently assuring me the best of their services as and when needed. Was quite happy as they also have terms and conditions to refund the full booking amount without any cancellation fees.The delivery of the car would have been due in another week or so.

Now have booked one  Scorpio LX  yesterday (with MHawk engine) after cancelling the DZire ZDi booking. I phoned the

Mahindra salesman and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the MHawk engine

comes in almost all Scorpio variants but for the M2DI. The MHawk engine of

2149 cc has been much to my liking since it was launched. And Mahindra is in my genes having been with all sorts of jeeps since a long time. Incidentally the 2.6 CRDe engine is now only for the Xylo (indeed 2.5 L in the Xylo ) and the Scorpios have the MHawk  in all the versions.And the DI engines power the cheapest, base model Scorpios only.

So since the

LX fitted my budget, I booked one and expect the  SUV  to reach here by 15th

April 09.The LX has dual AC with heater, PW, tilt steering,ski rack,spoiler 2 mobile charging points,tubeless tyres central locking,engine immobiliser, fabric interiors.The colour opted for is mist silver.

anjan_c20072009-03-28 08:45:01

Thanks archit, sparshq and DD!

sparshq I drove the DZire a few times other than the first test drive. Actually the Mahindra range was first on my list, but since I have been using Marutis I have developed some brand loyalty. The Xylo had a three to four month waiting list.I liked it during the test drive.But the waiting list made me think about sour grapes.

And the killer news came as a call from the Mahindra salesman, who said that for my budget they had a MHawk powered variant. So that's what made me switch over.

Yes DD the pictures will all appear on day one!

anjan_c20072009-03-28 13:46:37

Congratulation Anjan, you've chosen a good vehicle & much more exciting than Dzire!

Overall LX is a fairly loaded model except for the absence of side cladding, which I do feel imparts a better look & protection from bruises.

Thanks speed. Yes though the SUV has many goodies the cladding are not there. And you know the dealer gave an estimate of Rs 39,000=00 for fitting painted claddings. I then found the price just Rs 70,000 short of the SLE version which costs Rs 9 L and offers many other goodies too. These claddings were not found with accessory dealers.

Why have you changed your decision anjan? I read your answer for this before but Scorpio returns less FE, big in size, poor ride and handling, poor stability, high spares cost(Check March ACI's spares survey). Other than the looks and powerful engine, i don't find anything good in Scorpio. And also next Gen Scorpio should be out by 2010 or so.

Valid points CC quoted by you, but I had loved to own a Scorpio since long. Every time it was eluding me. The CRDe came and later the MHawk.So there was no point in going for the CRDe as on date and when I got the news that the MHawk is within my budget I took the plunge.As regards the FE this engine delivers about 11kmpl (city) and above 13 (highway)

Will have to get used to its bad points sooner or later.

Welcome Anjan, ~ 40k for side cladding is hefty! You are right, then SLE falls within striking distance.

I was once going to go in for Scorpio LX, but a friend of mine cautioned me that the omission of side cladding bestows it a Taxi image, so get ready to stop frequently at check points! I had a choice to choose higher version instead, but the hike in price took it in the vicinity of other superior vehicles, so I resisted.

Maybe one can get a set from scrap dealers, but many a times one doesn't want to fix old things on new vehicle.

Anjan, ekebare perfect? Dzire ZDi is a good value for money package but there are huge waiting periods and the car's fit and finish is not as good and strong as a ford ikon tdci, logan diesel. ya you get lots of features but the car has problems with body rattles, dreary cramped rear seats, less headroom and legrom space compared to logan and ford Ikon TDCi which incidentally has the best rear seat in its class and has a the superbly competent 1.4 TDCi unit under its hood along with significant drop in the cost of maintenance.Ask Autocar Anything suggested me to go for new Ford IkOn TDCi over the Swift DzireVdi when i asked them what disel car to buy within Rs 6.50 lakh budget.. ya plus Dzire is a very common car especially the VDi and ZDi. Anyways the New Scorpio with the brilliant 2.2 M-Hawk engine is a very reliable and competent SUV. nothing comes close to Scorpio sheer driving pleasure and imposing stance..My family owns a 2006 Type 2 Scorpio SLx 2.6 CRDe. it has clocked 40,000km in the odo, but still it drives like as if its all new, no lethargy from engine and can be driven spiritedly. the M-hawk will be more spirited to drive due to less kerb weight compared to my 2.6 Slx CRDe. reagrding fuel efficiency its not as efficient as Dzire ZDi due to massive mass, kerb weight, less aerodynamic body but it still is acceptible and more effiecient than Tata Safari 2.2 VTT Dicor. My 2.6 SLX CRDe returns 11km/pl in city( a/c all time) and 13.5km/pl(highway). overall 12km/pl. which is great considering its size, weight. the M-hawk will be more efficient than 2.6CRDe.

Anjan, did the dealership say anything about price rise from April? Im asking as timely booking by you may have saved some bucks!

Also, the topic heading needs editing to "Scorpio booked"!

Congrats Anjan on your booking The Mighty muscular Scorpio, the new one really looks good and has better M-hawk engine in all variants, and Mist silver color is i like the most in Mhawk range...

Looking at your decision, it seems that you were not particular about Sedan, Muv or Suv while buying, i think you just needed a diesel with driveability and obviously at your given budget..

Good choice made, Dzire is the car that i dont like at all..

speed thanks for the suggestion and Ha Ha for the taxi image it naturally bestows upon the SUV. For those claddings it would also be preferable to drive to Delhi, get some good ones fitted and return back. I will do some more market survey to get quality ones for a decent price say upto Rs 20 K or so.

The price rise was not at all hinted by the dealer. They have only a few weeks back introduced the revamped Scorpio with price cuts ranging from Rs 74 K to Rs 1.22 K. So maybe they don't increase the prices.

swiftvxi thanks and soothing to hear that your Scorpio is still in the best condition.Yes the DZire is Ok, economical has a lot of safety features but I was also feeling that its insecure for long distances.And I think for Kolkata traffic the heir apparent for the mighty Ambassador is either the Scorpio/Xylo/Bolero or the Tata Safari/Sumo. The smaller cars look vulnerable in that kind of traffic.

bluesapphire thanks.Yes indeed I needed a diesel which would also be secure for long distances. My budget was quite important.And Mahindra is in my genes as I had these around me since a long ,long time-even learnt to drive in one.

anjan_c20072009-03-29 07:50:54

anjan, congrats on your scorpio's buy, looking forward to hear more from you after its delivered, yes the SLE and LX does seems confusing with that difference, but i feel side cladding is important in this suv and also you would get ABS in SLE version, as have heard that after market fitting is not good, and this huge monster is better equipped with abs.Keep updating.

anjan' date=' congrats on your scorpio's buy, looking forward to hear more from you after its delivered, yes the SLE and LX does seems confusing with that difference, but i feel side cladding is important in this suv and also you would get ABS in SLE version, as have heard that after market fitting is not good, and this huge monster is better equipped with abs.Keep updating.[/quote']

Thanks Vijay. Yes, I am always getting tempted to go for the SLE but  I also want to stick to my budget.Will keep you posted here.

Hi anjan, congrats on ur decision to go ahead with the scorpio. Iam sure it will give you many years of reliable and thoroughly enjoyable ownership experience. 

I have decided to upgrade to a scorpio myself. I currently drive a wagon -r. However, its still a few months before i lay my hands on one as i need to get my finances and a couple of more issues in order.

I am still to decide between the Lx and SLE. Except for ABS, i dont think that the other gizmos in SLE  really add up to too much. And by saving all that extra money, the Lx can be done up in a realy nce way wth some good ice, alloys, seat covers etc.

Havent been able to spot an Lx in any showroom though. have u seen one? In case u have some info on the kind / colour / fabric of interiors, the dash etc, do let me know. also the middle row leg space since it doesnt have sliding seats.

and of course, i would request you to put up detailed pics of ur vehicles exteriors / ineteriors as soon as u get the deivery.

Cheers and all the best.

Yes vijay budget is quite important with no loans for me -its self financed!

chau_s79 welcome you to the family of Scorpio(n)s. Hope you will join soon. The LX only needs the factory fitted claddings (if one prefers these) and the ABS which is a life saver. I too concur with you on the point that the other gizmos in the SLE are'nt that essential.

There were two LX 's in the showroom I went to. And one had the showroom fitted claddings with the silver paint job waiting for its new owner. The other was a  freshly out of the factory example. The LX comes in the  Rocky beige, Mist silver, Fiery black and perhaps the metallic red colour. I will post exact details soon. Only from the SLE range onwards, the white shade comes along.

I will post pictures as soon as the SUV is mine.

Hope you too join us soon!

A Scorpio LX (not a mHawk and with the new facelift) from teambhp. The bonnet scoop is prominent,its fitted with alloys from Aura,the foglamps are round as opposed to the new triangular shape (only in the SLE and above) and the colour is Rocky Beige.

tmp2490.jpg

anjan_c20072009-04-02 18:22:03