anjan_c2007

Booked Dzire CANCELLED: Now Scorpio LX!

Did not know that since Tata Passenger Cars have First Free Service Scheduled at 1000kms. So thought it must be common to all manufacturers who sell cars in India.

Note- No offense intended.

I feel mighty from that great height and behind the wheel of the truck like thing' date=' without the rear loaded. [/quote']

Hi Anjan..How is the ride comfort in Scorpio? How does it do on bad roads? Is the ride better than dzire?

Come on dude, the ride is way better than the Dzire. Just have been around in a couple of Scorpios in Bihar and the overall refinement and ride comfort is way better than the Dzire. Although the legroom of the Scorpio is not really good for an SUV.

That is good news. I thought Scorpio will have less of a cushioned ride feel compared to the sedans. What position will Scorpio stand if we rank it among SX4, Fiesta, Verna, Linea in terms of ride comfort.

I just read in another post that Scorpio is not good for 100+ speeds on highways. Is it the same for the 2009 version? Have they improved the stability?

No there is still some body roll in Scorpio but the stability has definitely been improved over the previous version.

I shall rank the cars on basis of ride comfort-

Linea

Fiesta

Verna

Scorpio

SX4

I think Dzire is more comfortable than the Scorpio, though the new Scorpio is somewhat improved but there are limitations of high chassis.

Out of the list, I would rate Fiesta high because it has a good blend of ride & handling. Verna follows with its soft setup then comes SX4 with its massive wheels & finally Linea followed by Scorpio.

Speed

I would disagree with you on your ride rating of SX4.

It has a worse ride and the poorest on a sedan ever.

Probably because of huge ground clearance and massive tyres.

Hey Anjan, congratulations on your new car!! I don't know how I missed out on this thread after you bought the Scorpio. Anyways, so you got an all Blaupunkt ICE and from your posts you seem to be enjoying the sound. A small correction though, the THc 693 are not component speakers just 3 way 6x9.

and THc 693 Triaxial 6"X 9" 280W component speakers with wooden box enclosures on the rear.The overall output is quite cool. 

The rainy weather drives have been quite thrilling on the Brute SUV for me.The wiper's have a very well calculated sweep area on the windshield, which nearly cleans the whole surface area to add to the joy of driving.
The wet roads must prompt me, the driver to be extremely cautious as its a SUV and not a car.The high ground clearance must be given credence or else, like the many truckwallahs, if the driver goes about with wantonness the mechanical thing on wheels can topple,Tauba! Tauba! More so on wet roads, when the tyres have lessened grips on the road surface.So the aggressive driving is a "no no" especially during the wet spells. The fact that I am well cocooned inside its tank like build quality gives me all the confidence.
And the worst thing about the monsoons- the exteriors get dirty and have to be pampered a lot. The letdown is when I thoroughly clean it bright and shining ,then come the next rainy spell, maybe within a few hours again MUDDIFIES the SUV.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thats awful but thats life with any motor vehicle and has got to go on in cycles.

Not only the exteriors,the interiors also get mud, filth and all the monsoon dirt especially on the floors.But the Scorpio has a continuously flat floor continuing till the door edge and cleaning it with a brush is a breeze.The dirt, pebbles, mud and all that can be brushed with just a little effort to get the floor matting sparkling clean. The pictures will illustrate what I mean:

157101d1247237726-my-new-refreshed-scorp

Dirt-filled mat with the saviour brush by its side waiting for the sweep.

157102d1247237726-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The cleaned mat devoid hopefully (I'm not a professional cleaner) of all the dirt.all the dirt.

The Refreshing job perhaps took the better of the designers engaged for it. These designers were too busy with the frontal looks, the redesigned headlights, bumpers, bonnet cowl, new fog lamps and all other refreshed goodies.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

They were then too tired perhaps till they reached the last item on their agenda for refreshing-the blessed exhaust tailpipe. And look at what they have done. The older, straight conventional tailpipe was bent at an angle. So far so good. Everything thats straight bends one day or the other or everything thats bent may become straight one day! But just see how it was sliced off. This was on their computer monitors perhaps when the designers were feeling too drowsy. The end portion is quite sharp and can pierce anything that comes its way. This is quite contrary to today's smooth edged and non protruding design lines conforming to the jelly bean shapes.
Can only imagine someone reversing his Refreshed Scorpio that may sometime go out of control and injure someone with this sharp edge.

160905d1248015444-my-new-refreshed-scorp

160906d1248015444-my-new-refreshed-scorpeanwhile Meanwhile,  I am enjoying the drives on my Brute SUV at its best- soon due for

due for the first service.

anjan_c20072009-07-19 18:25:23

The Scorpio is performing its duty quite well for me and driving it is a pleasure. The engine and gearbox have become acclimatised lately and are maturing from the earlier "hard to operate" new feeling.The horn button is and will remain hard perhaps.Becomes a pain to operate at times in crowded places. It has to be pressed hard for the "horny sound". I wonder how people with some signs of Parkinsons or pain on the hand or even some feeble paralysis may feel, while operating this horn.

Meanwhile I did some DIY bits on the SUV today. Suddenly on the evening of 27th July there was some screeching noise of metal emanating from the front right wheel. Wondered what it could be? Was also scared so did'nt use the SUV yesterday at all. Today early morning, I tried to take it out of the garage but again the same metallic noise as and when the wheel moved fore or aft.

I traced it to the disc of the brake on the wheel drum and heard it again and again to confirm.

I had to forego my early morning jog and excercises. Loosened the bolts, jacked up the 1800 Kg Golaith and opened the wheel. The disc came out fully exposed. Moved the disc round and round. Its a rear wheel drive and the front wheels are free just like that!

To my utter horror, I found the thin metal dish that protects the wheel drum towards the axle, a bit kinked and rubbing with the hard brake disc.I am still curious to know what caused the kink to happen?Thats a great mystery as neither I had driven on any hard terrain nor did I do anything to damage the metal.

With some cajoling with the help of a heavy duty plier, the metal disc 9not the brake disc but the one protecting the wheel drum) returned back to normal and the kink went away. The noise was gone.Actually the metal is quite thin, with a lesser guage and can bent just like that. Or else, how could some simple manouvres with a plier straighten it? Quite a revelation, I feel! Need more feedbacks.

And some points about the jack and the tool needed to operate it. The jack is telescopic and has a long rod to lengthen it or the vice versa. The wheel bolt spanner also called the Tony bar has a slotted hole which fits with the end of the long rod. This whole assembly is operated to lift up the SUV. Now again I was horrified with the sight of the point on the SUV's body where the jack has to be slotted. Thats just behind the front mudguard and is the nut/bolt of the body bolted with the ladder frame chassis.Below this nut/bolt the jack is slotted. I find it extremely risky if the ground is uneven, as the SUV can simply slip and fall, injuring the men at work. Really miss the old Ambassador/Landmaster/ Fiat rectangular slots on the underbody, that used to snugly fit the jack!

166957d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The wheel disc

166958d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The kink to the right of the disc brake

166959d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

Dirt on the inner of the front bumper

166960d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

Rust on the axle end

166961d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The telescopic jack

166962d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The risky jacking point on the underbody

166963d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

Full view of the wheel drum assembly

166964d1248878584-my-new-refreshed-scorp

The inner of the front mudguard- The lower end is well protected with thickening plastic (of questionable quality??)

Durango Dude and Cyrus- thanks a lot for having the patience to read all that stuff I posted, about my early morning ordeal and tete a tete with the SUV . Alas could rectify the fault!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

DD I really felt like what could have gone wrong in that SUV which I did not abuse at all?

Yes Cyrus the good old Landmaster jack was very much around but had the desire to try out the new one for the first time.

anjan_c20072009-07-29 18:35:46

@Anjan: Could be a pebble got between the metal sleeve and the Disc, any how its been pouring there in Mumbai and roads must be like the lunar surface, probably celebrating the 40th aniiv of the 'Man on the Moon'. Alls well that ends well.Durango Dude2009-07-29 18:43:47

@Anjan: Could be a pebble got between the metal sleeve and the Disc' date=' any how its been pouring there in Mumbai and roads must be like the lunar surface, probably celebrating the 40th aniiv of the 'Man on the Moon'. Alls well that ends well.[/quote']

smiley1.gif That sure might have been a possibility.

There's a post with pictures here showing my concern over the fact that within two or three months the grayish black plastics have got faded and look cheap and crap like stuff. My concern was addressed by a teambhpian here who suggested application of a good plastic polish. Thanks to him! He is raj_5004 who is also a ACI forum member!
Last weekend I applied a reputed brand of plastic and vinyl polish and preservative, over the black plastics on the exterior and interior- bumpers, door handles, grille, wheel covers and interior on the dash and plastic bins, inner door handles and vow the results!
The shine is back like new and even better than new on all the unpainted plastic components. The Scorpio has got back its gleaming looks. And for the pictures- will post them in a few days time!
But the message now is that I will have to give repeated applications of this polish and preservative every few months.
Meanwhile after completing the running in period of the Brute SUV, the turbo lag at 1500-2000 rpm seems to have nearly disappeared. The turbo lag was very, very imminent in the earlier days, with me driving alone and the SUV empty whenever I touched the 1500-2000 rpm mark. Just today, with five passengers seated while engaging the fifth gear while driving below 40kmph the turbo lag and the hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm was audible making its come back after a long gap of time. I changed over to the fourth and it was gone. The turbo lag is a once in a while feature these days, in such situations.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

173457d1250081333-my-new-refreshed-scorp

173460d1250081333-my-new-refreshed-scorp

173461d1250081333-my-new-refreshed-scorp

173459d1250081333-my-new-refreshed-scorp

So my dear Brute SUV has had its First Free Service at the local Mahindra A.S.S.. I was in touch with the service representative since the past few days and he had assured me that the SUV will be serviced by 12.30 pm if I hand it over to them by 9.30 am ( i.e. within three hours).But I would have to inform him a day in advance.
Today is a festival day- Ganesh Immersion day (Anant Chaturdashi) here and despite some workers being on leave I had called the service representative yesterday. He had assured me that the three hour delivery schedule is committed!
So after all the hassles of day to day and office life, I decided to take a day off today and stay put wiith my Brute SUV all through its service schedule (Red Liner Thanks - coz you said never leave the SUV alone and stick to it all through). I did it!
The problems listed were (1) two minor 1.5 cm scratches on the front right fender - a PDI recorded untoward feature.
(2) the fuel guage showing excess of 20-25 litres of diesel.
(3) routine checks of all nuts and bolts-most of them are jumbo sized but smaller than that of a rail engine's.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

(4) change of oil viz. engine, gear and differential
(5) air checking of the stepney, as that has eluded me since day one. The stepney is quite secretly mounted (KGB style???) and has to be dismantled for an air check.
(6) fitting fog lamps of the REFRESHED Scorpio (new shape) on the front bumpers.
I handed over my prized possession for the job and was seated at the customer lounge, which has a huge window for surveillance by the owner's of the Mahindra's undergoing servicing in the workshop down below.
The customer lounge is quite well equipped with a FS TV, DVD/VCD player, AC , good sofas but is not quite well maintained. It lacks cleanliness. I viewed "Lage Raho Munnabhai" for the 2nd time and there's no doubt that this film will turn out to be a real classic decades later - can view it n number of times.
Now for the service instructions given by me:
The points listed in sl nos (3), (4) and (5) were done up. Coming to sl.No., (1) buffing made them outwit one scratch and as the other one was deep they just could'nt do it ( as opposed to JUST DO IT)- procrastinated and kept it for the next time, when I should get the bumpers, grille, number plate light and door handles body coloured. The sl.no. (2) listed problem was a figment of my deep imagination and they said to my utter joy that the diesel tank indeed has that much fuel! About a tankful ! And in these days of rising fuel prices thats a bonus ! 20 to 25 litres extra in your tank! Guess the
<?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Middle East is only too happy with you and your Brute SUV. Bless them all!
And the fog lamps- they still remain an illusion for me as very few of these come along to the A.S.S.They have the old rounded Scorpio lamps but not the Refreshed trapezoidal (or what other shape?) ones. I have been wanting to get these fitted since the past four months.
Lastly, I was only too happy with the dealer otherwise, as I was charged only for the oils (Mahindra Maximile from IOC) viz.engine, gear and differential and the oil filter, all costing some Rs 2048 (incl VAT).No other added problems for fleecing of my pocket were visible on any count by the dealer.The SUV was delivered by 1.30 pm - nearly an hour late, but thats no irritant for me.At least I could sit through and get the thing done- "Lage Raho Anjan Bhai"!
And M&M have handed over a questionnaire to me, to tell them about my satisfaction level with the 1st service. I have listed the points telling them about the waiting lounge and the fog lamps to "Refreshen" the folks at the
Mahindra Towers, Worli, Mumbai.
Only one SUV owner was sighted at the waiting lounge alongwith me, but the rest were chauffeurs - some 7 or 8 of them.
Reminded of the older Tata (Telco) showrooms where truck drivers used to spend time and so Tata Motors sliced away the truck dealerships from their car dealerships in 1999/2000, when the Indica came along. Even the 207 DI (Tatamobile is gone to the truck dealership).
My dear, gleaming Brute SUV after the service

184738d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

184739d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

184740d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

184741d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

184742d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

184743d1251988179-my-new-refreshed-scorp

Speed

i agree with you totally sparshq

@anjan

The car is looking very nice, but somehow i dont like the black grille and body coloured bumpers. Get them coloured and then it would be perfect. I have seen many Xylos with modified grille, so there should be some for scorpio too. Try getting them

Speed

i agree with you totally sparshq

i also agree with u. speed is wrong!!