SADASHIVAKAMATH

advatages & disadvantages of tubeless tyres

Go for Michlein summit.

Actually he is having tubeless tyres in his Spark LS and that his MRF and he is aksing us How good is it coz the Lower end models of Spark has got Apolo and this exactly shows that MRF is better than Apolo and i think there will be no need to change your MRF tubeless tyres

Cheerssmiley20.gif
mndvishnu2007-11-25 19:17:34

Is mounting tubeless on new Steel/OE rims safe ?

Do I need to maintain same tyre pressure as my tubed ones ? (size if unchanged)

Do tubeless tyres improve efficiency ? (both braking and fuel)

Will there be any change in steering effort if we switch to tubeless ? (non PS cars)

Is mounting tubeless on new Steel/OE rims safe ?

No issues' date=' as long as the rims are not damaged. I mounted Turanza's on my five year old Santro a few months back.

Do I need to maintain same tyre pressure as my tubed ones ? (size if unchanged)

Normally there is no change.

Do tubeless tyres improve efficiency ? (both braking and fuel)

They run cooler' date=' have less internal friction so should improve consumption marginally typically <5%.

Will there be any change in steering effort if we switch to tubeless ? (non PS cars)

Depends more on the tyres!

sgiitk2010-08-13 08:22:17

I find the tyre repair walla's ripping of the tubed variety by blindly advising a tube change and charging around Rs.400 for the tyre tube. Whereas for tube less they charge 150 for the repair of the puncture. So the dictum that repair cost for the tubeless tyre is high doesn't actually hold good. 

@DD: You have indirectly brought up a point. With tubeless you are better off with repairers where they do not take  tyres off the wheels.

If you are at all technically inclined you can but a kit for about Rs.700 and keep it with you. Then it is a DIY job.

Also, tubeless is safer since normally it deflates slowly in a puncture.  I have myself done quite a few miles with nails in my tyres after inflating them once or twice along the way.

sgiitk2010-08-14 14:31:29

......As a rule put the new tyre on the front.

I was wrong. As per a very convincing Video of Michelin new tyres MUST go in the back. The reason is possible oversteer if the front has more grip.

-Is mounting tubeless on new Steel/OE rims safe ?
-Do I need to maintain same tyre pressure as my tubed ones ? (size if unchanged)
-Do tubeless tyres improve efficiency ? (both braking and fuel)
-Will there be any change in steering effort if we switch to tubeless ? (non PS cars)

-Yes, We've done that in our Alto(Bridgestone Turanzas) & is Quite easy & successful, till the Rims remains Rust-Free.

-Yes.

-Yes, l'll bit on FE..

And also offer alot Better Grip & thus better Braking & Cornering Abilities. 

-Yes, It became lighter than with the previous Tyres, may be due to New Tread(& its effect will be same for both PS & Non PS versions).

On one highway trip I had a flat (tubeless) in my Elantra, couldn't locate the source of the leak and after inflating it held air but changed the tyre anyhow and proceeded to Chennai. Where I went to a tyre repair shop to know what had happened; after some scalp scratching the guys there told me that dust had gotten between the alloys and the tyre and air had seeped out from the edge of the rim. The highway was getting 4 laning done and there were bad and dusty stretches. Has anyone faced a situation like this? Bent rims I can understand but dust getting between the rims and tyre; how often does this happen?

@sb: Go for Used OEM Rims at some Local Alloy Wheel Shop, the enthusiasts Exchange them for Alloys at them, while paying the Balance.

You'll get them cheaper from that Shops.

@DD: That's quite possible, but only if the Tyres of your car were already Under Inflated at that time.

One of my friend have same Air Seepage problem with the Steel Wheels-Tubeless tyres of his previous Optra 1.6.

Uh oh.. that sounds too simple.. I believe more factors are involved in it rather than just oversteer. Can you elaborate on the video?

I guess you also need to consider which are the driving wheels, the load on the axles and the road conditions - dry /wet /ice.

For most small cars and sedans, I would believe putting new tyres on the front axle makes sense as the traction, load and steering comes there.

I experinced one thing on tubeless tyre . The sides are very soft and the Tyre of my Punto got teared and  became useless when it got pierced by edge of the pedal of one bicycle. can anybody  believe this

Soft sidewalls are a part of the radial design. Must keep the tyre properly inflated.  Since there is no tube inside this shows up even more in tubeless.

@nishu: With any new radial you will find the steering very soft for about 500km (there is a talc like lube used in the manufacturing process).

The sides are very soft and the Tyre of my Punto got teared and  became useless when it got pierced by edge of the pedal of one bicycle. can anybody  believe this

Yes its not such a Rare thing, even my friend's Lancer's & His Old Willy's Jeep Tubeless Radials(Chineese KENDA & Kumho) have gone crap the same way.

Even My previous Pulsar's rear Tubeless tyre was teared both sideways & base by a 6-Inch C-type Iron strip.

As noticed carefully & practically, Goodyear & MRF branded tyres seems to be main sufferer of such kinda troubles.

Bridgestones & JK-tyres doesn't looks & feel so Delicate.

@sg sir: That mean the steering will become relatively heavy after their Wear,say after 10k kms. !!

MRF suffer sidewall cuts ?? smiley3.gif. I believe not even a ninja sword or a Katana can make a cut. They are the hardest of all tyres. Even the tubeless ones are hard. Touch a MRF tyre and you will not feel the rubbery material at all.

Goodyears are the worst sufferers as I know. Same with premium tyres like Yokos and Michelins. Bridgestone tubed ones S322 and S248 are also hard tyres.

@sb,

Yes Mine previous Pulsar Rear Tyre was MRF Zapper Tubeless one, who went kaput mere 2000kms after its Installation.

But except Zappers, MRF are pretty hard tyres, which even wear upto their End with very much difficulty.

I have tubeless tyres in my Swift.. I got first puncture after 3500km, but as it was a big nail in my tyre, so it was unrepairable.. Finally I converted the tyre from tubeless to tyre with tube. The tyre puncutre was repaired in Rs.605/-(405 cost of MRF tyre and 200 for filling patche of tyre).. I don't which is good but the cost of first puncture was very high..

~10,000 kms on my Alto K10 -- no punctures yet!

As my driving is in the heavy traffic area, the roads are very well maintained and are 90% of the time clear from dirt and stuff, the tyres definitely benefit, and so does the car as a whole!

I have observed that

MSIL cars comes with JK , whearas hundai/ chevy/ vw polo with comes with apolo tyres.

1. whether apolo tyres are better than Jk ?

2. now a days i see polo with JK , is it a cost cutting major?

Tubeless tyres have one major problem is that puntures are not that easy to detect especially in sidewalls(facing the car body not road),this is from personal experience.This problem is amplified by power steering which makes it difficult to detect any variations in handling.