rssh

What Have You Done To Improve Performance??

Audi is known to make cars and then do 50:50 weight distribution extensively like most car manufactures do but which parts can be substituted by aluminium .Iron steel has the best strength so ALNICO is the alloy by which it is substituted .So which parts can be safely changed by this maintaining safety .The Porsche has Aluminium doors which weight 11kg only but are they safe in side crash .

Also if we put bonnet scoop won't the rain water go inside and rust the engine .Well even vents allow this but to what extend will the water go.

A little late on this topic....but isn't the Civic supposed to be one of the "most mod friendly cars"?

It was voted as the most friendly car for 2 consecutive years by "People's choice"

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/02/jetta-tdi-stomp.html

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2006/11/peoples_choice.html

Agreed that its not the Indian version....but is the engine so different?

Even I think the Civic would be great for souping the engine. Stock engine has 132bhp and it should be easily increased.

@ Gurkha : 278bhp from your Accord, SWEET! Is it the 3 litre engine?

My performance upgrades on my Palio are listed in my signature below and I have gained around 10% more power. Am I right with that claim?

Hi All,

Am a new entrant here. I have a 1.5 yr old Chevy Aveo 1.4. I was wondering what changes can i do to improve its performance. Some basic pointers would help. Also would these changes be reversible, since another 2 yrs or so later, i'll be passing on the car to my parents, and it should not be a problem for them to drive comfortably.

Regards

Saurabh

Ok one or two change won't do good so keep a budget of 40k .Go for K&N filter ,iridium spark plugs ,free flow exhaust and cool air intake .Sport radiator and all this will give performance (you can say up by 8bhp or so) if you really want good accleration think measures to reduce car weight.

Ok one or two change won't do good so keep a budget of 40k .Go for K&N filter ' date='iridium spark plugs ,free flow exhaust and cool air intake .Sport radiator and all this will give performance (you can say up by 8bhp or so) if you really want good accleration think measures to reduce car weight.[/quote']

Thanks for the inputs...Wont these increase the acceleration too, or just the top speed? Also, can i later change these back to the default factory parts/settings?

This will improve accleration and not top speed .Hardly how many times do you reach top speed . If you don't have alloys then do that first then go for performance filters then the trend follows to wet NOS.direct port.

A little late on this topic....but isn't the Civic supposed to be one of the "most mod friendly cars"?

It was voted as the most friendly car for 2 consecutive years by "People's choice"

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/02/jetta-tdi-stomp.html

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2006/11/peoples_choice.html

Agreed that its not the Indian version....but is the engine so different?

That's a vote for the '06 SEMA show. Bear in mind that 'modifiers' the world over, including the USA, trick out their car with body kits and ICE first. Performance is only secondary. This just happens to be the result of a survey conducted at SEMA. :)

As far as I know, tuners prefer Civics upto the '98 model because of the front suspension and B/K series of motors.

Hi All' date='

Am a new entrant here. I have a 1.5 yr old Chevy Aveo 1.4. I was wondering what changes can i do to improve its performance. Some basic pointers would help. Also would these changes be reversible, since another 2 yrs or so later, i'll be passing on the car to my parents, and it should not be a problem for them to drive comfortably.

Regards

Saurabh
[/quote']

Please believe me, I'm not trying to mock you: the best way to increase your performance will be to rev it harder. Are you already driving at your car's limit? Think about it. Get grippier tyres, don't change anything else.

u definitely shud go in 4 sum delicious rims along wid tubeless tyres.....da ride ifficiency & handlin improve lyk hell!

NOTE FROM ADMIN: Please take time out to type in proper english. Use of SMS/CHAT lingo is strictly prohibited on the forum.
FuelRunGod2008-03-25 15:19:54

Please believe me' date=' I'm not trying to mock you: the best way to increase your performance will be to rev it harder. Are you already driving at your car's limit? Think about it. Get grippier tyres, don't change anything else.

[/quote']

Very good advice and I second it. There is no point in upgrading and not using the extra power. Also, the tyres are a very important if not the most important part of a perfomance upgrade.

EDIT: This slipped my mind in my post in sudeep's thread as I only thought of engine changes.

5u3zEr02008-03-25 12:29:06

Ok one or two change won't do good so keep a budget of 40k .Go for K&N filter ' date='iridium spark plugs ,free flow exhaust and cool air intake .Sport radiator and all this will give performance (you can say up by 8bhp or so) if you really want good accleration think measures to reduce car weight.[/quote']

How much mhp does the iridium spark plugs give? Trust me on this, iridium sparks dont even give half bhp increase on a stage 1 modified engine, if you are running stage 2, then think about plugs, otherwise leave them stock and dont waste money upgrading things which dont matter on a slightly modded engine.

Tunning is not so easy, you just dont add stuff and expect your car to perform better, there are lots of more things to it.

mhp = mental horse power.

I have two cars, a swift diesel and an octavia 1.9TDI. Both are stock and enjoy warranty since I only had the ECU remapped as per european specs. The dealer cant find out on the diagnostic computer. Just love it and highly recommend if your budget is not extremely high keeping in mind the stock does it all. A simple remap from someone who provides custom remapping services can be magical, but make sure you have a good vendor who carries out the job. Better to pay a few thousands more to work with someone who knows what they are doing.  The swift has a power increase from 75 to 95 on bhp and the octavia from 95 to 130. Since they are performance tuned we now have stick with higher quality fuel. The other upgrades were tires and rims for sure and immediate on the swift for better traction control since the limiters now have all been removed and cars drive really quick.

I have two cars' date=' a swift diesel and an octavia 1.9TDI. Both are stock and enjoy warranty since I only had the ECU remapped as per European specs. The dealer cant find out on the diagnostic computer. ..... The swift has a power increase from 75 to 95 on bhp and the octavia from 95 to 130. Since they are performance tuned we now have stick with higher quality fuel. The other upgrades were tires and rims for sure and immediate on the swift for better traction control since the limiters now have all been removed and cars drive really quick. [/quote']

I think it is the smart thing to do - upgrade from the 'reduced' Indian specs and go to the Euro Specs. Also, do this only if you are sure of your fuel. So many  cities (non-Euro-III) may be out. Also, going to Euro specs you are not really stressing the engine any more than what is absolutely normal.

Also, the tyre upgrade is highly desirable (almost mandatory) since the performance increase requires better traction.

Well done.

.....  and the octavia from 95 to 130. Since they are performance tuned we now have stick with higher quality fuel.

Just checked the specs on the UK site. It is 105bhp and not 130 bhp! One experienced member pointed this out to me. He does not want his name revealed.

you're right. The numbers for Uk are 105 bhp. My mistake, what is meant is it has been tuned max to 130 bhp which is max the for the engine output and many dealerships actually sell it with the tuning program as an additional accessory calling the performance tuned at 130 bhp while selling new cars. This was my experience while I lived there.

nothing done or modified in my indica but lately say 3/4 days my car feels less noisy and easy on throttle of which didnt felt earlier, was much easier to drive and felt lighter to drive in city, dunno why may be with getting used to one can say but this thing never felt before???? any clues guys

i checked on this from my Tuning company and they explained to me more on remaps and why its safe and works well if you willing to read and understand how the engines work. Cars are tuned regionwise depending upon the quality of gas available. The two qualities regular and premium available are for a reason. One's the commercial grade with substantial properties and qualities to pass as fuel and the other one being the good grade with better octane standards that produce more combustion. For eg: the F1 cars will not perform at all with just ecu remapped with regular available 87 octane, it needs the 98 and above since the engine is tuned to quality of fuel supplied. On my swift and the skoda there is a remarkable difference just by going up to the premium quality tuning. I am guessing by atleast 25%.  It costs me an extra 70 bucks maybe for the preimum but it also drives better sucking less gas...so its all compensated.