jbond830

Mahindra and Tata missing a Big segment ??

The Tata and Mahindra are two Indian car manufacturers who are competing with the foreign brands lilke Suzuki/Hyundai/Chevrolet/Toyota/Renault. Both of them are forgetting on a very crucial segment which will have a lot of competition in the near future. "Luxury Limousine segement"

The Hyundai I30, Honda CRV, Suzuki GVitara Optra SRV and Logan  are unique cars with very Unique features

- 5 seater

- big width, approximates to 1700mm

- long wheel base, aprroximates to 2700mm

- luxurious and supportive seats offering top class comfort.

- Less than 4500mm total length. Its an intelligent use of space  to provide luxury without compromising driving comfort.

Comming back to the point:

There is no 5 seater option in Xylo, Scorpio, Safari and Sumo grande.

These cars have the wheel base and the width to suit this Luxury Limousine segement, but havnt utilised to get the extra edge.

Wonder if there is a 5 seater option in Xylo/Safari??? It would be great VFM considering the luxury.

jbond8302009-02-05 11:29:40

Thats a good point. Even these two big companies give safety the back seat. Airbags and ABS brakes are of secondary importance and not available in most of  their variants of the the Scorpio, Bolero, Xylo (even the E8 does not have the safety features),Safari (only a top variant has airbags),Sumo Grande,Indigo (including the CS) and the very, very new Indica Vista.

These manufacturers probably have too much faith in supernatural powers to save the occupants of their cars/UV's, MPV's,SUV's.

Well, As AutoCar recently reported, Mahindra has a new project, codenamed "project 201" which is going to target the Honda Crv. It is going to be a Front wheel drive/4wd option with 5 or 7 seats. It should be out by around 2011ish. CYRUS432009-02-06 05:19:07

Jboond, while I broadly agree with your view that Tata and Mahindra have not launched a luxury soft roader, if thats what you mean, I dont think the examples you have cited are a reflection of the topic itself.

Logan--This is wide bodied, but the seats are so flat that you feel more comfortable in an indica! I cannot agree that the logan is an unique car just because its broad and it does not definetly cater to any where near luxury.

Chevrolet SRV--This was a notch back derivative of the optra and failed miserably. Hyundai Viva was something similar to this, but even that never really took off.

Honda CRV & G.vitara are soft roaders and yes they cater to the Upper D segment. But look at their price--they retail at about 17 lakh upwards. Do you think Tata & Mahindra can get away with such price points?

I30-I think this is a notch back too, but may be launched in india as a sedan--new elantra.

Notchbacks will work in india only if they are not priced outrageously.

Tata & Mahindra manufacture cars for the masses. Even the indicruz which is supposed to come from tata by 2011, may be similar to the xylo and innova. But yes, the xylo and the indicruz should have five seater options may be to make it more luxurious.

Luxurious Limousine segment may become important in future but definitely not in the near future of the Indian car industry. At present, the market is tilting towards high-end luxurious small cars because of increasing city traffic and congestion. Maybe the two companies at present have laid their entire focus on producing small cars. Later, when the market for luxurious limousine is up, the manufacturers have have new strategies and new cars in their portfolio.

As said both M&M and Tata both do not have the brand image for the cars in the Luxury Limousine segment.Even suzuki which show cased the Kizashi concept ( not sure of spelling) has put a pause button since expectations from ppl to suzuki are cute little compact cars and not high end Limousines and they prefer other brands compared to suzuki.

And its not easy for a company to build the image just by launching a car with 20lks price tag. It must be in a flow that the requirements from market to make cars in that segment.

Chevrolet SRV--This was a notch back derivative of the optra and failed miserably. Hyundai Viva was something similar to this' date=' but even that never really took off.

I30-I think this is a notch back too, but may be launched in india as a sedan--new elantra.

Notchbacks will work in india only if they are not priced outrageously.

. [/quote']

Its not about the notchback or SUV. Its just about the comfort given to the rear passenger. I sat in both GVitara and SRV. The Chevy SRV gave a more spacious and luxurious feel while siting in the back. Especially the leg room is awesome.

Bascially the price matters and Tata/Mahindra can easily give a run for the money to all the outsiders.

Below pic shows what I am talking about.

maybach-interior.jpg

Firstly they need to improve their ride and handling. Still they are no where near to Innova. And secondly, quality is important. And Tata should prove their reliability, as do Mahindra. Then only they can try getting near CR-V or others.

Firstly they need to improve their ride and handling. Still they are no where near to Innova. And secondly' date=' quality is important. And Tata should prove their reliability, as do Mahindra. Then only they can try getting near CR-V or others.[/quote']

Well, Just to highlight. Limousines and mostly chauffeur driven.

Tata and Mahindra have the decent handling to suit this segment.

well luxury segment has never pulled customers for tata and mahindra cars, as they lack refinment and safety features, and also the main thing is its price factor, as we people always believe that our companies.. tata and mahindra are capable for strong small routine cars, luxury offered say tata gave safari as 5 seater with all rich features, but didnt do well, as compared to innova which still is rulling in its segment.

Yes, I firmly agree with you.. even if you can see on the road, in traffic, wherever you see TATA vehicle whether it is bus, truck or car...the maximum polluted vehicle available in India is TATA. The kind of smoke coming out of  these vehicle as per my beliefes are maximum in this world. If you are going on the road on bike or in auto, you can not stand / ride behind the TATA vehicle in the metros...It's a real practical fact...if you are not agree with it.. try it once.

Yes' date=' I firmly agree with you.. even if you can see on the road, in traffic, wherever you see TATA vehicle whether it is bus, truck or car...the maximum polluted vehicle available in India is TATA. The kind of smoke coming out of  these vehicle as per my beliefes are maximum in this world. If you are going on the road on bike or in auto, you can not stand / ride behind the TATA vehicle in the metros...It's a real practical fact...if you are not agree with it.. try it once.[/quote']

Lol, you have missed the whole point of this thread

Lots of smoke because Tata makes all the diesel cars, while maruti sticks only to petrol. Diesel available in India is below standard, compared to the petrol which has gone into lots of emission standards. Its the government to blame for not keeping standards on the quality of diesel sold

Well' date=' Just to highlight. Limousines and mostly chauffeur driven.Tata and Mahindra have the decent handling to suit this segment.[/quote']

For that only I fear they are not suitable. As far as ride, even Tata can be considered but not Mahindra. Both are not good in handling(read it as body lean at curves). They both make rear passengers uncomfortable while turning, especially while driving in a ghat section. While driving a car, you won't feel about any comfort like other passengers, as drivers are not shaken or tilted and are glued to the wheel.

For that only I fear they are not suitable. As far as ride' date=' even Tata can be considered but not Mahindra. Both are not good in handling(read it as body lean at curves). They both make rear passengers uncomfortable while turning, especially while driving in a ghat section. While driving a car, you won't feel about any comfort like other passengers, as drivers are not shaken or tilted and are glued to the wheel.[/quote']

That true. Its called body roll. When the car tends to topple(roll) while its does a tight turn at high speeds, it is said to have high body roll.

Body roll is because of the tall boyish design.i.e high center of gravity of vehicle. The tall boyish design is very much liked by many people in India, because it offers good visibility and space to the driver.

So, considering Indian driving conditions, body roll could be a compromise for getting Good road visibility and More space per car.

Body roll is very bad to the race, rally drivers.

That's body lean actually.

Well, most of us talk about roll. And its called body roll for a reason. Body lean is very misleading.

just to confirm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_roll

As of now. Xylo seems to offer good leg space with tight turning radius.

Other notable cars are the Camry, Accord, Superb

jbond8302009-02-10 07:06:39