mariodcosta1993

Pajero Tyre Bursts

On 23 January 2009, at 8:00 am, when i was driving my 8 month old Mitsubishi Pajero SFX, on a straight road with a minor slope, at about 60 kms/hr., after about 3 Kms, suddenly the vehicle started to go on the right side at which moment in an attempt to make the steering straight , my hand went in the steering wheel and got badly mutilated. Immediately later, the car made a screeching sound and spun 180 and the rear left wheel banged the divider and the car toppled and rolled 2 1/2 times and stopped with its wheels up. All the 5 oppupants survived.

The vehicle had done only about 6,000 Kms. The temperature on the Pajeros  thermometer at 7:45 that morning read 19. The car was serviced in December by the company and the tyre pressure was kept at 32.

All the tyres are flat, but the front Left tyre has some of its rubber ripped off. The discs have some chunks at the edges missing. The chassis and the body is damaged.

Did this happen because the front tyre burst or could there have been some mechanical defect. Kindly suggest what could be the problem.

Was some wheel bearing at the right side jammed? This is because from your statement it appears that the SUV was swerving towards the right. That means the wheels to its left were normal and moving. If some wheel bearing towards its right was jammed, the SUV is likely to swerve towards that side.

Many a time the wheel bearings are at fault. Get the SUV thoroughly checked at the company service centre.

Nevertheless, its a great relief that you and the 4 occupants are safe and sound.

Was some wheel bearing at the right side jammed? This is because from your statement it appears that the SUV was swerving towards the right. That means the wheels to its left were normal and moving. If some wheel bearing towards its right was jammed' date=' the SUV is likely to swerve towards that side.
Many a time the wheel bearings are at fault. Get the SUV thoroughly checked at the company service centre.
Nevertheless, its a great relief that you and the 4 occupants are safe and sound.
[/quote']

yes anjan, also with its bearings gettimg jammed, gets its wheel shaft strucked which may have caused this accident. though all passengers are safe which is a good news. Get you vehicle checked at companies service station.

Mario I think all the occupant's were safe; thinking objectively, I think you have to thank God Almighty. Then have the car thoroughly examined and sit down with a cool head and try to recollect what exactly happened. It's very difficult; but I feel that your right wheel must have caught a stray boulder or the median that must have precipitated the event's. I have seen a similar thing happen on one of the dimly lit streches of GST road I saw a Tata Sierra ascend the central median and then get down at high speed. The driver must have got a severe jolt, and I doubt if he can tell what had happened unlike me who was watching the incident from the opposite direction, fortunately for him, vehicle didn't topple over and he continued with probably a bruised ego and suspension. The median's can be a problem because they are nothing but a "loose" assembly of prefab block's of concrete and then can get jumbled and can obstruct traffic when a vehicle even touches it.

do you think someone could have loosened the tyre lugs (mischief/ attempt at theft) i cant imagine why a 8 month old car with only 6000 kms on the odo would break down in such a catastrophic manner..

was  the car parked in a secure location before you drove off?..

Soon after buying the car, after the 1st servicing, the dealership of the seller was removed. So people from another state used to come to service the car. The second servicing was done by them in December but the greasing was not done because they did not have the equipment. The car was not greased after it was purchased. The 1st servicing did not have greasing.

Could the accident have occurred because of not greasing?

I need to know the price of these parts of the Pajero (SFX) (India). The price should include taxes, etc. for India.

1. rear coil springs

2. front bumper

3. all doors (complete) (front as well as rear-5)

4. Body

5. Glasses (windsheild, etc.)

6. complete headlamps (both)

7. Disc breaks (all 4)

8. All 4 tyres

The second servicing was done by them in December but the greasing was not done because they did not have the equipment. The car was not greased after it was purchased. The 1st servicing did not have greasing.

Could the accident have occurred because of not greasing?

I don't think any car will require such frequent greasing to the Wheel Bearings.

For Indigos, Tata recommends Wheel Greasing every 20,000-25,000kms.

And Your Pajero is just 6,000kms old. There must be another problem. As manuuj said May be the wheel lugs loose. Did your SUV face any puncture, recently?

BTW, are the tyres tubeless or tube-type?

I think they must be tubeless (considering the price of SUV).

I did not know that after Tubeless tyres burst, the vehicle looses its balance.smiley18.gif

Please tell me the price of these parts:

I need to know the price of these parts of the Pajero (SFX) (India). The price should include taxes, etc. for India.

1. rear coil springs

2. front bumper

4. Body

7. Disc breaks (all 4)

8. All 4 tyres

Please tell me the price of these parts:I need to know the price of these parts of the Pajero (SFX) (India). The price should include taxes' date=' etc. for India.

1. rear coil springs

2. front bumper

4. Body

7. Disc breaks (all 4)

8. All 4 tyres

[/quote']

Oh Hell,

Do you actually need to replace all the above mentioned parts? If yes.....then speak to your insurance company...and push them to declare the car a total loss.....

The vehicle lost its balance and started rolling only after hitting the divider.

But how did the vehicle lose balance? In your very first post you said that "suddenly the vehicle started to go on the right side at which moment in

an attempt to make the steering straight , my hand went in the steering

wheel and got badly mutilated".

How did this happen? Please explain how your hand got mutilated.smiley18.gif

and how did the vehicle spin 180 Deg.

But the car was just serviced in December. How could the bearings become jammed.

Two points:

1. Bearings may take only 5km to jam or fall apart when they fail. So a month or more is far more. I am working on developing Hot Box sensors for the railways so should know.

2. In your original post you mention all tyres were flat.Does this not hint at some fool deflating them all! Also, if you lose inflation in even a single tyre the car takes far more throttle to move.

In your original post you mention all tyres were flat.Does this not hint at some fool deflating them all! Also' date=' if you lose inflation in even a single tyre the car takes far more throttle to move.

[/quote']

Sir, he said that after the car toppled and landed, at that time the tyres were flat.

If the tyres would have been flat before starting the journey, the occupants would have noticed this. As no one noticed, hence the tyres were flat after the accident took place.

the more i think about it the more i feel the right front tyre came loose and wobbled which caused the initial veering towards the right..

then due to this veer it came off the hub completely and got stuck between the fender and the road which caused the steering to react violently..

the loud screeching caused from the tyre rubber in contact with the metal fender and the sudden 180 degree turn resulting in the top heavy car rolling over..

the reason for the tyre coming loose is what the mystery is about..

my brother has a new pajero sfx too hence my interest....