mariodcosta1993

Pajero Tyre Bursts

Why did the car spin?

[/quote

have you ever driven any car through a large pool of water during the monsoons with only one side in the water and the other side on a comparatively dry surface?.. 

it causes the car to jerk TOWARDS the side with more resistance  ie towards the water.

as now the side on the dryer surface has less friction / resistance to deal with it tends to move more freely causing the car to veer towards the side with more resistance.

in the same manner , your pajero was moving in a straight line at 60 km per hour when suddenly the right hand front side got jammed and caused higher resistance than the left side

this caused the right side to SLOW down much faster than the free moving left side causing the rear left to step out and due to inertia loose traction and cause you to be facing the direction you came from.. 

Sir' date=' he said that after the car toppled and landed, at that time the tyres were flat.

If the tyres would have been flat before starting the journey, the occupants would have noticed this. As no one noticed, hence the tyres were flat after the accident took place.

[/quote']

I was wondering why the other wheels will go flat in any case. They should not deflate by the car landing on its back!

MArio, You need to investigate the cause in detail, I suspect that there could be a power steering failure, since you have said that the steering wheel was so heavy that you damaged your hand in the process, If this is the case you should take the service center or the manufacturer to court. In case of the car I think if the cost of rebuilding is not more than 50% of the value of the car then you can look at repairs but if it exceeds this then ask the insurance company to make it a total loss.

the reason for the flat tires is obviously due to flat spotting of the tires on the tarmac or hitting the median hard causing a tear in the tire or the rims to bend.

I guess you guys survived because you were in a Pajero, some other vehicle and the results could have been drastic.

I have another take on this if you were driving at high speed close to the median and if a median stone was in the way your right tire would have hit it hard causing the steering to swing to the right and your tail ending the car in to the median, very much a possibility since such fallen median stones cannot be easily noticed either due to vegetation or mud etc.

Please tell me the price of these parts:

I need to know the price of these parts of the Pajero (SFX) (India). The price should include taxes, etc. for India.

1. rear coil springs

2. front bumper

3. all doors (complete) (front as well as rear-5)

4. Body

5. Glasses (windsheild, etc.)

6. complete headlamps (both)

7. Disc breaks (all 4)

8. All 4 tyres

the multiple rollover must have caused the tyres to deflate rapidly..

I have my doubts. However, as Sherlock Holmes used to say, "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, howsoever improbable is the truth".

How could a Pajero have toppled?

The divider is about 12 inches high and 1.5 metre in breadth. Can this topple a Pajero?

There was a Santro close to the right rear tyre. Could it have banged us while crossing the lane and make me to lose the control of the vehicle or was it because of the tyre.

Can the tyre burst after it toppled?

Or does the new Pajero SFX have a defect since its ground clearence is increased.

Please reply

The high centre of gravity of most SUVs make them more prone to topple and you shouldn't really be surprised that it rolled over. Hit something at a certain angle and at the right speed, you can roll over any car let alone an SUV. Tyres can deflate from impact damage too. This isn't any defect but a general characteristic of all tall vehicles.

FRG

Then if a Pajero travels on a bad road at the right angle then it will topple?

Then this should happen most of the times.

As i said earlier we have a pajero, and it did not topple on bad roads..we have taken it for many offroad excursions and have had no problems like that..in addition i have driven it at 90-100 kmph on surface roads and it feels way more planted and stable than a safari or scorpio..

I dont think the car is at fault here..more the nature of your accident.

im attaching some pics of our offroad action and since i was driving i can assure you the Pajero felt very stable all through..

paj1.jpg

as you can see i swerved at a reasonable speed here

paj2.jpg

paj3.jpg

going over some high obstructions..again i wasnt exactly slow at this time either!

paj4.jpg

I agree its not the car but the nature of the accident. I'm just trying to say that tall SUVs with their high centre of gravity are more likely to topple than low to the ground saloons or hatchbacks.

FRG

Very right sir..i completely agree. The high ground clearance makes all SUV's prone to toppling over when compared to low saloons.

All i was trying to explain to mario was that after reading his post i kept a keen and suspicious eye on our Pajero for a while, but after a few thousand kilometers of driving on smooth surface roads and rough terrain my confidence in the Pajero is unshakable!

It feels way more stable and planted than our M-Hawk Scorpio which waddles like a duck on the slightest undulations on the highways..smiley1.gif

The Same type of Accident happened to me too.

Last FEB 8 am UNA , Himachal pradesh , we 4 with my Dad driving ( 18 years Exp in Driving )in our 2006 Scorpio which had Trips to Himachal atleast 6 times before.

Near Una on a Sharp right curve , it was a Single road with us at 60-70 Kmph and a Maruti 800 was in Our Lane coming from Opposite side , to save him Dad swerved to Left and 2 Left Tyres of Scorp went into Mud Side... Then Saw Dad a "gaddha" not a very Big one. We went into it and the Scorp Jumped up 2-3 feet in air , Dad had turned Steering to right to save frm gaddha and when the car Landed on Wheels from the Jump first it SPUN and then the WORST came Expected from Suv.

We toppled 3 times and the car Came to Rest With Driver side Road on Door. As all 4 Occupants were wearing Seat Belts , nothing happened not even a Scratch. As Body of Scorp is Strong we Survived... Suprisingly there was no Damage to Engine as even after Toppling Engine was Running.

We came in a Taxi back to Delhi , car was totally crushed under its own weight. Took 2 months for Mahindra to Repair and they Did such a Bad Repair Job that i Cried after seein the car , not even Dents were Properly removed. Total Cost of Repairs was 175000. I have photos of Accident too which i will post.

HOw to UPLOAD photos

This is my LAst attempt to UPLOAD , i read the instructions.....

image061.jpg

Note From Admin: It just needed image tags. "[ IMG ] IMAGE LINK [ /IMG ]" (Remove the quotes and spaces)

FuelRunGod2009-03-19 16:49:25

Coolboy,
                I tried opening of the link you provided above. But I am not able to upload it after saving it to my computer.
        Anyways, you send me the image at XXXXXXXXXX and I will upload it for you.
Bye.

Note From Admin: Email address removed. Remember this is a public forum, giving out your personal email ID may not be the best idea.
FuelRunGod2009-03-19 16:51:05

Coolboy' date='                 I tried opening of the link you provided above. But I am not able to upload it after saving it to my computer.        Anyways, you send me the image at XXXXXXXXX and I will upload it for you.Bye.[/quote']

Do tell me to how to UPLOAD photos when u have time.

Sent u all Photos which i had. FuelRunGod2009-03-19 16:51:44