chau_s79

Safari 2.2 v/s Scorpio 2.2 / 2.6

Some private tour operators lay their hands on varied vehicles, I've seen almost all sorts of cars plying as taxis these days, but these are numbered & inbetween. Conventional ones still rule & people like to resist the common ones.

OT, since you are online & replying readily, just had a query, is M&M going to launch some sort of a jeep, say like 550/540 in near future?

I ask this as Im an avid jeep fan & rumours are abound!
BornFree2009-02-28 19:02:54

Yes I heard the rumours as well. But I believe the jeep is still in the idea stage. They have been quite secretive about it so we don't know for sure.

They do have the Souvenir for now. Brilliant but too expensive at around Rs 6.5 lakhs. Check our last anniversary issue. It has a feature story on offroaders.

FRG

"Souvenir" would be a waste of money, IMO!

I was looking in for something basic & VFM, but new too.

Something like Classic, 550, etc.

Can 550 be ordered from the company?

There are strong rumours about a new jeep making a debut around April, who better than you guys to confirm!

No you can't order the 550 from the company. If you could I would have one in my garage. They do make it for the Army though. Frankly I don't know if that Jeep will materialise or not. But with Mahindra you never know, they are known to do such things.

If they don't launch. Best bet would be to get a used 540/550 and rebuild it. Classics are rare and if you find one, it will probably need a lot of work.

FRG

Thanks, I was a little confused as last month a M&M agency executive told me that 550 can be ordered from the company on 3 months booking.

But from what you said, I think the exec. might be a novice!

Glad to know that you are a jeep fan too!

I already have an old 550, so no more oldies!

Trips to the garage are frequent with old M&M's.

I want to avoid such trips in future, so the tilt towards new!

Would Scorpio 4x4 come in base model too with 2.2 engine, as top model 4x4 would take the price too high.

Thanks, then I can wait for the Mhawk 4x4.

My 550 is pretty old, actually I got it 2nd hand then, done ~ 1.5L km.

I love offroading, so the bent of mind towards jeeps, can go in for expensive 4x4 too, but won't be able to use like I use my 550 because of fear of damage. So, need something rugged.

Please do post some pictures in Anjan's thread if possible. Would love to see it. If you want a good off-roader that is relatively cheap and can still be bought new. Go for the Gypsy King. Beware, it is a petrol so running costs won't be very cheap.

FRG

coming back to the topic, the problem with the safari is lack of low end grunt. IMO, the safaro 3.0 is more responsive than the safari 2.2 at low revs. the reason could be the gearing or the kerb weight. also, safari 2.2 is not as refined as the scorpio 2.2 or even the innova 2.5.

but nothing comes close to the magic carpet ride the safari offers. the seats in safari are the best in the class, even better than the innova.

both SUVs rolls like titanic during cornering!

so ultimately it depends on what your priorities are.
raj_50042009-03-01 07:33:35

You are correct that the 3.0 has a slightly better low end than the 2.2vtt. But the 2.2 more than makes up for it with the punchy midrange.

Engine wise there is no argument that the Mahindra 2.2 is the better one.

FRG

Well i hope that Tata does some VISTA magic to Safari and bring in new one with better plastics and quality...I just love the Safari's looks but rattling and niggling is only thing keeping me away from this one..Safari looks kinda real off-roader, its been here for so long but still rocks..

With the launch on the new facelifted Scorpio, the battle wil lbecome more serious..

I guess if TATA doe snot soon take care of its issues with the Safari the scales are going to start tipping in favour of the Scorpio...

Then now matter ho w good the Safari is no one will want to own a legend with build quality and minor issues

Maybe like Mahindra, Tata also decide to retain the family DNA! & hence share the common family look.

Any idea about time frame for Safari facelift?

Heard that new Scorpio would be out as soon as tomorrow or by 10th March?

I really anticipate a small facelift to the Safari soon, with Xylo, Scorpio & Innova already facelifted, Tata needs to renew interest in the Safari soon.

The front look could be borrowed from the Xenon!

with the new facelift, mahindra has made amends for one of the two grouses i had with the scorpio. they have added electrical RVMs. now only if they could add airbags, atleast as an option.

the safari is getting very old now, it needs a major facelift IMHO.

wish i could have the scorpio's body with mHawk engine, safari's seats & suspension & innova's reliability all in one package!

wish i could have the scorpio's body with mHawk engine' date=' safari's seats & suspension & innova's reliability all in one package![/quote']

That would be ideal/perfect, but alas ideal really doesn't exist!

The closest one could get to this combination could be in the Innova, with peppy engine & comfy suspension.