manish0_0

Dimming of headlight

Y the people in the night given dipper to the up coming vehicle.These light are making blind to the driver and cause of accident.

In fact one of my neighbor  has faced this problem and met to YAMRAJ while going from korba to Raipur.His car was hit with TRUCK only due to glare of light.

Manufacturer has to do needful in this field.

Some years ago there was talk of making an automatic dipper mandatory. Only then they found that no reliable devices of the kind existed.

Also, the habit of painting the top of the truck headlamps makes the problem worse. What happens is that in order to compensate the lights are adjusted to a higher angle resulting in even more glare.

As far as I know painting lights is in violation of the 1989 Motor Vehicles Act. A couple of years ago some reporter of times of India wrote an article suggesting that the painting of lights be made compulsory. I immediately sent an e-mail pointing out the fallacies. This got major prominence in the paper the next day, and is the last I heard of this misguided attempt.

Y the people in the night given dipper to the up coming vehicle.These light are making blind to the driver and cause of accident.

Do you want to say "Why the upcoming vehicles don't use dipper (Low Beam) instead of High Beam?

Whenever I see an upcoming vehicle, I switch from High Beam to Low Beam. In fact I keep switching High Beam-Low Beam-High Beam-Low Beam..... until the upcoming vehicle switch to Low Beam.

Most of the accidents are cause because of glare.

Suppose you are going on highway. You see upcoming vehicle (Vehicle A) and switch to Low Beam. But vehicle A does not switch to Low Beam.

If coincidentally (and unfortunately), there is a vehicle B Without Any Reflectors standing on your lane some 200-300metres ahead of you. Now as vehicle A has not switched to LB, you will not be able to see vehicle B and you may go straight into its Rear Part. Here who is responsible??

FITTING HIGHER WATTAGE BULBS WILL NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

In fact I once tried fitting 130/100W bulb on our Indigo LS. But the glare did not disappear. I use to face glare from upcoming vehicles.

YES THE GLASS OF BOTH HEADLAMPS WERE BLACKENED BECAUSE OF HIGHER (HIGHER THAN WHAT TATA HAD RECOMMENDED 60/55W) WATTAGE BULBS.

I replaced both Headlamps (Rs.1634/- each) and fitted 60/55 Watts Bulb (this was standard spec bulb for our Indigo LS). Indicas and Indigo CS come with 60/55 W bulbs whereas New Indigos (other than CS) and Indica Vista come with 55W Double Barrel Headlamps.

Most of the cars sold in India come with 60/55W as Standard. And I think it (60/55W) is sufficient if the upcoming vehicles use Dipper instead of High Beam (AT LEAST UNTIL BOTH THE VEHICLES CROSS EACH OTHER).

Why to upgrade from Standard fitment and waste money unnecessarily, when the Manufacturers of vehicles don't think the need of it and don't recommend it?

The Manufacturers of Automobiles (Bikes, Cars, Scooters) do LOTS of Research for their vehicles and then decide the Specifications for their vehicles. So if the Manufacturers do Research and decide that 60/55W bulbs are sufficient to Illuminate the Road Ahead in India, I don't think we should go against the Manufacturers.

JUST USE DIPPER (LOW BEAM) INSTEAD OF HIGH BEAM UNTIL YOU CROSS THE UPCOMING VEHICLE(S).

sudeepd2009-02-09 13:53:04

The best is to stop the car to the extreme left, use dipper to dim your headlight and then coolly allow the overcharged beast with "HORN OK PLEASE" painted on its body to pass by.A lot of accidents are caused due to blinding headlights of oncoming trucks and cars.In some cases drivers with occupants have hit some parked truck (to the left) under breakdown, killing or maiming themselves, due to blinding headlights of some oncoming vehicle.

It is the best to avoid night driving unless its urgent. I prefer night halts after dark.

The best is to stop the car to the extreme left' date=' use dipper to dim your headlight and then coolly allow the overcharged beast with "HORN OK PLEASE" painted on its body to pass by.[/quote']

Not only the overcharged "HORN OK PLEASE" painted beasts but also the overcharged cars who don't use dipper while crossing upcoming vehicles.

Some drivers don't even bother to use low beams while overtaking if an upcoming vehicle is coming.

Example=

You are traveling in a particular direction.Vehicle A is coming from opposite direction.

and Vehicle B wants to overtake you before Vehicle A come closer.

Its duty of Vehicle B to use Low Beam until he overtakes you to avoid glare to Vehicle A while overtaking you.

But most drivers of Vehicle Bs don't bother about this.

I have had it with driving and riding in chennai's roads ! Every car uses high beam and i am literally blinded when cars with high beam on pass by me. Today i got into a scuffle with a Superb owner. He had used his head lamp leveller to such an extent that it hits an oncoming driver's eyes even if low beam was on. Fortunately for me he was an educated chap and i made him realise what High beam and Bi-xenons feel like by making him sit in my car and parking it right in front of his superb. He immediately apologised and assured me he would use low beam. For this to happen i had to stop in front of his car. Luckily it was in Annanagar and the roads were empty that time.

This will be a never ending problem on Indian roads. Truck drivers are completely indifferent and then there is the car owners breed, howsoever educated they might be, they never use low beam. The answer is, a high beam illuminates the road better than the low beam.. I saw a Rs.100 fine on the RTO fine chart for driving on high beam. But does the RTO bother?

@Friends

I don't completely agree with anyone of you(Its not that only truckers are doing this practice its only because bad name is worse than bad work) ,because of my total driving experience of 1lac+ kms,what I have observed is as follows:

Since I too own a fleet of trucks,what I have observed is that the driver is careless only if he is either drunk or sleepy.

Truck drivers are some of the most disciplined drivers on the highway(I mean in north),whenever I do switch the beams,the truckers(mostly of them)do reply in a kind manner and switch to low beam.

Its a fact that mostly those State transport bus drivers and the car drivers are the best examples of the situation mentioned in this thread.

Many times I have observed that when I drive the car,then if I do switch to low beam,others too does the same(though 40 percent are goons),while if we are riding the bike then most of the car drivers seems to be committed to make you get out of the road...

I just want to know that how many of us do seriously follow this rule of dimming???

I being truthful..I do it seven times out of ten(ie:70 percent).TSiVipul2011-02-03 06:42:55

Even on city roads, people drive their cars with high beam even on well-illuminated roads in Bangalore/Chennai.  The rule of driving with low beam or parking lamps is being followed more in breach than in observance.  The cab drivers intentionally tilt their high wattage additonal lights so as to settle score with truck drivers!

@J.Ravi

Its good to see that at least there is one person who has expressed the real condition.Here in Meerut I have even found a few taxis fitted with HIDs(Isn't it unbelievable??taxis having HID)and bigger irony is that they does the same with HIDs,blinding others..

Though I too have a set of 4 lamps on my Innova(2 stock+2 aftermarket) all fitted with HIDs,and it really works at least others including every sort of vehicle do switch to the low beam after I force them to do so..

I have many times observed some species(those are mainly car owners),who say that"are light neeche karunga toh aage kya dikhega??jo saamne aayega uska kaam hai dekhna,light neeche karna unsafe hai,koi tumhe c****a batayega agar light neeche karoge".."Shifting to low beam is unsafe because it does not illuminate the road,while its the duty of the opposite side coming driver to manage,not ours.someone will call you ***** if you switch to low beam"...and I am always smiley7.gif on seeing such people.TSiVipul2011-02-03 07:03:37

What about the small truck drivers(Tata Ace)- it seems that they are the ones who powerful lamps the most. However,more than high beam, vehicles taking U-turn everywhere at places where they shouldn't be allowed and people running across the road after jumping over the dividers makes me upset.

A few days back in Mount Road,Chennai - a man jumped over the divider and fell on the road. I was lucky not to run over the car over him. I was moving at 80 kmph and my car came to a screeching halt some 10 feet before the man. Luckily, since it was a Sunday , there was no traffic. Otherwise ,someone would have rear ended me . However, that would be okay rather than running over a man and dealing with Indian officials for no mistake of mine.

@Ragav

You have mentioned an amazing fact."From where do those Tata Ace drivers get the headlamps"?I have observed these small trucks shaming even their bigger siblings.

I think it may be because their back is overloaded,so their headlights are always pointed slightly upwards(due to load at back)and pointing directly towards our eyes..

And this problem of people emerging from the divider is one of the worst problems.One incident that I met was nearly same as you,but the person whom my car hit hasn't fall down,instead he stood in front of the car like a statue like someone has freezed him in front of the car.

What is your thought about the people who dance on the road,I mean those who first cross the half of the road and then try to return back confused themselves and confusing us too.In such cases I simply come out of the car and teach them a lesson on their cheeks....TSiVipul2011-02-03 07:14:53

I completely agree Vipul... Its lack of education among the drivers. And about Ragav, even I wonder where do the Tata Ace get that beam. Its so harsh in your eyes.. and yes mostly it is on high beam.