jbond830

Two cylinder or Single cylinder bikes?

whats your choice?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. whats your choice?

• Bike fitted with Single cylinder engine
    • Bike fitted with two cylinder engine

1)Two cylinder engines will be smoother, less noise and vibration and have better pickup.

2)While single cylinder engines give the best mileage

What will you choose if you had these two options

Edit

PS:

A 500 cc bike, can be either a single cylinder of 500c, or two cylinders of 250cc.  But the latter will not be fuel efficient, but have other advantages as mentioned above

jbond8302009-02-09 17:30:35

I am not too sure that a 2-cyl will be less efficient that a single cyl. Of course it will have a cost and weight penalty! I think it is the cost which inhibits the manufacturers from having more 2 cyl bikes.

Same in cars. You need more than 4-cyl to have a power stroke all the time. Hence sixes (even fives) tend to be far smoother, but are not seen much. 

@archit

No, both will have similar power.

If both the options are of same displacement(CC), then both will have similar power. The torque will be higher in twin cylinder i.e its more responsive.

@rkrk, thakervijay

Yes,  We had options. Not anymore. If I missed please highlight

- Kinetic Comet 250 and Aquila 250 where two bikes which had twin cylinder. Also, I heard the old Indian bikes like yezdi had twin cylinder 350cc engine.

- Enfield does not have a twin cylinder even in 500cc bike.

- Bajaj, TVS are doing research on developing two cylinder engines. Read  in the dailies.

I am not too sure that a 2-cyl will be less efficient that a single cyl. Of course it will have a cost and weight penalty! I think it is the cost which inhibits the manufacturers from having more 2 cyl bikes.

That true to an extent. I read 2 cylinder will be always less efficient than its equal volume Single cylinder

- According to engine design theory' date=' the single cylinder engines will always be efficient than the multiple cylinders.

- 2 cylinders are heavier and costlier to make

Same in cars. You need more than 4-cyl to have a power stroke

all the time. Hence sixes (even fives) tend to be far smoother, but are

not seen much. 

Hey, 4 cylinders do have a power stroke all the time. That is why they have 4 cylinder for the 4 stroke engine. More cylinder will have multiple power strokes at one instance, hence more smoother. Correct me if am wrong

jbond8302009-02-10 04:49:51

Not really. You expect 90 degrees per cylinder so should be Ok. Do not forget at the end of the power stroke there is near zero output, so an overlap definitely helps in smoothness.

@archit
No' date=' both will have similar power.
If both the options are of same displacement(CC), then both will have similar power. The torque will be higher in twin cylinder i.e its more responsive.

@rkrk, thakervijay
Yes,  We had options. Not anymore. If I missed please highlight

- Kinetic Comet 250 and Aquila 250 where two bikes which had twin cylinder. Also, I heard the old Indian bikes like yezdi had twin cylinder 350cc engine.
- Enfield does not have a twin cylinder even in 500cc bike.
- Bajaj, TVS are doing research on developing two cylinder engines. Read  in the dailies.

[/quote']

Can we speak about available bikes on sale?.

All the rplies are in assumption.

Can we speak about available bikes on sale?.

All the rplies are in assumption.

What assumption are you talking about?  smiley17.gif

At least this thread will help you not miss another two cylinder bike. May be, you will be happy when Bajaj or Yamaha releases its twin cylinder bike.

jbond8302009-02-10 05:55:45

1)Two cylinder engines will be smoother' date=' less noise and vibration and have better pickup.

2)While single cylinder engines give the best mileage

[/quote']

Have to make some corrections. The single cylinder engine has more pickup than the 2 cylinder engine of equal displacement(CC).

How is that possible jbond? I think 2 cylinder will be faster because two piston works simultaneously and the power will delivered with ease. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Single cylinder engine has a more powerful 'power stroke'(combustion) than that of a two cylinder.  So this results in more torque.  The excess torque is very much noticeable at low rpm speed than at high rpm.

But the two cylinder will be much responsive. i.e smooth acceleration.

Hmmm thanks for the explanation. How will the highspeed performance of the both? I think twin cylinder is better here.

I guess, it more to do with engine design. Even thought the 4 cylinders are superior in performance, a very old engine will lack the performance of a newly designed 3 pot engine.