sudeepd

What is meant by "A Car Rolls a Lot or Rolls Less?

Friends,

We all read reviews about cars.

In that review, a point is mentioned that so-and-so car rolls a lot or so-and-so car rolls less.

Some cars have Anti-Roll Bars fitted to them.

So what is meant by this "Roll"?

Sudeep, The term 'roll' in a car basically means jerks and shakes, you will also notice a term 'Body Roll', that is when a car is on high speed on flat out road and feels some kind of shakes and jerks in it is called body roll.vibhor2009-02-10 10:06:33

Think about what happens to a car in a sharp turn. If you are inside the car, you know that your body gets pulled toward the outside of the turn. The same thing is happening to all the parts of the car. So the part of the car on the outside of the turn gets pushed down toward the road and the part of the car on the inside of the turn rises up. In other words, the body of the car "rolls" 10 or 20 or 30 degrees toward the outside of the turn. If you take a turn fast enough, the tires on the inside of the turn actually rise off the road and the car flips over.

There are different movement which depend on the line of axis. A ship will have rolling movement when it moves from left to right or a pitching movement when it moves front and back since it is in water which is a moving medium.

In a car the more pronounced movement which affects the handling of the car is the rolling movement to the left or the right, if you on a open road experiment with your car and make a series of hard left and right turns and the amount of tilt of the body during this action us term as the rolling of the car.

Trust the matter is clear now.

To know about Rolling' date=' just take out a Maruti Omni with full load and take a turn at say 40 kmph and then you'll know what it mean's. Beware you may topple over and don't try this.[/quote']\

Dont try this. Lots of chance that Omni will topple and will be upside down.

Once while driving a Dzire VDI of our Dad's friend, I faced following-.

At speeds of >80kph, if I took a sharp turn, the Dzire would try to understeer. So I tried to brake. While braking, it made Screeching noise of tyres. After that I was afraid to make sharp turns at higher speeds on that Dzire.

Means Rolling is used to describe how well a vehicle responds turn.

But the Dzire is not as confidence inspiring as our Indigos. I feel more confident at sharp turns in our Indigo than Dzire (May be because the Dzire has Soft Rear Suspension).

Once while driving a Dzire VDI of our Dad's friend' date=' I faced following-.
 At speeds of >80kph, if I took a sharp turn, the Dzire would try to understeer. So I tried to brake. While braking, it made Screeching noise of tyres. After that I was afraid to make sharp turns at higher speeds on that Dzire.
Means Rolling is used to describe how well a vehicle responds turn.
But the Dzire is not as confidence inspiring as our Indigos. I feel more confident at sharp turns in our Indigo than Dzire (May be because the Dzire has Soft Rear Suspension).
[/quote']

This is because of the Small stock tyres of Dezire VDI,

upsize the tyres ...

NO, rolling does not mean how well a vehicle responds to turns.

it indicates the bending of the vehicle to either side on sharp turns. on right turn, the car will roll towards left (the driver & passengers will feel a tilt towards left) & on a left turn, the roll/tilt will be towards right.

SUVs roll more than sedans.

in harsher terms, it is the inclination of the body of the vehicle along its vertical axis!

there are three motions the body encounters, one of them is roll. the other two are yaw & pitch.

Body roll is, when you take a turn, say you take left turn, the car's front turns left but the body will move to right(or sideways) a bit(depends on car's handling). This is more pronounced, when the speed is more.

Thanks all of you.

I think we should create a thread where such terms related to cars and bikes can be discussed so that the persons who don't know about them can understand them easily.

Is there anyone who want to start the thread?

Edited:

I have started a New Thread regarding Difficult Terms related to car and bike "Cars and Bikes terms discussion Thread"

Please visit that thread and try to answer the previous terms or post your own terms (with answers if you know them).

sudeepd2009-02-16 06:55:32

There are three terms for the motion of vehicles' Roll, Pitch and Yaw (borrowed from the aircraft terminology). They refer to the motion on  three axes of the vehicle.

Pitch: is the for horizontal transverse axis. This manifests itself as for and aft movement, i.e., the nose dipping and rising.

Yaw: Does not really apply to cars. This is rotation on the vertical axis.

Roll: this is the rotation on the longitudinal axis. If a car rolls more then in a turn the inside rises more. Excessing body rolls can lead to the vehicle turning turtle, as so aptly described by DurangoDude. In roll the load on the outside wheels increases and the inside wheels reduces. A certain amount of body roll is desirable as otherwise the vehicle suspension may be too stiff and hence uncomfortable.