lovemycar

Ford New Ikon 1.4 TDCi

Hi guys!  Please see my blog of 13th March (above) wherein I had predicted the imminent  price rise of the new Ford Ikon.  Yesterday it was in the news that  the price of only the Ford Ikon has been raised by 1.5% which means we now have to shell out and additional Rs. 7 to 8K. Ford has taken a chance to increse the price of the Ikon because the response has indeed been good as reflected in the sales figures. In spite of the price increase the Ford Ikon TDCi is a good value for money car. I am glad i bought mine before the price rise.

i read the article in ACI march 09..

the spares of ikon are even cheaper thanhat of dzire...

isnt that a nice step taken forward by ford india?

they want to compete with the dzire...

and want more and more ikons to sell..

and it has been priced very competitively...

what do u say people

@SH- Though Ikon TDCI is a brilliant VFM , it doesnt have all the features Dzire offers. Also i heard Ford is planning to increase prices of Ikon model. Maybe they need to launch few more variants in Ikon model.

ford ikon is a vfm package agreed but the dzire is filled to the brim with bells and whistles !!!! ford can never hope to match the japs ie suzuki,honda,toyota in terms of maintainance !!!!

Yes Dzire offers more features like adjustable steering, climate control, ABS, Airbags, clock etc. but they come at a price. If you invest say 6.2 lakhs the features you get are not much more. Maintenance of Maruti-Suzuki  is know to be cheaper but Ford is improving - though a lot more needs to be done. Where the Ikon scores are in looks and handling - they are great . Maruti-Suzuki produces some of the ugliest cars ever made.During their prime (in the 1980's and 90's), M800 Alto, Zen, Esteem, Baleno and now even Swift look good; cars like Dzire, WagonR,  Estillo etc. are in my opinion plain ugly. Of them Dzire takes the cake - undoubtedly the ugliest sedan in India - a Swift with a SX4 size Boot.  When I took my family to the Maruti Showroom they refused to sit inside the Dzire and come for a test drive - the rear seats are cramped and dingly. If looks dont matter and you want to play absolutely safe (good resale value) then go for the Dzire. If you want a econoomical, good looking diesel car with plenty of space for 5 people and a great driving experience then go for the Ikon.

Hey spearhead as rams said go for the Ford iKOn TDCi. its the diesel josh machine in a new avatar..its got a superbly efficient, fabulously torquey 1.4 engine that can make many diesel sedans twice its price run for cover. i have test driven the vehicle and di some spirited driving.. its got a superb chassis and very good stability at speeds above 100kmph but engine noise filters into the cabin. becoz the main fact is Ford is giving the 1.4TDCi engine from the Fiesta at Rs 1.80 lakhs chepear in the iKOn. for that reason it isnt perfectly refined but overall its a superb vfm package. recent price hike is a mere Rs 7000 to 8000 hike over the existing ex showroom price of Rs 5.19 lakhs. like within Rs 6 lakhs budget you will get a swift dzire LDi and it has only power steering and a/c but Ford IKon at this price is fully loaded with power steering, a/c, powerwindows( fr/rr), central locking, Mp3 player,the best rear seat in its class, lovely beige interiors which gives the impression that the car is way much bigger inside than it actually is. meanwhile the dzire has all black interiors, small cramped rear seats, less space compared to ford ikon as it has acres of space and good build quality interiors compared to dzire which has rattling interiors after few months of usage. but as you know Ford's build quality is very strong and infact let me tell you an incident which happened with my uncle: on 30th march 2005, my uncle along with his family went to Bhubaneshwar,Orissa in his friend's Ford IKOn petrol. while returning back to Kolkata they took a short cut and then disaster struck them.. They were travelling in the Ikon at 80 km/ph and got into a flyover when suddenly, the driver realised that the flyover was unfinished or half contructed and in fact in less than 10 mts there was no flyover. just like the Hollywood blockbuster movie SPEED, their ford ikon flew for considerable distance and then landed 40 feet below from the flyover. the car rolled 5 times and then landed just beside some sets of concrete spiked pillars.(luckily the fuel tank and the engine didnt burst under the impact).Due to such tremendous impact the villagers came and rescued them, they got severe injuries but thanks to Ford and THE ALMIGHTY they were all alive. The build quality is so strong that under such tremedous impact the boot of the car didnt break and infact I opened the boot with the car key and every luggage inside were intact and the bags didnt bend or break under such impact ...  Now they are all leading a normal life and the person who drove the Ikon became such a huge fan of Ford that he always suggets people to buy Ford cars because of their strong build quality. infact he recently bought a new ford ikon TDCi. Due to negligence on part of the local administration and highway authority  there was no sign or board saying that flyover was undercontruction at the entry point of the flyover.( Actually only one flank of the flyover was constructed and the other side was under construction and my uncle's car entered the under construction site!) and just a week even after the accident a bus packed with passengers fell from the same flyover and all the passengers were killed...and think about this, my uncle's friend at that time owned a maruti zen vxi along with the ford ikon.. what would had happened to all of them if they fell from the flyover in the maruti zen vxi????? so go for the Ford Ikon TDCi if u want a safe, comfortable, economical, performance oriented sedan..

i would like to say that ur relatives were just very lucky....their survival had nothing 2 do with the ford ikon....by your post you mean to say that ikon is better build than a bus...incredible are your genralisations !!!!!

" i would like to say that ur relatives were just very lucky....their survival had nothing 2 do with the ford ikon....by your post you mean to say that ikon is better build than a bus...incredible are your genralisations !!!!! "--Mehulbhp

Hey mehul what i want to say is that the ford ikon is indeed a well built and strong car compared to all the maruti suzuki cars which have a filmsy build quality. obviously its not better built than a bus but far more well bulit compared to its rivals. and what i meant to clarify is that i was talking about the ford ikon and the maruti zen that my uncle's friend owned. if they had been in the maruti zen they all would have lost their lives...and as u said, their survival has some meaning to do with ford ikon because ford use rigid and galvanised steel for the body of the ikon which didnt break under such an impact.. if it had been a maruti zen it would have had turned into a box of steel.. even after the accident the car was repaired by Ganges Ford and used for more than 2 years and no one could have had believed that the same car met with such a deadly accident....and frankly speaking i do believe that its because of their luck, ALMIGHTY and the Ford car that saved their lives despite no airbags an ABS. what i also want to convey is that we the indian consumers should deserve better because, for instance the maruti alto which was sold in europe till 2006 had abs and airbags as standard so what i mean to say is that ford should give the ABS as an option in the New Ford iKOn TDCi in order to make it more competitive and value for money.. what do u all think? 

you cant compare a small car ie zen and a saloon ie ikon....a saloon genrally weighs more than a ton while small cars weigh till 800 kgs....you have answered it urself only whether it was luck or not when u said that bus is better built than a ikon but still all people died in the bus while due to grace of god ur relatives survived....when ur day is good u will even survive in a 800 or zen and if your day is bad then you wont even survive in a mercedes like the princess diana accident !!!!

Hey man try to understand, i was not comparing the ford ikon with a maruti zen rather i wanted to convey that since my uncle's friend owned both a ford ikon and maruti zen vxi, they would have had got  more badly injured or fatal if they were in  the zen vxi.as u said"when ur day is good u will even survive in a 800 or zen and if your day is bad then you wont even survive in a mercedes like the princess diana accident !!!! "its perfectly correct. look man again am teling u that its not a comparison between Ikon and zen rather look at the irresponsible and ignorant behaviour and action on part of the the administration...if it had been in a develped country the minister of surface transport would have resigned and my uncle's family would get a huge compensation....

yes the administration is to be blamed...infact your uncle should have brought a suit against them for almost killing them due to their negligience...infact i will term their survival as truly miraculous...this is india with a surplus of population their is no value for human life !!!! 

Rightly said mehul but as u know the judicial machinery in india is not as swift as that of europe plus govt depts doesnt believe in accountability as they will blame each other for the road accident.. and as a rsult the case will continue and files will get stored until the victims die natural death and the case gets closed.. as rightly said to solve all the judicial cases in india one needs 300 years to solve all of them!!!!!

you cant compare a small car ie zen and a saloon ie ikon....a saloon genrally weighs more than a ton while small cars weigh till 800 kgs....you have answered it urself only whether it was luck or not when u said that bus is better built than a ikon but still all people died in the bus while due to grace of god ur relatives survived....when ur day is good u will even survive in a 800 or zen and if your day is bad then you wont even survive in a mercedes like the princess diana accident !!!!

Today I read a horrific story in the papers wherein a police inspector and his entire family of six were killed when their Alto crashed against a mango tree near the Goa border. Agreed on a given day you will not survive even in a Mercedes. That does not mean you compromise on safety features and better build. The rules of probability says that your chances of survival are better if you ride a car that is built better and has more safety features.  A sedan is better than a hatchback especially in rear-end collusions. The FOrd Ikon  has a decent build (for its price) but I wish they had at least given us the option for at least 2 Airbags for the front seats.

Ya rams. if ford had offered abs and airbags as optional in ford ikon tdci at that price then it would have had been india's best fully loaded, value for money sedan.. would have eaten Dzire  Zdi's sales.even it is doing without the above features. Its indeed a timely move made by Ford.dont worry may be in future they will offer because tata nano has arrived with a whole lot of features at that low price and every manufacturer as to survive in this highly competitive market. Even Ford is offering ABS as standard in Fiesta ZXi (diesel/petrol) without increasing the price..

For its performance, id say that the ford ikon has good performance in terms of pickup and power. Handling and comfort levels are top notch, which is a requirement for a good sedan :)

In terms of reliability and mileage, Ikon did some tests which you can view here.

You will see the the mileage of this car is very good and the reliability of the car is exceptional.

the ikon does give great mileage. infact, a test drive showed it go over 35kmpl. thats on the highway but it was regularly touching 28kmpl. in the city ofcourse it will not match the same but yes, it does give great mileage. some more interesting factors such as cost per km can also be taken into account.

this will give you some idea of the test drive