dtandon

Tyre options in 155/70 R12

I've been using Goodyear 155/70/R12 tubeless tyres on my M800 and need to replace them soon. Need your suggestions - and would like to explore all possibilities (ie. all manufacturers who have a tyre available in this size)

I would prefer tubeless tyres any day. Primary criteria is good grip and low noise.

Thanks.

try apollo accelere' date=' try down sizing the aspet ratio from 70 to 65.

[/quote']

Are 155/65 R12's available? Do you know how much they are ? (I haven't gone tyre shopping in the past 2 years)

I could only find the 155/70 R12 size in Goodyear when I bought my current set 2 years ago..

What other options are available in this size ? (no Chinese tyres please) Is MICHELIN available in this size ?

Dude, In 12" I don't think you will get any choice. So you will have to stick to what you get though I would love to see fat rubber on your 800. Maybe you could change the rims to 13". Steel rims don't cost much, just a thought.

I switched to 155/70 R12 because I'd end up bending the steel rims on 145/70 R12 - the slightly taller tyre helps my rims stay in shape. Not really looking to switch to 13".

As for fat tyres - Bridgestone Potenza GIII's are avaliable in 165/60 R12 - I've used them on the 800 in my college days (awesome grip and cornering) but they wreaked havoc with the rims - I broke two alloys because of the low profile (my rims would hit the rock on potholes). Had to sell the tyres and 2 rims off for a pittance.

Eventually settled on running 155/70 R12's.

Have a lot of Km's with this tyre size on my 800 - they are an excellent balance - Softer ride and better grip than the standard size (145/70 R12)

Goodyear makes them and Apollo has introduced this size too (after the zen started selling with R12 and the market for R12's grew).

Don't know of a third option - so asked you guys smiley1.gif

PS - can't go back to 145's again (not even 80 profile) - won't want to give up the extra grip - FE be dammed smiley2.gif

I switched to 155/70 R12 because I'd end up bending the

steel rims on 145/70 R12 - the slightly taller tyre helps my rims stay

in shape.

Thats unusual, rims bending with 70 profile tyres, where have you been driving or have you been abusing your car?! smiley17.gif

You should try Apollo then instead of Goodyear.

Thats unusual' date=' rims bending with 70 profile tyres, where have you been driving or have you been abusing your car?

You should try Apollo then instead of Goodyear.

[/quote']

This was in Manipal - wide open roads - but lots of rain and potholes, I was a student back then and me and my 800 did a lot of wandering about to the nearby waterfalls and jungles (most roads around there were anyways "imported" from the moon).

Please don't laugh - or else i'll have to post a ton of pictures of me and my car in the middle of nowhere smiley2.gif

Once I willing drove the car's rear into a stream with about 10" of water so my friends and I could "wash" my car - the front was "sensibly" kept out of the water.

I wouldn't say that I abused my car (was just crazy) - the suspension was fine till 70K km. But the roads were nice enough to bend steel rims and break aloys on 145/70 R12 and 165/60 R12. Kept having to go get the rims hammered into shape (and balancing/alignment) every 1000 Km or so - until I discovered the goodyear 155/70R12's on a trip to Bangalore.

Will definitely try the Apollo's this time around.

What he says about Manipal roads is true. We have discussed this in another thread as well. In fact Maruti changed the wheel size from 13" to 12" in the Zen due to the rim bending problem. My son had a Zen with 13" wheels in Manipal for four years (1999-2003) and needed the rims straightened every few months. He did not try any 'off roading' either. It seems that cars with 13" alloys did not have this problem.

The Apollo dealer (and they are all on the other end of town) quoted Rs 1740/tyre for 155/70/R12.

The goodyear's are available for about Rs1500/tyre in the same size.

Both these prices are for tubeless - Since when did apollo become a (relatively) premium tyre ?

I haven't experienced any of the "good for only one year" problems that others have mentioned on this forum (sidewall bulges, low life, bad grip). So in a fix again - Goa trip planned over the weekend so I need to make a fast decision.

Why don't you try the Tire Manufacturer whose tires came as standard fitment?

Means Go for the Tire Manufacturer which came standard while buying your car but in size of 155/70R12.

I think your car came with MRF as standard (Marutis come MRF as standard, correct me if wrong). So IMO, go for MRF ZVTS 155/70R12.

sudeepd2009-02-19 12:42:12

I recently enquired about this same tire size. I believe you get Micehlins XM1, Bridgestone Potenzas and Goodyears. I dont remember which brand in goodyears though. Also, Another very Good tire is the JK Ultima. They are on the softer side and tear to wear out a bit quickly, but ther are extremely grippy.

Why don't you try the Tire Manufacturer whose tires came as standard fitment?Means Go for the Tire Manufacturer which came standard while buying your car but in size of 155/70R12.?I think your car came with MRF as standard (Marutis come MRF as standard' date=' correct me if wrong). So IMO, go for MRF ZVTS 155/70R12.[/quote']

Most companies use the cheapest tyre (though thankfully - not the chinese unheard of brands) they can find for standard fitment tyres. Yes "cheapest" and not "the best".

And trust me, once you use a better/grippier tyre - you'll never want to go back to the standard fitment stuff.

I recently enquired about this same tire size. I believe you get Micehlins XM1' date=' Bridgestone Potenzas and Goodyears. I dont remember which brand in goodyears though. Also, Another very Good tire is the JK Ultima. They are on the softer side and tear to wear out a bit quickly, but ther are extremely grippy.[/quote']

Thanks Cyrus -

IMHO - The Potenzas are 165/60 R12's - I tend to break rims on this size.

I haven't been able to locate Micehlins in 155/70 R12 size. Would be great if you could share some more details about them.

Will go look at JK Ultima (one bangalore dealer told me they don't make this size)

The GIIIs are good as far as grip is concerned, but they tend to wear out faster than others.

The Apollo Accelleres (check spelling) are pretty decent and good for the price. They are on our long term Fabia and have been performing quite well. Can't really comment on the noise aspect because on the Fabia, I don't find them noisy. Could be different on the 800.

Michelins are generally less noisy, but more expensive.

FRG

Thanks for all the inputs, I did a bangalore - Goa trip on my old tires last weekend (1700Km total) and didn't have any problems(touch wood). The idea was to change tires before the trip but that didn't work out due to time constraints.

Today (back in bangalore) - I hit a pothole going a little fast and blew the left front tire. There ends the saga of my Goodyear's - going for new Apollos tomorrow morning.

I'd heard a lot about Apollo's "unconditional" warranty too - but I din't get tubeless R12's in Apollo. Apollo had Amazer XL's in 155/70R12 but they were tube type! (and IMO - expensive at Rs1800 a pop). Didn't get acclere.

- Michelin has tubeless tires in R12smiley32.gif, but at Rs 2300 a pop and I almost said No. Then I thought, they do claim to improve FE ! -

Anyone think its worth paying an extra 600/700Rs per tire for them? Is there any basis to their claim of improving FE

The dealer had old stock (10 month old) and I told him I'd only buy fresh stock (am now waiting for them). I should mention that they were the only company to respond to my email query (and in a prompt and helpful manner).

- while I wait for fresh Michelins, I am considering buying a Goodyear GPS2 so I can get by (can use it as the spare with the four X1's later - current spare was a cross ply MRF)

Off topic- but did someone on this forum mention that they were looking for OHC VTEC alloys? Came across someone who had them for sale but I don't remember who was looking for them. Was it FRG ?

Thanks rssh.

Any other Michelin users on the forum?

Hesitant because the price difference between four Michelin's and four Goodyear's is significant. The same amount of money will buy me six GPS2's in the same size.

The Michelin dealer is expecting fresh stock by Wednesday.dtandon2009-03-02 12:50:53

smiley1.gif As of about two hours ago - I finally got my rims shod with the Michelin Energy XM1+ 155/70R12's

Cost and arm and (about half) a leg @ Rs2200/tire (plus valve stems). Expensive for R12 tires - and I'm evaluating them against tubeless Goodyear's.

The initial impression was good. The steering got a tad heavier but - that's not a complaint - since it means they do have better grip. There was no discernible improvement in ride quality as felt during the low speed drive back in evening traffic. High speeds should(IMO) be where they'll shine.

Will run-in the tires within the next week or so and provide another update.

The only area that I'm skeptical about is the dealer's claim that they will easily be good for 50K + km's.

For some background - I've gone thru three sets of tires in the last 95K km on my M800. One set of tube type Bridgestone S322's that lasted me only 25K km's (hence my prejudice - I stay away from bridgestones) and two sets of tubeless Goodyear GPS2's that managed 70K Km's between them - ok - but I'd ask for more.

I'm yet to loose a radial to sidewall damage and will be watching out for the Michelins - I've heard a lot of people complain about sidewall damage.

The appropriate driving style is to turn your steering hard when you are climbing up/down the edge of the road or any other rough surface - so the thread can take the impact (instead of the sidewall) .dtandon2009-03-05 15:39:25

Great let us know your experience. I believe Apollo is offering good warranty on its tyres as well.

Checked on this today - Apollo has withdrawn their "unconditional" warranty - seems that it was misused a lot.