ankitj

Tyres for Getz GLX

I just booked a Getz GLX. It comes with 175/65 R15 tube tyres.

Now as soon at I get car I want to switch to tubeless tyres of the same size. ( don't want to upsize.).

Things important to me are:

1) Made for running on bad roads ( bangalore roads).

2) Comfort.

3) Reasonably priced

I was thinking about Michelin Xm1+, but read that they too soft for poor roads, and develop bulges.

Any suggestions on which tyres should I go for, and what should be the apx price, and if there are any good place in Bangalore to do the exchange?

Yep will surely consider Bridgestone Tourenza.

Does anybody have any experience with Yokohoma tyres? Would A drives or C drives serve my purpose.

Also comparing the Bridgestone with Yokohoma which better VFM considering quality, warranty and mileage.

c drives arent available in that size and yoko a drives are just ok. also your car comes with 175/65 r14 and not r15. i suggest you look at 195/60 r14 which will also give you more options like michelin pilot precedas.

To replace the new good year 175/65 14 tube tyres with yokohoma A drive a shop in bangalore is quoting 3100 rs for all 5 tyres and 500 rs for wheel balancing. Bridgestones are (5000 + 500).

Does the yokohoma deal look ok?

actually replacing 175 with another 175,i dont think its worth spending.i suggest use them for a while and them upgrade....i did the same to ma swift zxi which came with 185 used them for an year and upgraded to 205 potenza G3

To replace the new good year 175/65 14 tube tyres with yokohoma A drive a shop in bangalore is quoting 3100 rs for all 5 tyres and 500 rs for wheel balancing. Bridgestones are (5000 + 500).

?

Does the yokohoma deal look ok?

The only thing wrong here is the Rs 500 balancing charge. Most tire dealers give you free balancing for any new tire(s) that you buy from them. Some even offer a free wheel alignment(you don't need that in a brand new car) - but bargain to reduce the balancing charge.

Bridgestone Tires of 175/65R14 costs Rs.3100/- and not Rs.5000/-smiley3.gif in our city Solapur (Maharashtra).smiley36.gif

You can also go JK-Tyre in that size. JK costs Rs.2800/- in our city.

As for Balancing charges, I agree with dtandon. The store should do it for free if you are buying new tires from them.

Also they should quote you around Rs.100-200/- (Hundred or Two Hundred) for each tire if you exchange your Goodyear for new ones as your GYs are Brand New.

All Garages (And May be Authorized Service Centers too) charge Rs.30/- per tire (excluding Balancing Weight Charges) for Wheel Balancing and Balancing Weights charges are around Rs.1.20/-per gram.

So the Balancing Charges for your car would be Rs.150/- for all 5 tires (Rs.30 X 5) plus Balancing Weights Charges (these should be around Nil as your wheels are Brand New and should not require more weights).

MY REQUEST TO YOU: PLEASE USE THE GOODYEARS UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY UTILIZED (FOR THEIR FULL LIFE) AND THEN REPLACE WITH OTHER BRANDS BECAUSE YOU WILL GET PEANUTSsmiley7.gif FOR YOUR BRAND NEW GOODYEARSsmiley3.gif IF YOU EXCHANGE THEM FOR OTHERS.

sudeepd2009-03-03 05:58:05

I am changing tyres just to get tubeless ( for safety), so don't want to upgrade for a biiger size.

The price is the difference I have to pay to get 5 new tyres and give my stock good year tyres.

For balancing the dealer said they  give one free if its steel rims, for my alloys they have to use some special weights so they charge rs 100 a pop.

I am really confused between Touranza and A drives. My biggest concern is possiblity of internal cut/bulging on A drives.

I would advise you not to trade-in your Tube-type tires for Tubeless. Instead use the Original tires to their life and then shift to tubeless.

We own Indigo XL DiCOR which came with Alloys as Standard.

Last week I got the four tires balanced at TASC (Tata Authorized Service Center). They charged me Balancing Charges as Rs.30/- for each tire and Weights as Rs.50/- per Strip (Balancing Weights for Alloys come in form of Sticking Strips). One Sticking Strip contains about 5 X 5gm and 5 X 10gm Weights. That means total 75gms per strip.

So my total balancing Charges will be

Rs.30/- X 4 = Rs.120/-

I don't know much weights did he use but he took 4 Strips from the store and after Balancing gave me the Remaining Half Strip. That is he used about 3.5 strip for all four tires.

I WOULD RECOMMEND YOU USE YOU ORIGINAL TIRES FIRST AND THEN SHIFT TO TUBELESS.

The Dealer is quoting very less resale value for your Original Brand New Tires.

Instead of Getting Peanuts for your Original Tires, ITS BEST TO USE THEM TO THEIR EXTENT AND THEN SHIFT TO TUBELESS.

Also after shifting to Tubeless, don't drive fast over potholes or the tires' sidewalls will get air (I dont' know the word to use here, but I think bulge is correct. Correct me if wrong). We have a lot of experiences in this matter.

@ ankit - the better size for upgradation would be the 185/70 R 14 or the 185/65 R 14

Vishnu, Ankit does not want to upgrade the tires to larger size. He just want to shift to Tubeless from his Tube-Type.

@ ankit - the better size for upgradation would be the 185/70 R 14 or the 185/65 R 14

Yokohoma ' date=' bridgestone n Michilin are the better brands to go for!!

[/quote']

yup i agree with ya.the getz has very skinny tyres for the power it has...185 would be ideal.

well however he is changing right ' date=' so its better to get a better one with slightly better width which will provide better grip , ride n handling!!!

[/quote'] True, 185 are ideal..even my got my Getz's tyres changes and i think it was 175 or 165 i dont remember, mine is GL(base model) and i got 185 R13 Yokohama..