aman_shelke

skoda fabia maintenance issues...

i am just about to buy the skoa fabia....(it'd be my first car)

but as i went through the posts...everybody says skoda parts n maintenance is really bad...!!!  is it so???  if yes, then how much times is it costly than may b a maruti's spares..???

also...does the cost of spare parts actualy matter???

i mean do i have to change a clutch pad every year...or fog lamps every six months??? i mean is change of the spare parts very regular...or is it occasional...i mean once in years???

also, hows fabia as a car,will jazz or punto be better? should i wait?

also...wud fabia giv me ny high maintenance charges for 1st 3 years???

please answer all questions...as i m a rookie in this case...!!!

thanks in advance.

@ Aman- 1st of all if you could search further there are few threads on maint. issues of Skoda. Also it would nt be right to compare Maruti s spares to Skoda's.

Fabia is brilliantly built & loaded, Butttt both petrol & diesel aint refined IMO.

1. Look at i20.

2. Fiat Grande Punto.

3. Honda Jazz

Both Punto & Jazz will be launched between April - June 09. My suggestion is to wait for these beauties and then take a plunge. A.S.S wise Hyundai i20 and Jazz would be cheaper to maintain.

karanraheja2009-02-15 16:11:46

p.s.   m buying the 1.2 petrol ambiente...

Aman,

I personally am in love with the fabia since the day I set my eyes on it in Oct 08, when we were planning to upgrade from our Indica.

As of date the Fabia is the best hatch back in town considering the build quality, interiors and the looks..The interiors and quality can be compared with the best of sedans...but the i20 is a beter package overall..

It has its drawbacks and -ves,but as a package its the best...

a little plasticky interiors

no air bags in magna

no alloys in magna

no very powerful considering its the same i10 engine inside the heavy car.

As i mentioned in the other thread the magna is the best VFM package..Asta only if youhave too much money to spend...

At the last moment my wife decided to go for the i10, so i changed the order,else it was the i20 for her..

I love and will continue to love the Fabia..But I will uy the i20,or may be wait (if I had time) to see what Jazz and GP can offer

Skoda Fabia: a single 'wheelcap' cost's Rs3574. Go to skoda.co.in and check the price's of accessories. If your a social climber or want to impress somebody you can go for Skoda or settle for a Swift or even an i10 and you'll have no regret's regard's aftersales and upkeep. Being a first time buyer I advice you to stay with tried and tested brand's. If your hell bent on the skoda go for a 3 year comprehensive maintainence package and that will buy you peace of mind, I guess. Go for Skoda Fabia Ambiente 1.2 only thing you get is 'perceived' build quality and great handling <??> with a 70 bhp and 10.8 kgm in a car weighing almost 1 tonne, and an engine that's kinda rough, thrummy and underpowered for this car. But as ACI say's will give a lot of "feel good" factor after returning a mileage of say 9 kmpl in the city. After all this I don't know what's there to "feel good" about, check it out anyhow and let me know. Ideally, test drive the 1.2 Fabia, Swift and i10 or i20 and then choose.

p.s.   m buying the 1.2 petrol ambiente...

Aman' date='

no air bags in magna
no alloys in magna
no very powerful considering its the same i10 engine inside the heavy car.

[/quote']

well ashish, its asta the base model and not magna, in magna you get all features with alloys to airbags to abs, just the curtain bags are missing from its top end variant,

Aman, well if its just skoda brand you are looking for then go for fabia, but do get its free maintenance package as well. Even its service costs are far more as compared to others, and as DD said visit its site to get a better idea abt its pricelist, would suggest you to have a look at i20, or wait for jazz,punto.

I think we are obfuscating the point as always.

The cost of maintenance of the Fabia will definitely be at least two to three times that of a comparable Maruti. The high import content will see to that. However, for the first five years/50,000km you need little more than routine servicing to maintain the vehicle.

There have been service issues on Skoda in the past - how much is real and how much hype I cannot say. Having entered the mass market with the Fabia and also brining in more of the VW stable into India, I expect Skoda to address these. Also, as indigienization of the fabia goes up the prices of spares should drop.

well ashish, its asta the base model and not magna, in magna you get all features with alloys to airbags to abs, just the curtain bags are missing from its top end variant,

Sir ..pls check once again.. Magna is base.. Asta is one above and Asta(O) is the Top Model..

Ex-Showroom Prices for MUMBAI - Introductory Price

Model Ex showroom prices (Rs)
i20 Magna 503028
i20 Asta 586907
i20 Asta (O) 609964

Aman,

Iam using Fabia for the last 6 months, I have crossed 5000 kms.

Reg. Maintinence cost - Firstly as it is not right to compare Fabia with Swift or Vista, similarly its not correct to compare there maintinence costs as well. Swift and Vista are very good cars in their own forte as they both are VFM cars, while Fabia is notch above them. Its a premium car in its segment.

Reg. Cost of spares - No doubt the spares are expensive. If your driving abilities and conditions are good then you can't expect to go wrong majorly.

As already rightly written by you, after all you don't need to the clutch plates to be changed every year!

Reg. Service cost - There is a very interesting comparison out here -

Swift diesel - First service at 1000 kms, 2nd service at 5000 kms, 3rd service at 10000 kms. Total cost of services is around Rs. 4000/- in one year. Afterwards every service would be for around Rs 2500 - 3500 every 5000 kms.

Fabia - Ist service - 10000 kms. -- Cost of service - Rs. 4000 - 4500

2nd service 20000 kms - cost of service - Rs. 6000 - 7000

All figures are appox.

Now is skoda servicing really expensive???

Fellow members.. Please advise comments.

@uneet: With the modern service interval of 10,000km or 1 year the Fabia doubles the time between services. so obviously the higher cost is offset by the longer interval.

Thanks for the information

Actually Fabia is Launching their first Service and Parts store at Pune. then After it will be cheap then current status.

Its a Premium cars, you can not compare with Maruti cars. You can see dozens of Swifts. but Fabias are low. Cause Price factor and its a Premium car.

Its a Quality car not economical. If you dont want to change ur car for next 10 years, then quality cars are always prefered. and FABIA is one of them. they are giving so much facilities then other cars.

Honda Jazz is too much expensive.

Thanx. 

I want to buy for next 10 years. is that worth ?

I am afraid even Daimler started engineering with cost in mind about a deacde ago. So (maybe) except for the Lady you may not be able to get any car engineered for that life span. realistically, after about 5-6 years /50,000km you can expect some niggles. I think all reputed manufacturers are equally good or bad in terms of long term durability. A few make light and flimsy cars and are well known.