sudeepd

Cars and Bikes terms discussion Thread

Hi friends,

Lets discuss unknown (difficult) terms here so that others may know them easily. I started the Roll thread earlier, but now think there should be a separate thread for all the terms related to bikes and cars at one place.

These terms can be On-Road-Related or Off-Road-Related and be it Car or Bike. So creating it in "AAA" section.

Before posting new term- Please mention whether it is car-related or bike-related.

Car-Related Questions

1. What is the difference between Anti-Submarine Seats, Bucket Seats, and Captain Seats?

2. What are Ball Joints and Tie-Rods (Suspension-related parts)?

How to identify whether the BJs, TRs or Shock Absorbers are worn out and need replacement? For SAs, should the inner dampers, or outer Springs, or complete SA assembly be replaced?

Do we need to change both BJs, TRs, SAs (We know there are two present each on one end of the same axle) even if only one is worn out or changing only the worn out one (left or right)will do?

Please answer the above terms.

Post your terms (with answers if you know them).

Come on friends,

None of know the meaning of above terms?

Please answer the terms in this thread.

Come on.

I have another one related to car-

The wheels of the car need periodic balancing and alignment.

So tell me, are the Balancing Weights used for Steel Rims different from those used for Alloy Rims or both Rims use Identical Balancing Weights?

A local garage and Tata Authorized Service Center in my city say that both Rims (Steel and Alloy) require different Balancing Weights. The Weights for Steel Rims cannot be used for Balancing Alloy Rims.

How much of this is correct?

PLEASE ANSWER ALL THE ABOVE TERMS.

I know what is camber.

But can anyone tell me how to identify whether a car needs camber setting at the rear.

When I did Wheel Alignment of our Indigo XL, the camber of LH Rear Wheel was (-1.28). But the ideal setting specified by Tata Motors Ltd for Indigo is (0.30).

Can the camber setting of LH Rear Wheel be done to meet (0.30) or not?

The person who did alignment said there is no setting for camber on the Rear Wheels. Only front wheels can be adjusted for camber setting. Is this true?

SG Sir please put light on this.

1. Anti submarine seats stop you from 'submarining', i.e. sliding under the dash in case of accident.

Bucket seats are normal front seats these days as opposed to bench seats.

Captains Seats are luxurious individual seats. often these are rotatable as well.

2.Ball joints are universal joints using a ball and socket type of design. These were used in the front suspension to connect the steering rack to the steering in rwd cars. The Constant velocity joints in fwd cars are a variant.Tie rods were used to 'tie' the front wheel to the ball joints.

If the ball joints/tie rod are worn out you will get a clicking on steering to a side.

Dampers used to be tested by pushing down one of the car and then watching it recover. A well operating damper should not allow significant rebound. Thise test can be very unreliable with modern cars.

In general unless you have a very premature failure, these components should be changed in pairs.

Weights for alloys need a 'wider' clip than those for steel rims. There are some now which can be used on either.

Camber in rear wheels needs to be set only if you have an independent rear suspension. Somehow ifrs is falling out of favour in India.

Camber in rear wheels needs to be set only if you have an independent rear suspension. Somehow ifrs is falling out of favour in India.

SG Sir,

Indigo has Independent Rear Suspension.

But the person who does wheel alignment at Tata Authorized Service Center said Rear Axle of any car does not have Rear Camber Setting. i.e., The Camber Setting cannot be changed on any car.

I know Indica does not require Rear Camber Adjustment (I have seen a chart in TASC stating that Indica does not need Rear Camber Adjustment).

But there was no such information regarding Indigo.

Now I have got the Front and Rear Alignment of our Indigo done at TASC.

In the final report the Camber of Rear Left Wheel is indicated as (-1.28) which is way out of range specified by TATA. The range indicated by TATA for Rear Wheels Camber is 0.00-0.30.

As mentioned above the report says the Camber of Rear Left Wheel is 1.28 and hence the picture of the Rear Left wheel indicated on that report is bent at the upper side. i.e., it indicates Negative Camber.

In fact the camber of all wheels should be positive.

But here it is Negative.

What should be done?

I think you are right. Only the toe in can be adjusted. The camber is what it is (like Popeye I am what I am). You have to live with it. recently a supposedly good tyre fellow refused to align the rear of my accent even though it is ifrs (Verna is not). he claims he has never done the rear of any car! I think the camber f my current Accent (and esteem before that) were both off. The Esteem steering really improved after I got the rear toe in sorted out.

But sir,

The report picture shows that the Rear Left Wheel Camber is Negative.

This will in turn cause the Inner Side of the Tread to wear out Faster than Outer Side of Tread.

THE CAMBER SHOULD AND MUST BE POSITIVE FOR ALL THE WHEELS.

Correct me if wrong.

One more question.

Most of the Cars within 10lakhs Price Bracket are FWD.

But some of them have Transmission Tunnel running across the Gear Lever to Rear Seats which in turn makes the Middle Passenger in Rear Seat Uncomfortable (his legs are not at the level of his fellow passengers but at higher level).

So can someone tell me "If the car has Engine mounted at the Front and its a FWD too, then why this Transmission Tunnel Eats Up Space of Rear Middle Passenger"?

SG Sir, Manish (Sarser), Vibhor, DD would you please explain this?

The tunnel is there for two reasons:

1. Rigidity of the floor pan..

2. It often carries the exhaust and brake piping. Also, there may be a 4WD variant somewhere and it is to accommodate that.

I agree that the 'tunnel' in a fwd car should be non-existent or minimal.

The tunnel is there for two reasons:

1. Rigidity of the floor pan..

2. It often carries the exhaust and brake piping. Also' date=' there may be a 4WD variant somewhere and it is to accommodate that.

I agree that the 'tunnel' in a fwd car should be non-existent or minimal.

[/quote']

But SG Sir,

Some FWD cars don't have tunnel. So how do those cars accommodate Exhaust and Brake Piping?

In ACI Road Tests, I have read that ACI says the Floor Pan of So-And-So Car is Flat and this in turn helps the Middle Passenger to keep his foot Flat on the Floor.

Could you please put light on this matter?

Sudeep.

Still No answer for above One?

Anyways Another One as below.

What is meant by Sedate Driving?

Does it mean carefully, optimistic, avoiding frequent start/stop, etc?

What should be the ideal thickness of A-Pillar in a Car?

Can anything be done to increase the visibility factor of the Cars with Thick A-Pillar?

Which Indian Cars have Slim but Sturdy A-Pillars?