ankitj

blown up muffler will affect mileage?

My old esteem threw tantrums last weekend. In the middle of the drive it became  jerky, with lot of smoke coming out of exhaust, and using lot of fuel. It probably used up 10L of fuel for 50km trip.

UM Cars looked at it today. He says two things

1) The muffler has blown up, costs 4500 for a MGP one and 1800 for non MGP one.

2) Some sensor on the engine is not working, they are still trying to figure out which one.

I asked the service person what will be the side effect if don't fix the muffler. He said there will be some sound (that is expected), but there will also be drop in mileage. I wanted to confirm with people here about the second part. Can a damaged muffler really affect car mileage?

Asking as I am getting a new car soon, and wont be using this car much, so only want to get most important repairs.

My old esteem threw tantrums last weekend. In the middle of the drive it became  jerky' date=' with lot of smoke coming out of exhaust, and using lot of fuel. It probably used up 10L of fuel for 50km trip.

UM Cars looked at it today. He says two things

1) The muffler has blown up, costs 4500 for a MGP one and 1800 for non MGP one.

2) Some sensor on the engine is not working, they are still trying to figure out which one.

I asked the service person what will be the side effect if don't fix the muffler. He said there will be some sound (that is expected), but there will also be drop in mileage. I wanted to confirm with people here about the second part. Can a damaged muffler really affect car mileage?

Asking as I am getting a new car soon, and wont be using this car much, so only want to get most important repairs.

[/quote']

I think FE should not get affected by cracked muffler since the exhaust gases can come out freely.smiley5.gif

But yes the Pollution will be increased since the gases come out in large particles and in large quantities.smiley18.gif

More than Fuel efficiency, It is the overall Engine that will get damaged. I recommend you change the muffler. And yes, FE will drop with a damaged Exhaust system. Also, Mostly, the sensor which you were talking about will be the O2(oxygen) sensor. It is usually mounted on the Manifold. It basically senses the exhaust gasses and thus controls the Air Fuel Mixture.

Every engine is designed for a certain back pressure. So a broken muffler is not advisable. The fuel consumption penalty is however marginal. I remember driving over 300 miles in the UK with a blown muffler and the consumption penalty was near zero. I suspect it is the sensor and/or the ECU playing up. Too much smoke can damage the catalytic converter,