dritzdcool

Which diesel car ?

I am planning to buy a diesel car and unable to decide which one to buy. I drive around 1000-1200kms a month hence I want a comfortable, reliable and fuel efficient car with low maintainence. Good passenger comfort and adequate luggage space will be an added advantage. Budget is max 5.5lacs. I don't want the vista or stile multijet, getz crdi is expensive and not doing well, this leaves me with the swift. Is there any other car which I should consider till I buy it in Aug/Sept ?

Will the punto be launched this year and will be priced within my budget? Is there any news about chevrolet launching the new u-va with a diesel engine?

Hi dritzcool!

Yes, Punto will be launched by this year only but i doubt whether its diesel version will be under your budget of 5.5 lacs or not, and if you are not intrested in vista , palio and getz(as its getting dated too!) then its definately the Swift only.

You have missed ford Ikon. Another car that you have miseed out there is the mahindra logan though I think it is just a little outside your budget. GP will definitely have launched by august and pricing might be doubtful but most probably it will be in your price range.

Also have a look at Tata Indigo CS. It has been just refreshed and you might like it.

Chevrolet is coming up with the beat concept that is supposed to be using 1.3 MJD which chevy jointly develloped with Fiat. For more on chevy this is the link

http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/chevrolets-beat-cng-aveo-u-va-and-a-new-spark-variant/

If you live in delhi you can also look at CNG versions of U-Va, Accent and Logan.

Diesel Logan just goes outside your bill.

There is also i10 diesel coming up which would be another exciting car though than swift.

So there are lots of car for you to decide and get confused oversmiley36.gif

Thank you all for your quick replies. I did miss out the ikon which has a refreshing look and the engine is same as the fiesta1.4 which is reliable. I didn't consider the indigoCS as the front is same as the indica. Is there a new look indigoCS ?

The beat will take some more time to come to the market I guess.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again guys, you are awesome !

Thank you all for your quick replies. I did miss out the ikon which has a refreshing look and the engine is same as the fiesta1.4 which is reliable. I didn't consider the indigoCS as the front is same as the indica. Is there a new look indigoCS ?

The beat will take some more time to come to the market I guess.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again guys, you are awesome !

dritz, Ford ikon is also nice but i didn't suggested you that as you are already tight on budget and i feel if you buy ikon which will cost near to 5.5lacs only, it could be quite heavy on wallet in terms of maintinance, and if you don't need a boot means enough of space for luggage then its definately the swift D only as its maruti so it will be very easy to maintain and you know MSIL has excellent customer service as am a proud and happy MSIL owner! smiley17.gifvibhor2009-03-02 15:16:23

Hi Dridztcool

If your monthly running is 1000-1200 kms. You should not think of buying a Diesel Car. Because it not only costlier & lacks performance but high on maintenence as well.
Ohhh c'mon! 1k monthly run suits for the diesel best!

and who said that diesels lack performance?..buddy,Nowadays diesels are even more refind than their petrol counterparts!

In sub 5.00 lakh segment Diesel Cars are costlier by atleast 50K with their petrol countrpart. That means Paying extra installment of Rs. 2000.00 per month. That nullifies the economy if you travel less than 5000 kms per month. I have owned many diesel vehicle and must advice you that they are more noisy and high on maintenence. Infact Hyndai Accent CRDI was a vehicle with petrol like performance and maintenence, unfortunatly it has been discontinued.

So you quite sure you want a diesel?? I mean for your usage its a toss between petrol & diesel, By May / June you have the Grande Punto and the Jazz launch. Both cars are obviously higher than your budget. But it would be better if you go for newer launches over the Swift which is almost 4 years old. Just my two cents.

I guess GP suits your bill.

Dear vikas jindal, 1000 -1200 is a very good reason to buy a diesel car

and todays diesel engines have very good performance. You need to drive

one before saying that they lack performance. And you need to sit down

with a calculator too. My 5 year old alto logged 115000 in the odo and

I know how much I have spent on fuel smiley5.gif

@dritzdcool

I saw a post by another person in this forum that ford spare parts have been slashed by 30 %. Anyways it would be better if you would just confirm it for yourself.

The front of Indigo Cs matches indica vista. I havent been following the car much so i am not but from what i gather it is more spacious and has better interiors than outgoing version

@vikas

While looking at the use dont just comment on the mileage. Also remember that diesel is cheaper than petrol by 15 Rs. By my calculations if monthly running is more than 800 km and you plan to use the car for 5 years diesel is the way to go.

Hey man just go for new ford ikon tdci duratorq. its a very good competent diesel sedan at such mouth watering prices of rs 5.75lakhs in kolkata(on road).its got a good build quality, nice beige interiors which gives the ikon a genuine big car feel, best rear seat in its class, has a sporty suspension along with a very precise steering and superb body control. its the perfect driver's diesel midsize car with special attention given on driveability. go for it dude and make everyday exciting!!!!!!!

I think a petrol makes better sense. Take Swift for example...the price difference in Petrol and Diesel is 68,000. Given your running you'll only break even after well over 4 yrs. at which point diesel no matter how sophisticated they are these days, will prove heavier on your pocket.

For 5.5 you can get a loaded swift (hatchback) or a sedan like Ford Ikon (petrol or basic diesel with no frills) Accent or Logan (petrol and very basic).  I suggest you seriously consider Maruti Swift or Ford Ikon depending on your needs. If your normal use is only for two adults then Swift is OK. However, if you need to use the car for more than 2 adults and need to a reasonable sized boot for outstation trips then Ikon really fits the bill. The new Ford Ikon looks really good and posh compared to the swift. The TDCi engine is powerful, fun to drive and economical (gives 17 to 20 kmpl). Maruti Suzuki service is really good with low maintenance cost. If you go in for the Ikon then go in for an extended warranty for 3 to 4 years which should prevent major expenses.

Thanks every one for their suggestions, since there is still 3-4 months time till I buy the car, is there any news about any new diesels coming ? I have the SwiftDDS and the Ikon TDCi in my test drive list, others excluded. Have anyone heard about when the i10cdri coming ? It will be a very good option for me if the fully loaded version is availble OTR around or below 5.5L.