sujith3120

indigo cs TDI or used Logan diesel

Folks,

my dad has just sold his indica and we were looking at the foll options:-

indigo cs TDI--Fully loaded model costs about 5 lacs on road coimbatore.

Dzire Petrol Lxi--costs 5 lacs , but no vehicles available at the moment with any of the dealers, so kind of ruling this out.

Indica vista quadra jet--We really wanted to go for a sedan, so ruled this out too.

we came across a used Logan 2007 diesel-DLS{ only power steering and a.c} which has run about 23,000kms.

in my opiniion, a used logan diesel should be better than the indigo cs tdi. We had an indica for about 2 years and the engine noise was just unbearable!

What I want to know is:-

Is the used logan diesel worth it at about 4.5 lacs?

I have heard that the spares of the logan are pretty expensive when compared to that of tata or maruti. Is this true?

All I want is a sedan that will not keep my dad going to the workshop for the next 3 years atleast.

Any logan or indigo cs tdi owners who can comment?

thanks!

Is diesel essential? What is the monthly running?

As far as I know Logan parts are just costlier than marutis or tatas which are lowest in the market.

But be careful when buying used diesel. Try to know why the person is selling the car after just 23000 kms. Else the car is very good VFM package.

Dont know much about the second hand car prices

Yup an used Logan(23k old) is better than new Indigo CS. And yeah Logan's parts are expensive than Tatas and Maruti's. Logan will score over Fuel Efficiency, handling, stability, quality than Indigo.

Technologically the Logan is at least two classes above the TDI (this is still not a common rail unit!).

Spare pricing can be checked in the new issue of ACI.

Most cars do not frequent workshops for 5 years/50,000km.

If you do less than 1200km per year avoid diesels.

Hi Sujith, We own a 2008 Indigo CS TDi. Well the engine noise is too loud. Well to be honest, if we put aside Auto Dimensions aside, this car is very practical. We have run this vehicle for about 10,000 Kms and this car returns a FE in City of about 18 Kms Per Litre. Well  i will seriously not suggest you the used Logan. The New Indigo CS looks much better (with the new headlamps borrowed from Indigo). Infact we did a Indore - Bangalore Trip (Roughly 1400 Kms) and it came here in 2 Tank Fulls. So to sum i would say that if you want practical car then go ahead for the Indigo CS.

As suggested earlier, Ikon TDCi is better than both Indigo CS & Logan. If car is in mint condition, Logan diesel @ 4.5 lakhs is a good deal, though. You have to live with noisy engine if you are going for CS TDi. If you can wait for 2-3 months Indigo based on new vista with Quadra will be here and will serve you perfectly. All the best.

Infact we did a Indore - Bangalore Trip (Roughly 1400 Kms) and it came here in 2 Tank Fulls.

Two tank fulls ! just how tiny is the tank - whats the capacity when filled to the brim?

The logan does that in one full tank (bigger tank I think)

Back to the topic - if you are confident about the condition of the used logan - I would say go for it. Like sigiitk said - its technologically superior and a better car than the Indigo TDi any day.

@dtandon: We had still half tank fuel left when we reached bangalore.  So it was actually only 1 1/2 tanks of fuel consumed. The tank size of Indigo CS is 42 Litres. We had filled upto 37 Litres. I am sure logan also cannot do that in one full tank.

@sujith- I think it would be worth waiting for the Indigo vista Quadrajet. As far as logan is concerned the 4.5L deal is worth considering and Surely Logan is superior to Indigo CS TDI.

Sujith,

I would advise you to go for Indigo CS TDI if you can not wait until the Indigo Vista is launched.

The Maintenance of Logan is very Expensive. The Spare Parts and also the Servicing Costs (of Logan) are Expensive. Every Servicing costs you more than Rs.5000/- plus the cost of Spares or Lubes Extra (I think CrazyCat will be able to explain about this Better as he owns a Logan Diesel).

You can view his "Review of Logan" at

PLEASE GO THROUGH THE LOGAN 50,000KMS REPORT COMPLETELY (FROM FIRST PAGE TO LAST PAGE) BEFORE BUYING IT.

So think over it. The logan no doubt gives brilliant Fuel Efficiency and is refined as compared to Indigo CS but the Servicing Cost and Spares of Indigo CS are A LOT Cheaper as compared to Logan.

Even if you are fed up by Your Old Indica Diesel, I will recommend you to go for Indigo CS (or wait for Indigo Vista if you have time).

Sudeep.
sudeepd2009-03-04 12:24:49

@dtandon: We had still half tank fuel left when we reached bangalore.? So it was actually only 1 1/2 tanks of fuel consumed. The tank size of Indigo CS is 42 Litres. We had filled upto 37 Litres. I am sure logan also cannot do that in one full tank.

Off topic - but the logan tank can hold a lot more fuel (more than 50 L) - so it does that distance in one tank. Logan print ad's used to scream about that. Not that I'm suggesting that anyone base a buying decision on the size of the fuel tank smiley2.gif

I own a logan diesel and have driven it over 20K in the past one year. My service costs have been relatively low - bills in the range of 3-4K (don't have details offhand).

I don't think its spares are expensive - but then - expensive is a relative term - they are cheaper that ford parts and about the same as maruti's.

For the logan's parts cost, refer this link - Parts price comparison

My service costs have been relatively low - bills in the range of 3-4K (don't have details offhand).

Please see the Report of CrazyCat and then tell me whether the Servicing Costs are Cheaper or Costlier.

Read this CC's Report of Logan.

The Service Center charged me of such parts at 60' date='000kms, which we have not changed of pur DiCOR XL even after crossing 73,000kms.

Each Service Costs around Rs.4000-5000/-.smiley3.gif

I don't understand why so much money is charged for just Washing the Car, Cleaning the Air Filter (also the charges of Oil and Filter Change for every 10Kkms).

Rs.4000 for the following =>

1.Washing the Car (Normally it costs Rs.200-250/- at local Garages)

2.Cleaning the Air Filter (Its costs Rs.50-100/- outside)

3. Oil and Filter Change (Rs-75-125/- outside)

So local Garage charges 250+100+125=Rs.475.

How come Rs.4000/-

I don't think its spares are expensive - but then - expensive is a relative term - they are cheaper that ford parts and about the same as maruti's.
For the logan's parts cost, refer this link - Parts price comparison

The link you have given says

1.Oil Filter of Indigo DiCOR is Rs.241/-

But we own Indigo XL Grand DiCOR and it uses the same Oil Filter as that of Normal Indigo.i.e., Rs.160/-

2. Air Filter Element of DiCOR is 1163/-

But we use SAME Air Filter Element for DiCOR as Normal Indigo.i.e., Rs.235/-

3. The Rear Shock Absorber of DiCOR costs Rs.4191/-

The Rear SA of DiCOR is SAME as Normal Indigo.i.e., Rs.3236/-

If you dont believe me, I will post the Pictures of the parts (Oil Filter, Air Filter Element, Rear Shock Absorber) of both of Our Indigos (LS and XL) in upcoming days.

Thanks sudeep. I've been following CC's post too (since another Logan owner's experiences are something I'd be interested in).

As for the parts prices - I'm just sharing a link to the logan website. Not vouching for the correctness of the information. Its quite possible that its incorrect/outdated.

You know very well that dealers often try to push you to change unnecessary parts - So that could have been a factor in CC's bill's.

All I'm saying is that my experience has been different (reasonable servicing costs).

You know very well that dealers often try to push you to change unnecessary parts - So that could have been a factor in CC's bill's.

Check the manual of Logan. All the changes mentioned on it are only done. How much has your Logan clocked? Did you do any paid service?

CC -

There's two logan D's in the family - One that's done only 20K km (dad's) and the other that's got close to 50K on the odo (my uncle's car) - Know someone at the mahindra dealer and the service advisors's agree with that the part replacement schedules err too much on the side of caution (Belts etc. only need to be examined for abnormal wear and tear at 50-60K)

Like FRG mentioned - Renualt is probably trying to play it safe. Try to get hold of a service manual for the car - that should clear all doubts. I did find some manuals but they were in Romanian smiley18.gif

Offtopic - but can someone help with leads to the service manuals for this car ? Please.

Also, look at it this way - if this car required a lot of costly upkeep - it would have never worked as a "low cost" car internationally (since the cost of labor is a lot higher and constitutes a bulk of the service costs).

I'm not discrediting your experience - it has pushed me to look for a good service/workshop manual for this car. It's a good thing to have as you can fall back on it when you suspect that the Dealer/Service Engineer is trying to take you for a ride.

What I've learnt from 15 years of maintaining cars is - Don't let your car out of your sight when its getting serviced. If you do - be ready for exorbitantly inflated bills.

PS. I'm reminded of such con artists literally everyday when I start my M800's engine - as per my service engineer, my car needed a new cylinder head and an immediate rebore + new pistons, rings, valves etc. when the head gasket was changed 15K km ago. And he advised me to get all that done without taking the trouble of doing a compression test on the engine.

I drive past that showroom every single day - with a car that's in its prime of health (giving me 15Kmpl in the city and the engine isn't even burning any engine oil).

I've rambled on and gone off topic quite a bit. Time to sign off smiley1.gifdtandon2009-03-04 20:51:39

@dtandon: Logan has a 50 Litre Tank Vis-a- Vis Indigo CS 42 Litres, When u brim up your tank does your car run for 1400 Kms?????? I really dont think so..

@sgiitk: Indigo CS 1st Service is at 5000 Kms & then onwards the service intervals are at 10000 Kms

No reply from Sujith.

Is he there or just taking we members on a ride?smiley12.gif

Sujith,

If you are so much concerned about the Engine Noise, I would recommend you Indigo CS Petrol. It is much silent than Tata's other Diesels (but not smooth as Hondas and Toyotas).

You have not mentioned your monthly usage.

And I agree with DTandon that the Dealers and Service Centers take the customers on a ride whenever possible.

I would give here my example. Sorry for off-topic (I don't know whether this is off-topic)

When our Indigo crossed 52Kkms, the Coolant use to come out from Auxiliary Tank's cap (ONLY ON HIGHWAYS AND THAT TO DRIVING FOR 25KMS AT SPEEDS OF 90-100KPH). On asking the Dealer he said "The Head Gasket has gone. It will have to be replaced".

Now the Odo reading is 73Kkms. Still I am using the car in same condition. No problem except the Coolant Spillage on Highways. No spillage in cities.

hey,

i could not access my internet connection as my landline was down! by the way, i'm not that type of a guy who posts threads just for the heck of it.. I really needed some info on indigo cs and Logan and that is the reason I started this thread. Thanks a ton for all your valuable inputs! My dad has still not decided on the car. He wants to go for the indigo cs, but I'm sort of against it. I have not had a look at the used logan as I live in Bangalore and my dad stays at coimbatore. I presume my dad has sufficient knowledge to verify the condition of the used logan.

The main reason I dont want a indigo CS TDi is that by dad had an indica for just 2 1/2 years, self driven, well-maintained. But the engine noise has just become unbearable and I feel the handling and feel of the car is so rugged! May be i feel so because I drive a swift dzire diesel, I dont know! Off topic, my dad has always driven the tata sierras, MM 540s, padiminis and finally a indica. I have driven all of these too but the fact is that a car like dzire or a logan is so much better to drive. Even though its an used logan, i'm sure it would hold up better after a couple of years than a indigo. No offence to any of the indigo owners. It is a hardcore practical car.

And to those who suggested ikon diesel, it is well over our budget of 5 lakhs. it costs 6 lakhs otr.

My dad drives about 1000kms a month on an average, so i guess that demands a diesel eh..