karan_4n

got problem with RPM

Hi guys..

I m riding a bajaj p-150,2005 with alloys.

i brought it from delhi to nagpur as i am studying here.

6 months back i got it short handled n everything remiand untouched. Bike was still smooth going.

10 days back i came back from home and found that some thing wrong with my RPM.

Tried fixing it but could not. went to mechanic and he said its due to accelerator cable stretching of the short handle.

but then why wasn't this there before??

went to my known mechanic and on his suggestion got its one valve changed and alongwith that got my engine head too cleaned.

this worked for not more than 1 day and again same problem.

whenever i press clutch to shift up/down gear (the RPM is supposed to come down instantaneously) the acceleration remains same for few seconds or even increases RPM then slowly comes down.

although i repair most of the parts of my bike on my own but this has gone far beyond my reach.

i am seeking advice friends...please help me out.

thanx FRG.

but if it is an accelerator cable problem,why didnt this happen before???

and ya the outer cable makes sure that the inner moving multiple strand iron wire moves freely.

In the old bikes or most of the bikes the cable directly goes into the carb,so the outer cable may hamper the inner movement.n thus the acceleration.

But in pulsar there is a spring system (i guess thats called the butterfly system) attached to the end which is then attached to the carb.

so even if you hold that spring n move it up n down.the bike accelerates w/o even touching the accelerating cable.

please correct me if i am wrong.

Hi Karan i bet that your engine rpm does not come down when ur up shifting because of the short handle, because of your short handle, the accelerator cable is getting stuck somewhere, that's the reason why your RPM doesn't go down.

I think rugs_tachy is correct. The cable is getting stuck somewhere (may be at around the ignition lock or behind the speedometer) and that is avoiding the free movement of cable which leads to No Proper Response.

so what you people suggest??

what kind of change does it want now??

i have tries changing the position of acceleration cable too. opened it and made it go through under the front lamp. but it didn't work. smiley6.gif

Put back the Original Handle Bar and check if it still persists??

You did not face this problem immediately after you shifted the Handle Bar with a Short One, right? This is because the cable was not having any routing problems at that instant. But as time passed, the inner cable is not working freely. So you should try replacing with Original One.

I think Replacing back the Handle Bar should solve the problem.smiley2.gif

I'm no two wheeler expert but you might be able to check this by disconnecting the cable from the handle and running the engine with the cable disconnected from the throttle. See if the cable moves freely - and then bend it in a way that's close to how it fits to the throttle on the handle bar.

This should tell you if the problem is indeed because of the new handle. If yes, then you can try retrofitting a different cable(maybe from some other bike) or go back to the original handlebar.

thanx dtandon.....you are right..as in in terms of the explaining..

for so long i've been trying to make everyone understand this only. that with new butterfly system outside the pulsar carb.. the cable plays no role.i tried accelerating directly from the butterfly too. n the RPM did the same stupid thing again. which means that i got problem with something else..,n not the cable..

n thats what m trying to figure out..

thanx dtandon.....you are right..as in in terms of the explaining..

for so long i've been trying to make everyone understand this only. that with new butterfly system outside the pulsar carb.. the cable plays no role.i tried accelerating directly from the butterfly too. n the RPM did the same stupid thing again. which means that i got problem with something else..' date='n not the cable..

n thats what m trying to figure out..[/quote']

Did you remove the cable from the right hand side of the Handle Bar and then tried whether the behaviour is same or not?

Because if you did not, the inner will not move as smoothly as needed causing the outer covering of the cable to obstruct the free movement of the inner..

Please remove the cable from the Handle Bar and if possible try to keep the cable straight, so that no bends will stop the accelerator cable from behaving as intended. Then start the vehicle and see whether the Engine behaves as intended or not.

I am sure the outer (Black) covering of the cable is obstructing the inner from smooth movement.

Lubricate the inner with Oil and try to keep the bends as minimum as possible and see.

I own Pulsar 180 DTS-i (LCD).

If I pushed the part of Accelerator Cable which is under the ignition lock (or Speedometer) downwards, the rpm increases (even if I did not turn the Accelerator towards me).

But that occurs only if I pushed it from under Speedo, otherwise the accelerator is behaving properly.

EDIT:

I request you to disconnect the cable from Handle bar (and not from the carb) and check for proper operation. If you go to local garage, they will take you for a ride.

sudeepd2009-03-10 14:48:03

thanx Sudeepd..yeah i did so.

i dont prefer much going to mechanics.

i have prepared my own tool set and i work on my own.

Except for engine i repair all my bike problems..

but still unable to resolve this.. :(

Did you try the procedure as I said for my pulsar. Means to push ( read press) the cable in the middle of it and check whether the rpm increases like in my case (see above post).

If does then the cable is problem (not allowing free movement of the inner), if not then its some other problem. As Dtandon and I advised, removing the cable from handle bar and checking the working of cable should have solved your problem.

I am not understanding, even if you replace the handle with original one, why the cable is troubling.

Accelerator cables generally do not have any problems. I'l give you a simple advide, first check if the Choke is in its proper position , cuz even if it is engaged a little bit, the engine Rpm's get fuzzy. And BTW when you change gears Rpm's will not come down instantaneously as you've said, the rpm's come down when you lift off the throttle and engage the clutch. IF the acceleratir cable is damaged then thats why ur engine keeps revving.

So now which Handle bar are you using the Original or Short?

Anyways its good to see the problem disappeared.

If you face this problem again, try lubricating the Acc Cable.