Sign in to follow this  
rssh

Future Improvement for P-220

The pulsar 220 has created a benchmark in Indian bike industry but has it got enough to spoil the party i.e. Karizma. Lets see .

Pulsar 220 had its beat rolling 20 months before its actual launch it has great styling but some people (40%) say that its like putting some fancy stuff at the dealer .I don't understand that why havn't Bajaj stuck to the black theme with the engine the p_200 & 180 look better in respect to this theme. The components like fuel tank rear styling have been simply carried over to this beast which is quit a common sight.

One buying this bike (91k) will see to it that it looks different to the others(except front lamp). It does not have engine bay couls like in Karizma and RTR160. Long riders will get back ache after 45 minutes ride as there is less leg support. Bajaj should have sticked to refine more of the gearbox as they have not made excessive design change.The 200 looks better as it has evolved from 220 (i think) and has taken its good features. 

The rear disc brake don't have a bite to it as in hard braking they tend to slip needs ABS. The handing is superb at speeds but very poor at city speeds due to heavy front.

P-220 is like SX4 which is full of goodies but lacks refinement .The HH Karizma is like the City which has refined a lot.{HONDA}

I am not complaining ,even i will buy the P220 instead of Karizma but after a good upgrade expected in about 2 yrs.smiley2.gif
rssh2007-10-16 20:04:59

I am a Pulsar 220 owner and I have just completed 500 KMS on it.  I think I can comment on the Pulsar 220 better than most persons. So here are my replies on the Pulsar 220.

The pulsar 220 has created a benchmark in Indian bike industry but has it got enough to spoil the party i.e. Karizma. Lets see .

Pulsar 220 had its beat rolling 20 months before its actual launch it has great styling but some people (40%) say that its like putting some fancy stuff at the dealer .I don't understand that why havn't Bajaj stuck to the black theme with the engine the p_200 & 180 look better in respect to this theme. The components like fuel tank rear styling have been simply carried over to this beast which is quit a common sight.

One buying this bike (91k) will see to it that it looks different to the others(except front lamp). It does not have engine bay couls like in Karizma and RTR160. Long riders will get back ache after 45 minutes ride as there is less leg support. Bajaj should have sticked to refine more of the gearbox as they have not made excessive design change.The 200 looks better as it has evolved from 220 (i think) and has taken its good features.[/quote'] 

Agreed that the Gearbox of the Pulsar 220 isn't perfect BUT it is the BEST Gearbox among the other Pulsars. The Pulsar 220 gearbox does lack feel and care needs to be taken to find the neutral, BUT the grear changes are smooth and I haven't missed a gear till now. 

The rear disc brake don't have a bite to it as in hard braking they tend to slip needs ABS.

Boss, ABS is required when wheels tend to LOCK under heavy braking and NOT when brakes don't have bite. ABS automatically releases the pressure on the brakes so that the wheels are freed and the vehicle can be controlled.

The rear brakes of the Pulsar 220 don;t have as much grip as the front disc brakes BUT combined with the front brakes, they are capable of stopping the bike quite effectively.

The handing is superb at speeds but very poor at city speeds due to heavy front.

I have found the handling of the Pulsar 220 the most neutral among the other front heavy Pulsars (150/180). Just because the 220 has a heavy looking front doesn't mean that the Handling is front heavy.

P-220 is like SX4 which is full of goodies but lacks refinement. The HH Karizma is like the City which has refined a lot.{HONDA}

I am not complaining ,even i will buy the P220 instead of Karizma but after a good upgrade expected in about 2 yrs.smiley2.gif[/quote']

So far I have found my Pulsar 220 the smoothest Pulsar that i have ridden ever.

Thanks for good advising but the brakes in pulsar have no bite means that when we apply half the lever they dont stop fast and on heavy braking they lock their is no middle positioning to it . Even I have ridden pulsar 220 for atleast a week because my friend could not pick it up from the showroom and I had ridden it first about 3 months back.

Thanks for good advising but the brakes in pulsar have no bite means that when we apply half the lever they dont stop fast and on heavy braking they lock their is no middle positioning to it . Even I have ridden pulsar 220 for atleast a week because my friend could not pick it up from the showroom and I had ridden it first about 3 months back.

No problems from my side whatsoever..

The rear are good enough to cut speed.. Coupled with the execellent front Disc brake, the Braking has been no problem at all..

well then the problem would be of this specific 220 .The rear brakes of 200 are better even if it is some what lighter.

The brakes of 220 are fine even the rear but we tend to think that the rear brake (disc)should be as good as front but if can never be as the weight distribution on each brake is different .If you want more bite to the rear brake then install double or triple callipers mostly found on superbikes.

Well a brake is a brake....but discs are obviously superior to drums.....if you expect the rear wheel to lock up like in drum....sorry u better ride something thats technologically less advanced.....

The rear disk lacks the bite of the front disk for a specific reason!! I don't get why do people have point out that bajaj goofed up....

If somehow bajaj being less intelligent would have provided the rear discs to be just as hard as the front....lots more accidents would have taken place and people would again critisize bajaj for making the brakes too powerful...

Damn....never be satisfied......

The 220 stops just as good as any other bike...and it does it much more safely! If your the kind of a person who use the rear a bit too much....then I think you need some lessons in bike braking 101!

We should always use rear brake before than the front to give a calm stop but the rear discs just feel as a drum ,I don't think there is a need to spend extra bugs on rear disc if we get same performance of drum.

Use the rear before the front.....dude u seriously need to take lessons on braking....

the front / rear distribution should be 70 / 30 %....with front being used to slow down...and the rear to compliment the braking! And don't hit clutch just yet...let the engine do the braking! When the rpm is right...just down shift.....

On highspeed hitting the rear brakes first will make the bike deviate outta line!!!And you don't wanna do that!

@rssh: using the rear brake first will make most bikes go waggy tail!!

Ok tell me something...why do you think all bikes have bigger front brakes (drums or discs) compared to rear brakes??

Someone save this guys life yaar.....

"No one goes beyond 80kph on their bike in India."

Wat?????You thought that up yourself? Amazing.....wakeup see the world man...... I do a 80 on 100cc dio....when I ride back from work to home! And thats the max it can go the day I get my 220.i'd happily ride back home at 120.....Do you live in area with no roads??

Dude I've lived in mumbai for 9 years of my life....and i visit mumbai once to twice a year for the past 5 years....but I don't hear comments like no one in India drives faster than 80.....man heard of the bandra worli sealink? or marine drive ....damn...even the mumbai pune expressway is there....

Fine....your braking techniques are better than mine....:P!

Fall once...and remember my braking style...apply it to never fall due to faulty braking......

Peace....

Im outta this discussion!

Well a brake is a brake....but discs are obviously superior to drums.....if you expect the rear wheel to lock up like in drum....sorry u better ride something thats technologically less advanced.....

The rear disk lacks the bite of the front disk for a specific reason!! I don't get why do people have point out that bajaj goofed up....

If somehow bajaj being less intelligent would have provided the rear discs to be just as hard as the front....lots more accidents would have taken place and people would again critisize bajaj for making the brakes too powerful...

Damn....never be satisfied......

The 220 stops just as good as any other bike...and it does it much more safely! If your the kind of a person who use the rear a bit too much....then I think you need some lessons in bike braking 101!
[/quote']

After completing 800 Kms on my Pulsar 220, I totally agree with you Praful..

Initially I did feel and comment that the Rear Disc Brakes should have had better bite like the front disc. 

But after having applied sudden brakes so many times in the city, I can now safely say that Bajaj consiously gave the rear disc less bite..

The current set up of Rear and Front Discs  are perfect to stop the bike in a very stable manner.. 

Now I personally feel that had there been any more bite in the Discs, it would have probably made the bike unstable by sliding around (the Pulsar 220 is a heavy bike at 150 Kgs). 

There is a difference between Commenting on Cricketers and having the talent to take up the cricket bat/ball and playing in front of 100 crore people.

But then doing the former is so so easy for anyone.. smiley1.gif

Pic of my Pulsar 220..  and the "Good and effective" Rear Disc Brake..

4ktk328.jpg

payeng2007-11-03 12:11:24

Hi Payeng what do you think lack's in 220 other than discs .To me the black theme should have been followed.

I say it once more the Dics are Ok..

Improvements can be..

• Yes, Black Color, at least the alloy wheels would be great.
  • Also better designed rear view mirrors and rear grab rail should be included.
  • Maybe a new design along with an All new tank as well..!!

They should really improve the brakes, specially the rear one. My 220's been driven a little over the 1000Km mark and the rear brake makes a loud screeching sound whenever used. The service center people say its just dust and after they clean it there's no sound for a couple of days then they start screeching again.