Sign in to follow this  
anjan_c2007

The Mahindra CLASSIC CL340 Needs to be Back

The Mahindra CLASSIC CL340 was a shortlived UV in the market scene.Its tech specs in brief that I will quote from Auto India Aug 1997 issue Car Buyers Guide are:

The Mahindra Classic is listed as the CL 340 with a 2112cc (XDP 4.90 Peugeot engine) /4cyl/62bhp engine/length 3350mm/wheelbase 2030mm/Ground clearance 175mm/Kerb Weight 1245Kg and price Rs 386,278=00p (Mumbai).The gearbox was the Kia KMT90 4 speed.

It is the legitimate heir to the old CJ3B, RHD version.It was exported too to Australia and parts of Europe.

It had the chrome bull bar as OE with the tough, rugged jeep look. However it had the delicate wire wheels for a while, which were very soon done away with and swapped for metal discs. It came in the soft-top version all through its model life.The sporty front seats were quite comfy but for the rear occupants, comforts were messed up.The rear was the best for luggage.

"The Classic is happy rock climbing or mud hopping where the torquey engine and low gearing could pull it through any situation" according to Auto India  Dec 1996.

With leaf springs in all the four wheels and live axles the ride was much like a crude UV.

Its time for revival for the CLASSIC, CL 340 with modern suspensions (front independent), the new 2498cc/CRDe doing its duty for new Boleros, a new dash with tacho,MP3/CD player, AC (optional for hardtops) and so on. The rear can be made more occupant friendly as M&M,R&D has grown by leaps and bounds over the past 13 years.

The overall length of 3350 mm makes it way below the small car norms of 4000mm and if M&M can shop for a BS IV compliant, torquey, sub 1500 cc diesel, the Classic will also enjoy excise concessions. All this apart, parking woes with the present line-up of longer Mahindras in cities and metros can be very well resolved.The cost of around Rs 6 L will make it a India top ten best seller much like the Bolero in 2008-09.

So hope M&M is listening. FuelRunGod2009-03-11 08:19:12

i think you are talking about this one Anjan,
Photo_0004.jpg

well this was really very good and it should do a comeback , i dont know why but mahindra should again bring their some old vehicles back especially open jeeps, i loved them and still i always think to have one..I have seen a Bolero(Converted my Mahindra into open) and that also looks very good...
I hope Mahindra is listening and any open jeep by M&M should be there in 3.5-4.5lacs only..
FuelRunGod2009-03-11 10:41:58

I always dream of owning a car like this, simple and rugged. But i'm not that much confident about going for this, fearing its reliability/niggling problems. If a new one in showroom is available for the above mentioned price, i will go for it.

Needed thread, thanks Anjan.

I've always admired the Classic, had a chance to buy it then but as luck had it, got the Gypsy instead. Mahindra withdrew it prematurely though, reasons for it are still not clear though.

Probably Mahindra wanted to go upmarket leaving that crude Jeep manufacturer tag behind. But I always maintain that one should always stick to ones roots & Mahindra better do that.

There's not 1 good Jeep from their stable right now, I've never liked the Invader, with long wheel base & "ugly" looks. Yes FRG, I read  that off-road story about Major, but the written matter was limited to specs. & a little more I guess!

Mahindra must come up with a Jeep again, they will surely find a lot of takers.

Classic is the first choice, but even a 550 would be welcome, just send something!

Yes Anjan the Sovenir is really good but then its priced close to 6lacs which is too expensive for a Mahindra jeep..it should be around 3-3.5 or 4lacs max...

Also check out Bolero Inspira and Bolero Stinger on Mahindra-customisation.com

I loved the mahindra Insipira

there are still people wanting to see mahindra classic l340, i've driven once of a friends and man what a gr8 feeling that was to drive which just went with ease on his farm, didnt understood the reason of mahindra of taking it back from market.Red and Black classic looked damn cool,

A Mahindra CL 340 Classic<div id="mediaDiv">tmp3393.jpg</a>

Oh i just love this one, i have driven this one of my cousin's friends and it isnt that heavy to drive as it looks and even without power steering it was good to drive..i hope Mahindra brings it back..

Anjan why dont you write to Mahindra asking them why they chose to discontinue this..

BTW, somedays back i drove my friends jeep and it has renault engine and was from Rajasthan, its engine was good and silent but that jeep wasnt in mint condition..

There is demand among offroading community for a Jeep & due to no choice at all, they won't mind such old egs. coming back to life.

But frankly the market otherwise has moved so forward that consumers are demanding for basic creature comforts. Afterall there's no rule that Jeeps have to be uncomfortable!

Also, the climate in our Country is not ideal for the use of Jeeps. Imagine the noon sun over the head & all the dust/smoke on  mouth, I won't want to be in such a situation!

But die hard Jeepers have their own logic & don't mind getting every bone in their body rattled, they sure are standing in line for such egs.

For the next post: Well, for fun sakes or as a secondary/tertiary car, market is limited. There are far better options available now in the form of Scorpio/Safari/Bolero which confirm to current market dynamics.

Exception being hardcore offroad use, then again market is limited!

Also, introduction of such Jeep at ~ 6L will throw it out of contention & anything less will not let the company make kind of profits its used to.

speed2009-03-19 10:39:59

Well the person who dream to own or own a jeep has this car as Extra car for occasional use, Otherwise to use it in noon or rains they have other cars too so yes its not practical but its only for some fun ...Like many people keeps this kinda vehicles at their farmhouse,etc..

Hi, Just read the great following on the CL340. I have just bought one in a rough condition and looking forward to restoing it.Can you please tell me how to get hold of a spare parts manual and a supplier. I live in the indian ocean , on an island, so importing is the norm for everything. Look forward to hearing from another enthusiast.

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on your new buy!

Well, I guess you would have to take it to a local garage to restore, find an old one.

Im not sure about the service manual too, it could be a little hard to procure one.

But wow, you live in an awesome place, post some pics for us to savour, if you can(both the place & the Jeep)! 

How Did I miss this thread????? Anyways...We use to have a CL 340. MH 01 P 8300......I sigh everytime i think anout her!! I loved that car soo much that I actually cried when my Dad had to sell it!! Anyways..There is a light at the End of the tunnel............. smiley1.gif

A Mahindra CL 340 Classic<div id="mediaDiv">tmp3393.jpg</a>

Oh i just love this one' date=' i have driven this one of my cousin's friends and it isnt that heavy to drive as it looks and even without power steering it was good to drive..i hope Mahindra brings it back..

Anjan why dont you write to Mahindra asking them why they chose to discontinue this..

BTW, somedays back i drove my friends jeep and it has renault engine and was from Rajasthan, its engine was good and silent but that jeep wasnt in mint condition..[/quote']

i am having willys jeep of 1954 model it is an nice i modified fully now i am looking for mahindra classic CL340 seat for my jeep i like mahindra ony to use in hill area is an lovely vech,,,,,,,,,,,e to use ,,,,