Durango Dude

Superb Cannibal !

The Skoda Superb was launched yesterday, with a price tag of Rs.18.8 lakh exshowroom N.Delhi. With the Laura topend retailing at close to 20 lakhs. I think petrolhead's among Skoda lover's may plonk in for the bigger Skoda than the Laura. Now the Superb has been priced soo close to the Laura that it'll definitely cannibalise sales of the Laura. What say?

Whatever the price, even if it is close, the Laura is going to have a hard time. The Superb is actually very good. The 1.4 (EDIT: No it's a 1.8litre) TSI engine is brilliant, both an eager performer and fuel efficient too. Love the DSG box and the touch screen audio system. Full marks to the Superb from my side.

FRG
FuelRunGod2009-03-11 17:16:30

Yes, indeed new Superb looks like its going to dessimate the competition, but it really doesn't have any competition at this price point. Actually Superb's ideal competitors are A4, C-Class, 3Series, but they are much highly priced. Now, Superb has to just outclass the Accord, & on paper it sure looks to do so!

Petrol model for enthusiasts, but chunk of sales would come from Diesel variant.

Will have to TD soon to give a verdict!

I think with the new plant coming up and this price strategy skoda is bound to reduce prices of all its models.

Lets see what happens if Octavia enters into Corolla-Civic price range.

Read this article

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Skoda-Auto-India-looking-at-revamping-its-prices/articleshow/4251079.cms

Skoda head says that all its model are going to be aggresively priced. Hopefully this brings down price of fabia as well.

rahul18102009-03-11 17:46:32

I think with the new plant coming up and this price strategy skoda is bound to reduce prices of all its models.

Lets see what happens if Octavia enters into Corolla-Civic price range.

Read this article
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/News/News-By-Industry/Skoda-Auto-India-looking-at-revamping-its-prices/articleshow/4251079.cms

Octy is already in the Corolla and Civic range...I'd like to see it in the Honda City/ Hyundai Verna diesel range.

@DD
My mistake DD. But ya it would be interesting to see which diesel wins if it were brought to that price range. Will be Octy for me.

Even the octy if brought to the City/Verna range. Just compare the A.S.S Cost. Octy will empty your wallet when compared to the hyundai or honda.

rki20072009-03-13 03:15:20

@DD

My mistake DD. But ya it would be interesting to see which diesel wins if it were brought to that price range. Will be Octy for me.

Even the octy if brought to the City/Verna range. Just compare the A.S.S Cost. Octy will empty your wallet when compared to the hyundai or honda.

They are increasing localisation of the car, so I expect spare parts prices to come down. Also the sheer value of the car which is a segment above will make people think.

octy commands an exremely good re-sale value..if you look in to the second hand market, you will find petrol octys for nothing less than 7-8 lakhs, and diesel for about 8-9, even if they are 5-6 years old.

coming to the topic, yeah i think skoda are close to pulling a coup over the accord. Laura should be priced lower at about 12-14lakhs category, which is reasonable considering that the laura is actually a 2nd gen octy.

Well as Skoda Superb is priced lower than the previous gen. model even though latest superb is much better is priced lower and in Laura L&K category, i expect Skoda to price facelifted Laura in 15lac category otherwise Superb would eat into Laura's sale. And many will opt for Superb than Accord because Superb gives comfort and features of much higher class than Accord but Accord has better engine and looks and also i think its bigger than Superb..

Skoda has priced the new Superb very attractively. This will lead to a lower price (perhaps between Civic / Altis and Jetta) for the refreshed Laura, when it is launched and Octavia (if it is continued) may be pushed even lower to sub 10 lac category.

Now the segment between 10 to 25 lacs will see interesting fights in near future and will force Honda to come down from its high horse.

Looks like Honda has become too greedy and this time has shot itself in the foot, by pricing the V6 Accord at 25 lacs.

Although it has an innovative engine, an 8 lac premium over its 4 cylinder model does not make sense at all. And if we look at new Superb with all the superb features and tank like build available at 19 lacs, the V6 Accord does not look attractive at all. And for the same money, one can buy a VW Passat and at least I will prefer a VW over an Honda any day.

This is a segment that is chauffer driven. So sales would be mostly driven by rear seat comfort and looks. I feel Superb looks good in front of Accord which i feel is too radical. Any idea about the rear seat comfort of the two cars?

i think skoda has done a some good work in superb by offering a 1.8 litre engine.which has a turbo charger so that one can enjoy some serious speed and a small displacement engine which drinks less fuel...aci has quoted fe figures of 9 kmpl for superb in city which is bloody brilliant...people on this forum may be wanting a large engine but at present times it fouls with the green image of every manufacturer...nice thinking skoda !!!!

Thats a very aggressively priced Car. It's sure going to eat into the Laura's sales and maybe the Accords too. My worry is the engine power at 160 bhp does not seem very powerful, though nowadays and especially in India, I don't think it is bad. Personally, I would have loved to see a V6 under its bonnet and I don't like its frontal looks.

since the octy is aging i like to see a face lift before it really dies,i think without a new face it has very less time left in the showrooms! i know everybody loves the RS version but what is the real difference between the regular petrol and the RS except for the turbo charger? is it worth the other 300 to 400k ??

smokin2009-03-15 07:46:10

i think that octy will be discontinued soon because the base model of laura is for 13.2lakhs ex in delhi...

and with the discounts it comes below 13lakhs...

whereas the highest model will be selling around for 16lakhs soon..

as the surerb has been priced rightly...

kudos to skoda..

it will be hitting hard on the accord and the civic territory

When do i get the Keys??? smiley17.gif

But even a 1.8Turbo is Puny for such a big car.

Why do people look at cubic cms of volume to determine if the engine in puny or not. The CC part is one very small part of the engine's overall power out put process.It is the other plumbing along with the gear box which actually determines how the car will ultimately perform. So performance need not be directly proportional to CC. take it out of your head the future is of smaller and efficient and hybrid engines, If would do well for you to stock your garage with some large motors cause they are going to be

extinct very very soon.!!!