anijog

INDICATOR LAMP ETIQUTTE ON THE ROAD

I have been driving on Indian roads for the past 20 years and have never seen the correct use of indicator lamps on our roads.

I have seen cars being driven with HAZARD warning lamps on when driving in rainy season. I have seen RIGHT lamp indicators blinking when the car is parked on the left road shoulder. I have seen reverse lamps being rewired as FOG LAMPS on cars. I have seen cars overtaking with the LEFT indicators and then giving the RIGHT indicator to indicate their lane preference.
I have seen cars overtaking by putting ON HAZARD indicators.

DOES ANY BODY KNOW when these indicators are to be used?
I have complied a list of incidences where in which Indicator should FLASH, Open to all to correct me if wrong.

When car parked/break down on the road shoulder - HAZARD warning lamps should be ON.

When driving in FOGGY heavy rains - Both HEAD LAMPS and FOG LAMPS should be ON.

When driving in dawn and dusk conditions - HEAD LAMP ON LOW BEAM should be ON.

When Overtaking - RIGHT INDICATOR should be blinking and after completion of overtaking maneuver the LEFT INDICATOR should be briefly flashed to show that you plan to remain in that lane and if some body else wants to OVERTAKE you and if you are NOT in OVERTAKING lane you have to show your LEFT INDICATOR to show that you will remain to the LEFT and hence he is FREE to OVERTAKE.

IF YOU ARE IN THE OVERTAKING LANE and the person behind you wants to OVERTAKE but you are at the SAME TIME in position to OVERTAKE you INDICATE with YOUR RIGHT INDICATOR to indicate that you still want to OVERTAKE and that he SHOULD REMAIN BEHIND you.

If you are In the OVERTAKING LANE and DO NOT plan to OVERTAKE you should flash your LEFT INDICATOR and GIVE WAY by moving to the LEFT.

When driving without road illumination in the NIGHT -
ALWAY USE HIGH BEAM only DIP to LOW BEAM when the car in the OPPOSITE direction reaches NEAR YOUR BEAM THROW DISTANCE, SWITCH BACK TO HIGH BEAM thereafter.

When behind a car - dip to LOW BEAM and only AFTER overtaking that CAR switch to HIGH BEAM.

When on Illuminated road - USE LOW BEAM.

when driving in cities - DO NOT USE FOG LAMPS ain't it stupid? On HIGHLY ILLUMINATED ROADS like the MARINE DRIVE in MUMBAI, switch to parking LAMPS, my opinion.

FuelRunGod2009-03-13 14:06:42

Nice tips!!! In my town people use hazard indicators to go straight in islands!!smiley36.gif

Yup is done by everybody in my home town also... Both inidcators on are used to indicate straight movement :)

Have seen it regularly in bangalore also...

I completely agree, most people do not know how to properly use indicators.

Its common to see people using indicators on roundabouts, which is completely wrong. On highways overtaking signal is given by flashing right side indicator, another eg. of  being ill informed.

Taxi walas & truckers use their own language which can be misleading for general public. People tend to device their own sets of rules, without caring about what's actually right. Uneducation/illiteracy which has always been a bane for our Country, further fuels the use of wrong signals.

Btw, while driving in foggy conditions, fog lights & head lights on low beam should be used. Headlights are used for oncoming traffic to get a sense of us. Otherwise if high beam is used, light gets dispersed obstructing our own vision.

Further fog lights are only useful if they are placed at lower level, ie. to see the road as fog gets denser as we go up. People usually fix fog lamps at higher level, sometimes even on roofs, which is useless.
BornFree2009-03-13 16:13:48

Born Free over taking on Highways has to be indicated with the right indicator flashing until you complete the overtaking maneuver and after this you should indicate with the left indicator when you come back in to the designated lane.

Trucks going on a constant speed on the left side of the lane always flash on the Right Indicator continuously: You can overtake no need to ask permission..

Flash Headlight to ask permission to overtake, It is recognised instantly by the drivers and they flashes right indicator to you as a signal to overtake.

This might be misleading to few ,But the person who drives on highways will knw this.

Born Free over taking on Highways has to be indicated with the right indicator flashing until you complete the overtaking maneuver and after this you should indicate with the left indicator when you come back in to the designated lane.

IMO its wrong to flash right indicator while overtaking, for the vehicle following its indicates a right turn. While most use this indication on Highways, but its a self devised method, I don't think it finds a place in the rule book!

IMO its wrong to flash right indicator while overtaking' date=' for the vehicle following its indicates a right turn. While most use this indication on Highways, but its a self devised method, I don't think it finds a place in the rule book!
[/quote']

Anijog is correct about everything. It is not wrong, it is correct to show your right signal to show you  are moving in the right lane and then to move back in your own lane you show your left signal.

"MARINE DRIVE in MUMBAI, switch to parking LAMPS, my opinion."

This is wrong. No matter how bright the road may be lit, at night always drive with your headlights on. Headlights are also to show other people you are on the road. Here in nz bike riders have their headlights on full time its to be noticed.  

Lane change is diff. that is getting into fast/slow lanes on multilaned highways, using indicators on highways while overtaking would confuse both the oncoming & following traffic.

Well here in nz most high ways are two lanes. One lane going and one coming. If you want to pass a car you have to go on the wrong side of the road.   To do this we signal right to show we are moving in the right lane (on coming traffic) and once we finish we show left to show we are coming back in. It makes sense.

Most of the roads in India are also like that, but what is diff. is that there are many cuts/bylanes dotting our highways, so it becomes all the more confusing for both the oncoming & following traffic.

QUOTE=anijog]Born Free over taking on Highways has to be indicated with the right indicator flashing until you complete the overtaking maneuver and after this you should indicate with the left indicator when you come back in to the designated lane.

I second this . this is a right practice. Yes the right indicator flashing indicates that u are moving into right lane. dats it,

Now for the person driving behind you , how does it matter to him whether you are overtaking or taking a right turn? anywhich way u will be moving into right lane he has to be in control or get into the left lane.

You are moving into right lane is what matter and he should understand the signal.

I have seen many vehicles (Cars and Trucks) putting ON the Hazard Lights (Both Indicators Flash Simultaneously) while Driving (Not Parked) in Heavy Rain.smiley36.gif

Absolutely correct. Let me add a left indicator by the vehicle about to be overtaken shows that 'I am ready to be overtaken'.

As for flashing the headlamp in the UK is means 'Come On' and NOT 'Get lost' as it does here. In other words I am giving way to you is what it means.

Hazard lights are only to show what they mean, i.e. to be used in case of  breakdown. Those using them otherwise are themselves Hazards!

sgiitk2009-03-15 06:28:28

?

IMO its wrong to flash right indicator while overtaking' date=' for the vehicle following its indicates a right turn. While most use this indication on Highways, but its a self devised method, I don't think it finds a place in the rule book!
[/quote']Anijog is correct about everything. It is not wrong, it is correct to show your right signal to show you? are moving in the right lane and then to move back in your own lane you show your left signal."MARINE DRIVE in MUMBAI, switch to parking LAMPS, my opinion."This is wrong. No matter how bright the road may be lit, at night always drive with your headlights on. Headlights are also to show other people you are on the road. Here in nz bike riders have their headlights on full time its to be noticed. ?

True I most of the western countries other developed countries were the road speeds are generally high and the climatic conditions unfavorable most of the times the LAW states that the Headlamps should be permenantly ON.

When working in Kinetic Engineering LTD we were given these conditions by USDOT and had to carry out mods to make these mopeds adhere to them, I mean even a moped run in towns and city roads and sold in Malls were given these conditions, some of the USDOT conditions are very very stringent.

It is true that most countries require that the headlamps be on while the vehicle is running for two wheelers. Sweden (and may be other Scandinavian countries) also require Running Lights on four wheelers.

continuing on this topic I lost one of my ex-colleague in a xprway crash last Saturday when coming from Mumbai to Pune he expired on the spot, some say the truck which had failed was on the fast lane of the road without hazard indicators. However I fail to understand what the driver was doing at 0630 HRS in the MORNING!!! when the sunglight is quite clear being the start of the summer, only possibility is that the guy was dozing, what a waste, a small mistake took some off life's highway.

Further to this lamp users instructions, I am still amazed that some of the ARTO offices in some states for e.g. Gujarat have not changed rules regulation pertaining to head lamp. A quaint rule still followed in Ahmedabad is that you should have a yellow strip on the driver's side head lamp to avoid glaring on coming traffic!!!!!!

Will some body educate these boozos because god knows I tried, but to them a rule is a rule and I got promptly fined Rs.100 for not having it on my CS.

I find it funny to see that the double beam headlamps of cars like Liena and the XL carrying this ineffiectual yellow sticker of the corner.

This is OK on single round headlamps, still prevailing on commercial vehicles and some cars, and when MULTIREFLECTOR headlamps were not common.

Some states like Karnataka have to have a round dot on the center of the headlamp to diffuse the beam... AS IF the beam on the headlamp is like a LASER going straight for the eye smiley36.gif, but I think it is not strictly enforced there.

I think car dealers and manufactuers need to take this up with the respective state govts. When manual/auto levellers are now standard.

About the lane change indicators, it all depends from Country to Country. I have traveled widely in India & in the North, right indicator signifies "overtake"! This method is locally devised & the ones sticking to British view, might end up having the rear vehicle on top!

Its important to know the local moves or out of text maneuvers, without which driving lessons are not complete!

I am in disagreement here.

The indicator usage is universal in application. Changes with left to right or right to left drive conditions.

Please do not use locally applicable conditions, you seem to be very casual about it!!anijog2009-04-23 12:18:56

Correct indicator use for lane changes is beneficial on single lane highways, where traffic is coming headon, right indicator would send a signal to the oncoming traffic that you intend to turn right!

Also, the ones following would think you are indicating them to overtake.

Local signs/symbols cannot be missed/overlooked!

For oncoming traffic the indications are different that has also been mentioned in the topic, we are talking about the traffic behind you when overtaking.

In the senario you so mentioned you would be overtaking well before the oncoming vehicle matters, further to clarify your intentions you have to flash your main beams.

Any body on the road would understand these intentions.

For taking a right turn you do not overtake and take a right turn, you stop to the left wait for traffic to disperse give your right indicator and then proceed for the right turn.