akj53in

Maruti 800 will be cheaper by 40,000

As per a news broadcast by a TV news channel, Maruti has decided to reduce the price of 800 by Rs. 40,000/= to face the incoming Tata Nano.

But I dont think that this will have any impact on the sale of Nano. Though it will be good for entry level customers, there will be hardly any space left on the choked city roads. Driving will become even more nightmarish.

Thats business and the Japs have the best brains. This may have been a pre-planned move that could have come into play even in Oct 2007, when the Nano was due for the launch.MSIL was just sitting and watching Nandigram-Sanand-Uttaranchal and so on.

Maybe MSIL will offer more goodies on the 800's higher versions using this Rs 40 K as leverage.

Thats business and the Japs have the best brains. This may have been a pre-planned move that could have come into play even in Oct 2007' date=' when the Nano was due for the launch.MSIL was just sitting and watching Nandigram-Sanand-Uttaranchal and so on.

Maybe MSIL will offer more goodies on the 800's higher versions using this Rs 40 K as leverage.

[/quote']

Well, just think about the M800 owners who just bought the car. They will be so angry on Maruti. That will surely have an impact on stock market.

Well, just think about the M800 owners who just bought the car. They will be so angry on Maruti. That will surely have an impact on stock market.

Thats what goes on in this business day in and day out.Today its the 800 tommorow it may be the Swift after the Jazz and Punto's coming in mid-2009!

FuelRunGod2009-03-16 17:55:14

maruti 800 is anyday a better car than the tata nano and this is a step in the roght direction...the nano 624 cc engine is just a two cylinder engine...it will make the kind of noises made by an autorickshaw !!!!

40k is huge, this might be the best time to buy a 800!

But going by FRG's comment, there may be further cuts in near future.

Maruti knows how to play & play dirty at times!

For the next post:  Better or not, only time will tell, but what seems likely is Nano rewriting all the records set by 800!
speed2009-03-16 18:54:08

The nano seems more spacious (space has always been Tata's USP) and the 35 bhp mill is close to the 800's power output. So on paper, they seem like an even match.

Can't wait to experience a nano in the flesh.

smiley29.gif Now why am I posting in this in the "800 to be cheaper" thread!

Its just because, I agree with FRG on this one: at 1.8 L for a M800 and 1.4-1.6L for a Nano -- its no contest -- the Nano wins.

You could get a 2 wheeler and a Nano in the money that Maruti wants us to shell out for the 800. The only saving grace for Maruti (in the short therm) is that Tata will take a while to start producing the Nano in decent numbers.

Also, I wonder what happened to the "M800 is not Euro IV compliant" issue - Because, it seemed like the M800 was going to die of natural causes.

Any day M 800 is the best car.Its well proven in the Indian Market. But we haven't seen the performance of Nano. Normal petrol cars of Tata is itself a failure and no no among the buyers and how come Nano

Well till end MS said that they will not compete to Nano, but what is this..They should atleast stick to words..Nano sure has gave them sleepless nights, being new Nano will be better than M800 anyday if Tata has not messed up with quality..and i hope this time they will give a better product..

At the risk of sounding like a scratchy old record playing over and over again.

They will strip down the M800 to an extent which will make a go go dancer blush.

True but 800 is already a bare bones car and there is hardly anything left to strip further, unless Meruti decides to put in a plastic fuel tank and wooden seats minus the padding.

Well the labour strike under Dutta Samant in PAL-FIAT factory after the massive bookings of UNO killed PAL-FIAT and UNO and now Mamta Banerjee did her best to kill Nano but Tata's pulled on even after suffering the massive loss of writing off entire factory in Bengal.

The sole beneficiary in both the cases was MS.

People are free to draw their own conclusion.

the 40 k price reduction on 800 might sound little tempting for an nano buyer to stretch his/her budget if at all they eye the good old 800 (for not having to buy the cheapest car in the world) but the 800 has not got an face lift since1997.

smokin2009-03-17 15:00:37

But in the True value showrooms of Maruthi, you get a maruthi 800 starting from 60000/- with all after sales service provided by the Maruthi. Now a days even a premium 150cc 2 wheeler is not available at this price. I think its a wise decision to spend on that sort of investment. Even cheaper than Nano!

I predicted this a long time ago, in one of my posts on the Nano. M800 has been 'milked' dry by MSIL, it's only reason for existence is to spoil the Nano's party. Actually, they could have retained the Esteem to do battle with the Indigo CS, too; I think MSIL overlooked that.