Frienson

Safety tips for riding Bikes!!

Hi Friends,

I recently got a Hero Honda Hunk. Not accustomed to Chennai's traffic I was searching for some tips for driving bikes safely. Came across many sites such as http://chennai.88db.com/maa/Knowledge/Knowledge_Detail.page/Cars_Bikes/?kid=3 which was OKsmiley5.gif. But I need some more tips. Can anyone here suggest me some more safety tips.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations on your new purchase.Welcome to the forum.Have a lovely time here.Please introduce yourself first under the "Introductions" head.

For safety there are lots of  things one needs to take care of. Please read the Owner's Manual of the Hunk thoroughly. Never exceed the RPM and speeds recommended by the manufacturer during the running-in period.

As regards safety , always wear a helmet, fasten it and next is drive defensively. The road is full of rule breakers and we must try to be as defensive as possible because even if we are not at fault many others may be!

anjan_c20072009-03-17 12:03:52

Confidence is the very essential thing you need. Don't make any sudden movements, be it lane cutting or unnecessary acceleration or braking. And also watchout for other bikers, as i've seen in Chennai, they drive like as if they are alone on the road. If you drive for 2-3 days, you will get used to it. Happy riding.

Umm we "ride" a bike or a motorcycle.

Ok, jokes apart, a helmet is a number one priority followed by correct tyre pressures, with a pillion or without a pillion rider. Check the Motorcycles manual for running in period , operability of the engine in various gears (Shift timings) and always concentrate on the road while riding.

Pretty girls, fast cars and bone head jay-walkers are important factors to be taken into account as from my 5 years of riding a motorcycle in Bangalore has taught me. In chennai i think u shud be more careful about rowdy Bus drivers !

Oh and if external weather is harsh like its raining very heavily then the best option is to pull over or delay your journey by staying indoors. trust me riding a bike after its rained is too big a headache, right from mud around your shoes and dirty water from the road splashed by cars !

Even when the weather is perfect always stick to the correct lane, as most l-boards have the tendencies to drift on roads.

Last but not the least, have a valid driving license, up to date insurance policy, emission certificate and some spare cash if the cops are acting too cocky!

Happy riding!

Hi everyone,

Thanks a ton!!!!! for such a nice response!!

Its really helpful!!!!

One small question, how can I keep my bike safe from thieves??

Can I install theft alarm???????????

Frenson, i'd recommend not install theft alarm because it is an additional electrical component which is connected to the battery,self starter of your bike.

Though lot of people use it, and there aren't any problems with it, battery usage could be more, since it also is kept on after u lock the bike, as a security measure. Apart from that, nothing really good or bad about fixing something like that.

You get disc locks, but these will be quite a bit, so get a pad lock and put it through any hole in the front disc. If someone steals your bike, they will get a lovely supprisesmiley36.gif. Just make sure you aren't the one getting the knock.

Only problem with this is that your disc and shock will get damaged...