bluesapphire

J.D Power most dependable vehicles survey

I dont think this survey can be taken as granted for India. Just look at where VW is and we call them to be having excellent quality.

For India Suzuki wins the contest straight away. No other manufacturer trumps it to get even abovre the average. Will try to get the study and post it here.

These are the Indian Data

jdpower-vehicle-dependability-study-resu

image_thumb.png

image_thumb.png

jd-power-iqs-2008.png

J.D. Power Asia Pacific Reports:

Ford and Toyota Each Rank Highest in Two Vehicle Dependability Segments in India

The Auto Industry in India Posts Year-Over-Year Improvement in Vehicle Dependability

SINGAPORE: 29 May 2009

It does well because of obvious reasons that have nothing to do with it making good quality products.

First mover advantage.

Brand recognition and association.

Economical AKA Cheap products.

If you look carefully at the data Maruti does not fare well in the QUALITY survey. Besides the DeZire none of its car reached the first position in any other category.

EDIT: Maybe my reasoning is flawed but I cant help but to think that Maruti products are sub-standard and are much much below par its international rivals.

Personal experience - In August 2007 we bought a WagonR Vxi for hosuehold use and the very next month the i10 was launched. As soon as I sat in the i10 and drove it i realized what a blunder I had committed. I agree that the i10 may come at a premium price but considering the vast differences in pretty much every aspect of the car it seemed more than reasonable to be paying the extra amount. Even if i decided to spend no more than what I had on the WagonR, I would have still gotten a decent mid-version of the i10.
asethi9192009-11-09 18:34:47

Correct about the quality factor but then the indian market has huge scope for cheap and economical cars with low maintainance cost and Maruti has been successful in that field for a long time. But things r improving. 

Well MS is not that great at quality. But when you see the dependability of the vehicle it is pretty good. Also seeing the  Customer service and sales satisfaction we can see why 1 of every two cars sold is a Maruti. Espescially when you see the numbers that they do and still maintaining the top slot is commendable.

We can also see the quality which Honda provides, settles the question of why half the people going for C segment car end up buying city

People buy marutis because they are

-CHEAP

-Popular because of the first mover advantage

-ignorant and unaware customers do not bothr with other brand.

-Limited knowledge about the sub-standard quality that is being presented to them compared to other companies. I know people who have lived their entire life without bothering with any other car company and chances are they will not bother in the remainder of it either.

Barring a couple like TATA and Fiatand maybe Ford to an extent I cant think of any car company that is not reliable.

-Hyundai provides customer satisfaction and A.S.S better than anyone and still price their cars near to Maruti.

-European companies and Honda and Toyota among the Japs are known for their build quality.

Calling Maruti the best company in India is just wrong. they are far from being the best.

Another advantage is the huge variety in the small car segment. There are 8 small cars under maruti with various price tag to suite every1. Small car segment dominates in India still now. Maruti is not popular for the grand vitara but for altos and wagon r's smiley14.gif

GM nice pick up.

Okay i understand in india the chevrolets are best quality performance vehicle and do not sell due to badge name.

Members superb forum topic,sounds intresting.

Maruti Suzuki ranks 1st only when CSI or SSI are considered, vehicle dependability and quality are other things and MS never tops that. All agree that MS have good sales and service(atleast they have achieved something in 25 long years) but that doesnt ultimately means that they produce good products. Its just that people buy MS blindly having faith, otherwise WagonR cant even stand near say Santro or Spark when overall products are considered but still its selling, its simply due to ignorance and faith, here many people do not have knowledge and thus they always buy Maruti because it exists since long time.